Author Topic: Trump's Wins Turn Democrats' World Upside Down  (Read 525 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump's Wins Turn Democrats' World Upside Down
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:05:18 pm »
Leadership: Within the past few days, never-Trumper David Brooks praised President Trump.

"Saturday Night Live" admitted that he'd had a good week.

Willie Brown told Democrats to "stop bashing" Trump. And party officials bemoaned the liberal media's obsession with Trump scandals. It must seem to Democrats as if they woke up in Superman's Bizarro World.

On PBS this weekend, David Brooks — who in March 2016 penned a column for The New York Times titled "No, Not Trump, Not Ever" that claimed Trump was "epically unprepared to be president" and "an affront to basic standards of honesty, virtue and citizenship" — found himself praising Trump for his recent foreign policy wins.

Brooks suddenly discovered that Trump's background as a businessman provided some relevant experience for being president, particularly when it comes to dealing with "thuggish" leaders.
He even added that President Obama's argument for his now defunct nuclear deal with Iran — that it would moderate the extremists running that country — "turned out to be clearly false."
That's a double whammy from the guy who once gushed over Obama and his "perfectly creased pant."

"Like it or not," he wrote, "a significant number of Americans are actually happy these days. They are making money. They feel safe, and they agree with the president's protectionist trade policies, his call for more American jobs, even his immigration stance.

"The jobs growth reports, the North Korea summit and the steady economy are beating out the Stormy Daniels scandal and the Robert Mueller investigation in Middle America, hands down.
"So you are not going to win back the House by making it all about him."
IBD Newsletters

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/trump-victories-iran-north-korea-tax-cuts-economy-democrats-

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Trump's Wins Turn Democrats' World Upside Down
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:22:07 pm »
I think more and more people are beginning to realize that Trump is actually accomplishing things as President.

I also think more and more people are getting sick of the constant attacks from the press over insignificant stuff.

They tried to make a big deal about whether or not Trump paid sufficient attention to Melania's minor hospital procedure.

The Dallas Morning News hosted a big NRA summit at which Trump gave a speech and all the paper had to say about it was complaining about how much the event cost the Dallas Police Department.

I can just imagine how upset they would be with police expenses if Hillary or Obama came to town.

They have overdone it and made themselves both suspect and ridiculous.

If they had contented themselves with more subtle little digs and jabs, it would have worked better.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:42:23 pm »

"Like it or not," he wrote, "a significant number of Americans are actually happy these days. They are making money. They feel safe, and they agree with the president's protectionist trade policies, his call for more American jobs, even his immigration stance.

Notice that poor David Brooks cannot help but find something snarky and stupid to say against Trump even when he is giving an overall positive critique.

The language of "even his immigration stance" shows that Brooks thinks he has reason to be surprised on this particular issue.  Heck, Trump's immigration stance is one of the MOST important reasons why Trump won the ELECTION--not a previously unpopular position that is finally being accepted through a turnaround of public opinion.

It's the Democrats who have tried to use their open-borders stance as a political winner, whereas it has been a loser issue for them for years.  Brooks's discernment is underwhelming even when he gets some of the more obvious stuff right.

I wonder if Brooks will wind up surprised at the public reaction when Trump arrests HRC.  (I'll bet that Trump's popularity will shoot way up when he does arrest her.  A lot of folks regarded the prosecution of Hillary Clinton as Trump's most important campaign promise, and a lot of those anti-Clinton zealots are pretty irked at his delay in doing so.) 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:10:16 pm »
Notice that poor David Brooks cannot help but find something snarky and stupid to say against Trump even when he is giving an overall positive critique.

The language of "even his immigration stance" shows that Brooks thinks he has reason to be surprised on this particular issue.  Heck, Trump's immigration stance is one of the MOST important reasons why Trump won the ELECTION--not a previously unpopular position that is finally being accepted through a turnaround of public opinion.

It's the Democrats who have tried to use their open-borders stance as a political winner, whereas it has been a loser issue for them for years.  Brooks's discernment is underwhelming even when he gets some of the more obvious stuff right.

I wonder if Brooks will wind up surprised at the public reaction when Trump arrests HRC.  (I'll bet that Trump's popularity will shoot way up when he does arrest her.  A lot of folks regarded the prosecution of Hillary Clinton as Trump's most important campaign promise, and a lot of those anti-Clinton zealots are pretty irked at his delay in doing so.)

If Hillary actually gets arrested, I will dance till I drop.  After about 40 years of criminal behavior that's gone unpunished and mostly covered up by the press, I will be amazed if we ever get justice for this woman.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:21:12 pm »
If Hillary actually gets arrested, I will dance till I drop.  After about 40 years of criminal behavior that's gone unpunished and mostly covered up by the press, I will be amazed if we ever get justice for this woman.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:40:17 pm »

Prepare to be amazed.   (Ah, but also prepare to be patient a little longer.)