Author Topic: Southern Poverty Law Center Calls Cinco de Mayo Festivities 'Textbook Cultural Appropriation’  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) thinks people in the U.S. who consume tacos and tequila on Cinco de Mayo are enganging in "textbook examples of cultural appropriation."

The SPLC—an organization that ostensibly tracks hate groups but defines "hate" broadly enough that some vocal critics of extremism, such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Maajid Nawaz, have turned up on the group's watchlists—sent the following tweet on the evening of the Mexican holiday:

Most of the festivities surrounding #CincodeMayo in the US are textbook examples of cultural appropriation, relegating the history and culture of Mexican people to novelty items. Mexican culture cannot be reduced to tacos, oversized sombreros and piñatas. https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/what-is-cinco-de-mayo …
5:00 PM - May 5, 2018

Read more at: https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/07/southern-poverty-law-center-cinco-de-may
The Republic is lost.

Offline Millee

A hate group is offended over a made up outrage.  They can go piss up a rope. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
A hate group is offended over a made up outrage.  They can go piss up a rope.

Total proof they are nothing but a front group for the left wing agenda. 'Cultural appropriation' wasn't even a thing till the lefty SJW's made it up a couple of years ago, now SPLC latches on to it like it's some mortal sin.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
One of my sons friends is working on a PhD in history.   Good person to ask all these questions of.

Cinco de Mayo is only celebrated in one town in Mexico.  It was originally a celebration of the defeat of the French by the Mexican army at the Battle of Puebla.  A little later we (America) helped Mexico push the French out of Mexico after France had installed a new President in Mexico.

So in reality this is a celebration of America working with Mexico to defeat the European invaders.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline GrouchoTex

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) thinks people in the U.S. who consume tacos and tequila on Cinco de Mayo are enganging in "textbook examples of cultural appropriation."

The SPLC—an organization that ostensibly tracks hate groups but defines "hate" broadly enough that some vocal critics of extremism, such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Maajid Nawaz, have turned up on the group's watchlists—sent the following tweet on the evening of the Mexican holiday:

Read more at: https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/07/southern-poverty-law-center-cinco-de-may

I think I will remind them of this on St. Patrick's Day.
Do you think the SPLC will agree?
 :cool:

Offline DB

So for most of the world, to use a toilet is culture appropriation...

So what.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Paddy O'Rourke was offended.  Blamed Cruz for celebrating cinco mayo de.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline The_Reader_David

It doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone on the left that the only culture that is upset by "cultural appropriation" is the culture of the Gramscian-Marcusian left (which arose in Europe, Gramsci and Marcuse like their intellectual forebearer Marx, being white males).

Actual Mexicans who are living in Mexican rather than Gramscian-Marcusian culture think Cinco de Mayo is silly, but aren't particularly offended, just as people who are actually living in Chinese culture think a white American woman wearing a qipao is a compliment to their culture, not something to get angry about.  Very traditional Native Americans tend to understand American Indian mascots as a tribute to the martial virtue of their forebearers (generally human sports mascots that aren't a peculiar tie-in to local history are tributes to martial virtue, my absolute favorite being the Yeshiva University Maccabees), while Native Americans and white "liberals" who are part of Gramscian-Marcusian culture are (or pretend to be) horribly offended.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good.  Cinco de Mayo is a stupid holiday and I refuse to celebrate it. 

Offline skeeter

Good.  Cinco de Mayo is a stupid holiday and I refuse to celebrate it.

You and the entire nation of Mexico.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
But it's yummy appropriation.  Definitely better than St. Patrick's Day. 
Margaritas and tacos > green beer and bangers and mash.
YMMV.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But it's yummy appropriation.  Definitely better than St. Patrick's Day. 
Margaritas and tacos > green beer and bangers and mash.
YMMV.

But those foods are staples of our diet here.  We don't need no special stinkin' day!

Offline andy58-in-nh

I think I will remind them of this on St. Patrick's Day.
Do you think the SPLC will agree?
 :cool:

The difference is, on St. Patrick's Day, everyone wants to be Irish.  :whistle:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They are desperate to continue to appear to remain relevant in order to keep the big bucks rolling in.

The truth is they are a subversive communist organization dedicated to destroying our way of life while making the wealthy leftist lawyers that run it even wealthier.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

You and the entire nation of Mexico.

Just like Kwanzaa in Africa.