Author Topic: Alabama man paralyzed, 'fighting for his life' after coral snake bite, family says  (Read 3232 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Fox News
By Madeline Farber
May 11, 2018

An Alabama man who was recently bitten by a venomous coral snake is now "fighting for his life," his family said.

A coral snake, considered to be one of the most venomous species of snake in North America, recently bit Jeffrey Phillips outside his Gilbertown, Alabama home.

Phillips’ children were the first to spot the snake. Initially thinking the serpent was a harmless king snake, Phillips decided to catch it and give the snake as a gift to his older brother, who has owned snakes in the past, WTOK-News reported.

But shortly after, the dangerous coral snake bit Phillips. He was rushed to Anderson Hospital in Mississippi, where he remains in the intensive care unit.

(more)
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/05/11/alabama-man-paralyzed-fighting-for-his-life-after-coral-snake-bite-family-says.html
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

King snake.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
King snake.

Red on Yellow
Kill a Fellow
Red on Black
Throw it back

The weird thing is, when I read the headline the very first thought I had was, I'll bet he was playing with it. I don't know why. But that is what I thought.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Scarlet King Snake

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Luckily they're very shy, so you don't see them very often and they have small mouths so they have to get hold of something like your toes or fingers in order to envenomate.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Luckily they're very shy, so you don't see them very often and they have small mouths so they have to get hold of something like your toes or fingers in order to envenomate.

@Sanguine

They are supposed to exist at least as far north as Virginia,but I grew up in Virginia and spent a lot of time wandering around in the woods,and never saw one.

BTW,I have always heard black snakes being called King Snakes because they are so big and long they wrap around smaller snakes and just stretch and pull them apart. Once saw a big black snake and a big cottonmouth wrestling across my yard and raising up a cloud of dust at the black snake was trying to wrap around the cottonmouth,and the cottonmouth was trying to avoid it. They eventually got out into the tall grass that was knee high,and I lost all interest in watching them. I'm guessing the black snake won,though. They usually do.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

They are supposed to exist at least as far north as Virginia,but I grew up in Virginia and spent a lot of time wandering around in the woods,and never saw one.

BTW,I have always heard black snakes being called King Snakes because they are so big and long they wrap around smaller snakes and just stretch and pull them apart. Once saw a big black snake and a big cottonmouth wrestling across my yard and raising up a cloud of dust at the black snake was trying to wrap around the cottonmouth,and the cottonmouth was trying to avoid it. They eventually got out into the tall grass that was knee high,and I lost all interest in watching them. I'm guessing the black snake won,though. They usually do.

I love seeing rat snakes, racers and king snakes.  Means there's not going to be any rats or mice around.

Offline RoosGirl

Had a coral snake up at our front door about a year ago.  5 year old opened the door to run out and saw it.  Even he knew better than to mess with it.

Offline RoosGirl

I love seeing rat snakes, racers and king snakes.  Means there's not going to be any rats or mice around.

How about a pine snake curled up in the nest you're about to reach into to gather chicken eggs?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
How about a pine snake curled up in the nest you're about to reach into to gather chicken eggs?

No, that's different.   ^-^

What is a pine snake?  I'm not familiar with them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Sanguine

Another good reason to keep cats around. Cats LOVE snakes. They consider them to be "fast food you can play with before eating".  A snake can sometimes get lucky with a single cat if there isn't much room for the cat to maneuver,but has no chance at all against 2 cats. They will ratpack the hell out of him.

Offline RoosGirl

No, that's different.   ^-^

What is a pine snake?  I'm not familiar with them.

Found in the southeast.  Completely nonvenomous, they kill people by scaring them to death.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

Another good reason to keep cats around. Cats LOVE snakes. They consider them to be "fast food you can play with before eating".  A snake can sometimes get lucky with a single cat if there isn't much room for the cat to maneuver,but has no chance at all against 2 cats. They will ratpack the hell out of him.

Yeah, don't tell Freya or Cyber, but I'm not a cat person.  They make me sneeze and my eyes swell up.  Two dogs is enough for me. 

Offline mountaineer

Completely nonvenomous, they kill people by scaring them to death.
That describes every snake that I come across.

Silver Pines

@Sanguine

@sneakypete

Hey, Pete, where in Virginia did you grow up?

I like snakes; they’re beautiful animals.  Not long ago I saw a black snake or a king snake wiggling sideways, fast, across our driveway and down into the woods.  He looked like a black ribbon flapping in the wind.

This guy’s mistake was assuming the snake was harmless instead of knowing for sure.

Silver Pines

Found in the southeast.  Completely nonvenomous, they kill people by scaring them to death.

@RoosGirl

With that cute little face?

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl

With that cute little face?

What are you, its mother?

Offline mountaineer

I agree with this dog when it comes to snakes.
! No longer available

Oceander

I agree with this dog when it comes to snakes.
! No longer available

That’s an awesome video. 

Silver Pines

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl

Been called worse.

:laugh:

I think snakes look best as shoes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yeah, don't tell Freya or Cyber, but I'm not a cat person.  They make me sneeze and my eyes swell up.  Two dogs is enough for me.

@Sanguine

Let's just say you need to keep your dogs away from snakes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Hey, Pete, where in Virginia did you grow up?

Virginia Beach. Back when there was only 1 elementary school and 1 high school in the city.

I like snakes;

If it is not immediately recognizable in an instant as a garden snake or a black snake,they don't last long around me.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

Let's just say you need to keep your dogs away from snakes.

They're pretty savvy about snakes.

Silver Pines

:laugh:

I think snakes look best as shoes.

@RoosGirl

Okay, but kind of gaudy, don't you think?  I admit I like snake shoes, but I also like it when a snake winds itself around my hand and wrist...the scales sliding...know what I mean?

Probably going to have to delete this post, lol.