Author Topic: Share What you are listening to NOW?  (Read 178215 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Share What you are listening to NOW?
« Reply #1501 on: May 13, 2019, 06:06:13 pm »
A pair of splendid live albums . . .

Tedeschi Trucks Band, "Midnight in Harlem"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Tedeschi Trucks Band, "These Walls"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #1502 on: May 13, 2019, 06:39:44 pm »

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1503 on: May 14, 2019, 12:58:28 pm »
“Africa” since I just saw it on another thread.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline corbe

« Reply #1504 on: May 15, 2019, 01:49:19 am »
Tuesday Afternoon by The Moody Blues

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #1505 on: May 15, 2019, 01:59:49 am »
   Woke up this morning, glanced out the window and this song immediately popped in my head and been there off and on all day. Gonna share with yall. 

Good Day Sunshine (Remastered 2009)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Yestermorning was a bi1ch, will now share the song that haunted me yesterday.

Robert Cray Moan

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I'm making progress.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1506 on: May 15, 2019, 05:36:16 am »
From one time when gospel hit the dance floor . . .

The Mighty Clouds of Joy, It's Time

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1507 on: May 15, 2019, 12:59:20 pm »
From one time when gospel hit the dance floor . . .

The Mighty Clouds of Joy, It's Time

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@EasyAce

If you have ever attended Protestant services in the South on a Sunday,you would know that Gospel has ALWAYS been on the dance floor. Gospel is where country and R&B came from.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1508 on: May 15, 2019, 04:09:22 pm »
@EasyAce

If you have ever attended Protestant services in the South on a Sunday,you would know that Gospel has ALWAYS been on the dance floor. Gospel is where country and R&B came from.
@sneakypete
*laughing* I should have said the disco dance floor. The Clouds were also the first gospel group to be invited to play on Soul Train in the 1970s. About a decade earlier they kind of shook up their circuit with a stage style where they busted so many moves while wearing similarly colourful stage suits that they got the nickname "the Temptations of gospel." (It took awhile, though, from what I've read, for the black gospel circuits to get a group of ensemble singers busting moves like theirs. They may also have been the first black gospel group to add a full rhythm section to their stage shows, beyond the once-standard accompaniment of just one guitar or one keyboard. Pretty good for a bunch of guys who hooked up as southern California high school classmates in the late 1950s.) And they had another dance hit around the same time as their eponymous one:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Granted I was Jewish, but I grew up in large part in a small city off Long Island (Long Beach, itself a long, symmetrically-streeted island off Nassau County's south shore) where I had plenty of occasions to pass by classic storefront black churches and the music coming out of there gripped me enough, at least as much as rock and roll and blues and soul did. It was a small jump from there to listen to stuff like the Clouds and, in time, the Soul Stirrers (when Sam Cooke was their lead singer, before he went solo and R&B) and Mahalia Jackson. Thanks to an art teacher in high school who played it during our classes a couple of times a week I'd also gotten into jazz, and one of the first jazz albums I bought was Duke Ellington's remake of his 1943 experiment Black, Brown & Beige---with Mahalia Jackson singing the crucial "Come Sunday" segment. (Johnny Hodges, the Ellington alto saxophonist who'd previously made "Come Sunday" his feature whenever Ellington performed the suite, had left the Ellington group for a time when Ellington decided to have a crack at putting Black, Brown & Beige onto an album, so Ellington called on Jackson and she delivered.) Going from there to her classic sides for Apollo between 1947 and 1954 wasn't that big a jump, and brother did that lady have the goods!

I was also a fan of the Chambers Brothers and when I learned they'd begun as a gospel group I hunted some of that stuff down. If you ever get to hear Barbara Dane and the Chambers Brothers, cut just before they shifted full on to R&B and then their "psychedelic soul" rock style, though their old gospel style never really left them vocally, you're in for a treat.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:10:28 pm by EasyAce »

Offline corbe

« Reply #1509 on: May 15, 2019, 04:54:18 pm »
Easy Way ~ Adam Hood

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #1510 on: May 15, 2019, 05:19:05 pm »
A podcast called "In The Dark." Season 2 is about the Curtis Flowers case, which was recently before the SCOTUS.  Although it tells the story from the defense point of view, it is nonetheless a very interesting case in which the defendant was tried no less than 6 times for the crime, and has been on death row for 21+ years.  Having heard the entire series (Season 2) I am still inclined to think Flowers committed the crime, but it looks likely that both Kavanaugh and Roberts will support overturning the conviction based on the racism of the District Attorney.

https://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1511 on: May 15, 2019, 07:48:06 pm »
@sneakypete
*laughing* I should have said the disco dance floor. The Clouds were also the first gospel group to be invited to play on Soul Train in the 1970s.

I remember "The Mighty Clouds of Joy" well. I may be wrong,but I suspect they played on American Bandstand,and I NEVER missed American Bandstand.

Granted I was Jewish, but I grew up in large part in a small city off Long Island (Long Beach, itself a long, symmetrically-streeted island off Nassau County's south shore) where I had plenty of occasions to pass by classic storefront black churches and the music coming out of there gripped me enough,

Doesn't matter if you are Jewish or from another solar system,some things are universal,and if passing by some church in the 50's or 60 where they were singing and playing "Full Gospel" (not that watered down Pat Boone crap)  your feet would be moving and you would be smiling,or you were deaf. Or possibly stroking out with joy. Music was the opiate of fundie churches in the south,and it didn't matter if they were black churches,white churches,or Indian churches. They were all inventing da blues. Link Wray got his start singing and playing in a fundie Indian church in NC as a child. Anybody that doesn't think the whites,blacks,and Indians didn't mix it up socially on a Sattidy night or Sunday afternoon,never lived in the rural south back then.

BTW,despite what you have all been brainwashed to believe,there was VERY little conflict between southern blacks and whites back then,and most of the conflict that did happen was started by white and Jewish communist agitators from the north who were trying to get the blacks fired up to start a revolution to trigger a communist takeover of America.

the Soul Stirrers (when Sam Cooke was their lead singer,

I defy ANYONE to listen to Sam Cooke singing "A Change is Going to Come" and not be moved."

Thanks to an art teacher in high school who played it during our classes a couple of times a week I'd also gotten into jazz,

Don't let that worry you. We all know your heart is in the right place,and nobody is perfect.

and one of the first jazz albums I bought was Duke Ellington's remake of his 1943 experiment Black, Brown & Beige---with Mahalia Jackson singing the crucial "Come Sunday"

Nobody has ever gone wrong asking Mahalia Jackson to sing anything.

I was also a fan of the Chambers Brothers and when I learned they'd begun as a gospel group

EVERYBODY back then began by singing gospel,including Hank Williams and Johnny Cash. Gospel music originated in the Protestant Churches in the south populated primarily by Scotish and Irish immigrants,primarily in the Smokey Mountains. Came from combining hymns,work chants,and "hollers". "Soul Music" also came from the Protestant Church hymns. 

Rural blacks and whites had a hell of a lot more in common with each other than either did the creatures that populated the northern cities.

I hunted some of that stuff down. If you ever get to hear Barbara Dane and the Chambers Brothers, cut just before they shifted full on to R&B and then their "psychedelic soul" rock style, though their old gospel style never really left them vocally, you're in for a treat.

If I ever heard Barbara Dane,I have forgotten about it,but I sure haven't forgotten hearing the Chambers Brothers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1512 on: May 15, 2019, 07:51:52 pm »
A podcast called "In The Dark." Season 2 is about the Curtis Flowers case, which was recently before the SCOTUS.  Although it tells the story from the defense point of view, it is nonetheless a very interesting case in which the defendant was tried no less than 6 times for the crime, and has been on death row for 21+ years.  Having heard the entire series (Season 2) I am still inclined to think Flowers committed the crime, but it looks likely that both Kavanaugh and Roberts will support overturning the conviction based on the racism of the District Attorney.

https://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark

@massadvj

Maybe it's just me,but if I were the judge,I would be inclined to dismiss the charges and set him free even if he started confessing he did it." 6 TRIALS??????? The freaking DA should have be charged with attempted murder.

BTW,is there any way I can stream that on my ROKU? I don't have speakers for my computer.

BTW-2,never mind. I did a search on my ROKU,and can watch it for free on the CW channel. It's available for $1.99 per episode from VUDU and Amazon,for those who can't get the CW.

Thanks for the tip! I will be watching it tonight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:58:58 pm by sneakypete »

Offline corbe

« Reply #1513 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:00 pm »
Hard Working Americans - Down To The Well

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #1514 on: May 17, 2019, 12:49:53 am »
   Allman Brotheresque

The Black Circles - Bad Luck

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1515 on: May 17, 2019, 12:56:05 am »
WE are watching a documentary on Vikings so I heard that Led Zeppelin song about Vikings,

Offline corbe

« Reply #1516 on: May 17, 2019, 02:15:33 am »
   Now for a Pink Floyd reboot.

Midnight Blues ~ Snowy White

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #1517 on: May 17, 2019, 02:40:07 am »
Led Zeppelin - Thank You

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Ten Years Gone (1990 Remaster) ~ Led Zepplin

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

For my Bestest @Freya

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1518 on: May 17, 2019, 11:30:59 am »
@corbe thank you.  :beer:

How’s this for a song? The theme from “Golden Girls” lol!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1521 on: May 17, 2019, 01:16:06 pm »
Blue Moon in honor of tomorrow nights blue moon

Offline corbe

« Reply #1522 on: May 17, 2019, 05:21:37 pm »
Gurf Morlix "One More Second"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Your Sister - Gurf Morlix

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #1523 on: May 17, 2019, 05:58:48 pm »
Eb Davis - What You Gonna Do

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Robert Cray Band - When The Welfare Turns Its Back On You

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline corbe

« Reply #1524 on: May 17, 2019, 06:17:58 pm »
   I know it's not The Marcels, Sinatra, Jo Stafford, Dean Martin or even Billie Holliday but none of their Videos had half nekid women in them.

Chris Isaak Blue Moon

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1