Author Topic: Amherst College student 'murdered' in Mexico City made panicked call to his mom  (Read 1798 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Daily Mail
RICHARD POLLOCK
9:25 PM 05/09/2018

An American college student mysteriously found dead on Mexico City subway tracks made a panicked SOS call to his mother to say he was being arrested - before hanging up with the words: 'Pray for me', Dailymail.com can reveal.

Andrew Dorogi, 21, told his stunned mom Jonetta that four uniformed men he believed to be officers from the Mexican Federal Police were taking him to jail.

The Amherst College football player is understood to have abruptly ended the conversation without giving his location - or disclosing what he had supposedly done wrong.

That was the last communication she had with her honors student son shortly before he was found slumped on the tracks at the Camarones Metro station just after midnight on March 16.

DailyMail.com can also disclose that an independent autopsy carried out on Andrew's body once it arrived in the US allegedly discovered a broken nose and 'defensive injuries' that Mexican authorities seemingly overlooked before ruling out foul play.

(more)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5714709/Amherst-College-student-murdered-Mexico-City-asked-mom-pray-final-phone-call.html
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

One reason why you couldn't pay me to travel to Mexico.  My brother and his family and a number of other relatives and friends vacation there all the time.  I think they're all nuts.  Sure, we have crime here and a number of dangerous areas you don't want to be in even in broad daylight.  But compared to Mexico, the US is much safer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:53:00 pm by Applewood »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Why?
Why do Americans keep going to Mexico? It is one of the filthiest most dangerous places on Earth. Are they stupid? Is there a communications problem? Do they want drugs? What is the attraction of going to county where you are likely to be murdered? An American would be safer taking a vacation in Iraq than Mexico. And yet they keep going. Why? It is so confusing to me.

I have been literally all over the world. I am a military and government service veteran. I speak a little Spanish. And even I wouldn't dare go "vacation" in Mexico unless I was armed to the teeth and had an armored Humvee. It is suicide to go there. And that is just the violence. Everything there, the water, the food, the hotels, are all filthy and decrepit. A vacation in Mexico is more like a torture than a vacation. And yet, Americans keep going there.

Oh well. You can't fix stupid. Here is an article which explains it better than I am able.

Mexico: Where More Americans Are Murdered Than In All Other Foreign Countries Combined

Forbes
Logistics & Transportation #ForeignAffairs
Gary Stoller
FEB 21, 2018

With beautiful beaches, stunning landscapes, historic ruins and a myriad of business opportunities, Mexico has so much to offer American vacationers and business travelers. Millions of Americans visit the country annually without incident, but, if you heed the most recent government warnings and data, you may want to think twice about heading south of the border.

Advisories released last month by the U.S. State Department tell Americans not to set foot in five Mexican states — Sinaloa, Colima, Michoacan, Guerrero and Tamaulipas — because of violent crime. Traveling to those states is as dangerous, according to the State Department's safety ratings, as traveling to Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq. And Americans with plans to go to 11 other Mexican states should “reconsider,” the agency says.

(more)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/garystoller/2018/02/21/mexico-where-more-americans-are-murdered-than-in-all-other-countries-combined/#5e0505c9de37
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:40:59 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Mexico is a great example of anarchy.  You are subject to the whim of the cops and the resort owners.   Where they'll poison you with fake alcohol just to charge you with a bunch of fake hospital bills.  Plenty to see here in the US or in civilized countries like Yemen.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline al_c

Spent my honeymoon in Akumal back in the 90s. Beautiful area. Been to Cozumel twice and Progesso once ... and the most recent. No way in hell would I go back, except maybe for Cozumel. Especially with my teenage daughters in tow.
al_c

Offline Millee

That poor mother.   **nononono*

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Spent my honeymoon in Akumal back in the 90s. Beautiful area. Been to Cozumel twice and Progesso once ... and the most recent. No way in hell would I go back, except maybe for Cozumel. Especially with my teenage daughters in tow.

I was stationed in San Diego in the 90s and used to hop over to Tijuana on the weekend. Not a chance in hell I would ever do that today. The violence there today is insane. As is the filth and disease. Almost everyone who comes back from Mexico is ill. Usually with stomach problems but sometimes a lot more than that. I don't care how cheap the vacation package is. It is not worth getting mugged, killed, raped, or sick over it. No thanks. The Florida Keys are much more beautiful, safer, cleaner, and live in the 21st century.

I just saw a show called, I Survived, about a retired couple who decided to drive their RV across Mexico. This is the epitome of a very naive and unwise idea. When the Mexicans see an American car, it is like ringing a dinner bell for every criminal within five miles to 'come and get it'. Well of course, it goes without saying that, I think it was on the first or second day while parked close to a beach, they were mugged and robbed and abused and everything. They managed somehow to get the RV back on the road, through sheer luck, and said that they drove crazy people back to America. I cannot imagine the thought process that made them think that was a 'good idea'.

Offline Applewood

@240B

I have asked my relatives and friends why they insist on vacationing in Mexico.  They might say Mexico has great beaches.  Well, so does America.  Wonderful resorts.  Yes, and so does America.  One cousin likes a bar at one of the resorts.  I asked him why he couldn't find any good saloons here in the US. 

One thing that would drive me nuts is that when my Mexico-loving family and friends go there, they are pretty much confined to the resorts unless they take a tour with a reliable tour operator or something.  You simply can't venture out from the resort on your own without risking a mugging or worse.  When I travel, I want to explore on my own.  I don't want to be stuck in a hotel.  If I do that, I might as well stay home.

To each his own, I guess.  But I don't want to travel to a country where even the police are criminals and the food and water could kill me.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@240B

I have asked my relatives and friends why they insist on vacationing in Mexico.  They might say Mexico has great beaches.  Well, so does America.  Wonderful resorts.  Yes, and so does America.  One cousin likes a bar at one of the resorts.  I asked him why he couldn't find any good saloons here in the US. 

One thing that would drive me nuts is that when my Mexico-loving family and friends go there, they are pretty much confined to the resorts unless they take a tour with a reliable tour operator or something.  You simply can't venture out from the resort on your own without risking a mugging or worse.  When I travel, I want to explore on my own.  I don't want to be stuck in a hotel.  If I do that, I might as well stay home.

To each his own, I guess.  But I don't want to travel to a country where even the police are criminals and the food and water could kill me.

The only reasons I can think of to want to go to Mexico are all about things you can't easily find in America.
It is a cheap vacation (if you don't get mugged or robbed that is, and most likely you will)
Drugs are cheap and everywhere (if you don't get mugged trying to buy them, and you will)
Prostitution of any kind including child sex is cheap and available (but, you will be videoed for blackmail later)
You can get medicine and medical procedures there which are banned in the U.S. (but you will get a staff infection)
It is kind of an 'anything goes' environment which is attractive to a lot of people.

Cheap drugs and cheap sex, I guess? Those are probably the biggest attractions. I don't know. I agree with you. You have to be crazy to go down there for any reason. It is not going to work out for the best in the long run. That is for sure.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:29:20 pm by 240B »

Offline Victoria33

Living in Texas I have been to Mexico in past years.  I would never go there now.  I have also been to numerous other foreign countries and I wouldn't go to those, either now.  Two on that list, are China and Greece.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:31:15 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Playa Del Carmen got a travel warning in the past 6 months, then, at the end of March, we knew someone who went there on vacation.

The resort was a complex of about 6-8 hotels, a secured complex. I don't think they left the whole hotel complex one time. I still wouldn't want to go though, if one has to take such extensive measures for safety. It looked really nice and they had some animals from the jungle on the grounds themselves. Playa del Carmen is not far from Cancun and Cozumel. I would skip it all.

Mexico has a charm but the truth is, these kinds of problems have always existed down there, maybe today is on "steroids" per crime but it's always been there.

I think the rates right now, are dirt cheap to go to some of these places.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:16:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline LadyLiberty

I don't understand why people are still going there in droves, either.  My last trip was 25 years ago and I have no desire to go back.  Crime is climbing in the Yucatan.  They used to leave the tourists alone, but some pretty bad stuff is now encroaching on the resorts and gets reported on this fb page:  https://www.facebook.com/The-Merida-Yucatan-Bulletin-1511177422257942/

Offline skeeter

I don't understand why people are still going there in droves, either.  My last trip was 25 years ago and I have no desire to go back.  Crime is climbing in the Yucatan.  They used to leave the tourists alone, but some pretty bad stuff is now encroaching on the resorts and gets reported on this fb page:  https://www.facebook.com/The-Merida-Yucatan-Bulletin-1511177422257942/

Its not only crime. In recent years several Americans have been poisoned by bad alcohol served by the resort, or raped by resort staff. There's really no way to avoid physical risk down there.

Mexicans generally have never been fond of the gringo. Why anyone would want to spend their free time among people who despise them is a mystery to me.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Never been to Mexico.
Ain't goin' there, dead or alive.
(Well, I guess if I'm dead I won't have a choice...)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Living in Texas I have been to Mexico in past years.  I would never go there now.  I have also been to numerous other foreign countries and I wouldn't go to those, either now.  Two on that list, are China and Greece.

@Victoria33

What's wrong with Greece?

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33
What's wrong with Greece?
@TomSea

I have kept up with Greece.  Their economy collapsed in 2015, the government failed to pay bills, riots were everywhere, banks were closed, no one could get money, and food was scarce; food lines were long.  It was not safe.  Europe has had to bail them out over and over. 
That is explained here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/03/greece-economy-collapse-close-food-medicine-shortage

Now, in 2018, there is this:
"Greece Economic Growth
An improving labor market and recovering sentiment should help kick growth into a higher gear this year. The outcome of debt relief negotiations and a clean exit to the country’s bailout in August remain critical, however, to the economy’s long-term success. FocusEconomics panelists see GDP expanding 1.9% in 2018, down 0.2 percentage points from last month’s forecast. In 2019, growth is expected to be 2.1%."