Author Topic: Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas  (Read 1354 times)

Offline thackney

Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:14:51 pm »
Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas
https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy-efficiency/why-you-might-not-actually-need-premium-gas/
May 07, 2018

...To determine whether using regular gas in a vehicle that recommends premium gas had any effect on fuel economy or acceleration, we evaluated two models: a 2015 Acura TLX four-cylinder and a 2016 Nissan Maxima V6 (both shown below). Each recommends but does not require the use of premium gas. That guidance can be found on the inside of their fuel-filler door and is often explained in greater detail in the owner’s manual....

...All the tests were conducted following our stringent fuel-economy protocol, with consumption measured using an inline fuel meter.
Both sedans achieved the same fuel economy when tested with regular fuel as they did with premium. During this testing, the cars felt and sounded the same; we did not experience any engine pinging or knocking noise in either car when using regular fuel.

The owner’s manuals indicate that drivers might notice a decrease in performance when running on regular gas, but our test results said otherwise. The 0-60 mph acceleration times were identical in the TLX and Maxima on regular and premium gas....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Why You Might Not Actually Need Premium Gas
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:35:52 pm »
Interesting.

I wish CR would do similar testing between 85 and 87 octane.  I could save 30 cents a gal using 85, but am afraid to do so in spite of manual saying it is E85.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 10:51:34 pm »
Interesting.

I wish CR would do similar testing between 85 and 87 octane.  I could save 30 cents a gal using 85, but am afraid to do so in spite of manual saying it is E85.

85 and E85 are completely different things.  As far as 85 octane:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml#85

What is 85 octane, and is it safe to use in my vehicle?

The sale of 85 octane fuel was originally allowed in high-elevation regions—where the barometric pressure is lower—because it was cheaper and because most carbureted engines tolerated it fairly well. This is not true for modern gasoline engines. So, unless you have an older vehicle with a carbureted engine, you should use the manufacturer-recommended fuel for your vehicle, even where 85 octane fuel is available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In most areas, the standard grades are 87, 89-90 and 91-94 AKI.[49] In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel.[50] The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. However, since virtually all cars produced since the mid-1980s have fuel injection, 85 AKI fuel is not recommended for modern automobiles and may cause damage to the engine and decreased performance
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:57:39 pm »
Sorry... Conoco (group) Premium is all I'll use. High octane, no alcohol. And at least here in the Rockies, performance and longevity doing such affords real, and definitely noticeable results.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:07:56 pm »
Sorry... Conoco (group) Premium is all I'll use. High octane, no alcohol. And at least here in the Rockies, performance and longevity doing such affords real, and definitely noticeable results.

After working building and designing several fuel truck loading stations, I quit buying any "name brand" gasoline.

All the different trucks loaded with the same gasoline from the same giant tank.  The only difference being which squirt of additive gets added.  But detergents for cleaning fuel injectors and the like have been required in all gasolines since 1995.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 12:35:03 pm »
After working building and designing several fuel truck loading stations, I quit buying any "name brand" gasoline.

All the different trucks loaded with the same gasoline from the same giant tank.  The only difference being which squirt of additive gets added.  But detergents for cleaning fuel injectors and the like have been required in all gasolines since 1995.

:thumbsup:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn