Author Topic: McCain's inner circle planning on having Pence, not Trump, at funeral: report  (Read 9983 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online mountaineer

The New York Times
At His Ranch, John McCain Shares Memories and Regrets With Friends
By JONATHAN MARTIN

PHOENIX — When former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. traveled to Senator John McCain’s Arizona ranch last Sunday to spend a few hours with his ailing friend, the two reminisced about the “crazy senators” they had served with, the overseas trips they took together for decades and the friendship Mr. McCain forged with Mr. Biden’s two sons.

But the conversation on the sun-splashed deck off Mr. McCain’s bedroom was not all nostalgia.

“Here John knows he’s in a very, very, very precarious situation, and yet he’s still concerned about the state of the country,” Mr. Biden said in an interview. “We talked about how our international reputation is being damaged and we talked about the need for people to stand up and speak out.”  ...    *****rollingeyes*****
NYT story via MSN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I remember bumperstickers in '09 saying, "Don't blame me, I voted for the gray haired dude" (or words to that affect). I didn't have one of those but if I had one, I probably would have put it on my car.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/386359-mccains-inner-circle-planning-on-having-pence-not-trump-at-funeral-report

Those close to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) have told the White House that their plan for the Arizona Republican's eventual funeral is to have Vice President Pence attend — but not President Trump, The New York Times reports.

The funeral is expected to take place at the Washington National Cathedral, according to the Times.

But Trump, with whom McCain has had a tempestuous relationship, is not expected to attend the service, at least not according to current planning, the Times reported.

Offline TomSea

Boy, you must not look to see what other articles are posted, maybe it is in national, but this was already posted and got a lot of responses.

@Once-Ler

I might find it myself.

Offline TomSea

Silver Pines

I don’t have any particular use nor liking for John McCain, but I’m not going to celebrate his death.  My mother taught me better.  It’s just politics, after all.  I’d at least have to know someone to despise him.

Besides that, I can’t help but think of Meghan McCain.  She’s about to lose her father.  I know, I know...she’s a fat bimbo who dissed Sarah Palin, so who cares, right?  Well, I’ve been there, and it’s a terrible place, so I can’t find it in me to yuck it up.  Y’all carry on, though.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@CatherineofAragon  Thank you for saying that!!!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump at his funeral is ‘real moment for the country’
By Jacqueline Thomsen - 05/07/18 07:24 AM EDT

CNN’s Jake Tapper is weighing in on a New York Times report that Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) doesn’t want President Trump at his funeral, calling it a “real moment for the country.”

“This is a real moment for the country where an American hero, somebody who is beloved in many, many ways is saying, ‘I don’t want this guy at my funeral,’” Tapper said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

The Times reported Saturday that McCain's inner circle has communicated to the White House that the senator would like Vice President Mike Pence to attend his eventual funeral at the Washington National Cathedral, but not Trump.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/386471-jake-tapper-mccain-not-wanting-trump-at-his-funeral-is-real-moment-for-the
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

I don’t have any particular use nor liking for John McCain, but I’m not going to celebrate his death.  My mother taught me better.  It’s just politics, after all.  I’d at least have to know someone to despise him.

Besides that, I can’t help but think of Meghan McCain.  She’s about to lose her father.  I know, I know...she’s a fat bimbo who dissed Sarah Palin, so who cares, right?  Well, I’ve been there, and it’s a terrible place, so I can’t find it in me to yuck it up.  Y’all carry on, though.

Yes, I feel for McCain's family certainly and certainly I wouldn't wish failing health and cancer on anyone.  However, think of all the POW's and MIA's that were left behind as a result of his actions and think of their families.  Do you not think that they are going to celebrate with reason?  Perhaps the term celebrate isn't quite the correct term, but perhaps rather those families will finally feel a sense of peace after his passing.

Just politics? Think of the determent has has placed on this country by pretending to be a Republican, yet acting and voting like a Democrat.  That's out and out deceitful and dishonest.

McCain's actions right now IMHO are indicative of his character.  Here he is in his final days and instead of trying to make things easier on his family by peacefully trying to spend his final days with them, he chooses to spend his final days berating others. 

I anticipate he will have a funeral like no other as a past Senator and a past decorated war hero.  I find it rather odd and quite narcissistic that he's obviously planning his own funeral by selecting who's going to speak at his funeral.

Again his concentration is on himself and ensuring that he makes him self look good all the while berating and dissing others. Most people would be concentrating on spending their final days with family. That speaks volumes about his character or lack thereof.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

In the same light, I highly doubt Trump would want to attend his funeral in the first place. 

Maybe Trump should hold some kind of press conference or rally on the same day. It would be interesting to see which event would receive the most press coverage.  I think Johnny is expecting press coverage for days if not weeks.

Not a huge Trump fan, but I am definitely not a McCain fan. I am proud to say that I didn't vote for the guy and I sure as heck have no intention of watching his funeral.  I look at things as the Republican Party will be minus one less RINO after his passing.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
While he dithers, and we wring our hands, AZ has 1/2 of the representation in the Senate.  Some sense of "duty."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@CatherineofAragon
I'm confused.    John McCain is one of the primary reasons the repeal of Obamacare failed.  He's also the reason several other conservative agenda items failed to pass the Senate.    He worked with Hillary and Obama to create ISIS, arm Al Qaeda in Syria, and push the overall Arab Spring series of civil wars.

You condemn Trump for failing to repeal Obamacare but won't condemn McCain even as he works from his deathbed to empower the Leftists and Globalists.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Here's a more interesting tidbit ...

And some of his associates, though not his family, have started to quietly put out word that they want a “McCain person” eventually appointed to fill his Senate seat, a roster that includes his wife, Cindy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/us/politics/john-mccain-arizona.html

Offline libertybele

:beer:  Yes, McCain is busily insuring that his funeral will be as dramatic as possible.  You can bet he and his family are putting in place safeguards and a security team to ensure that there will be no televised protests against him at his funeral.

Online roamer_1

“This is a real moment for the country where an American hero, somebody who is beloved in many, many ways is saying, ‘I don’t want this guy at my funeral,’” Tapper said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

Beloved in many, many ways???
I won't say much past this, considering his condition - That is one cantankerous old bastard, and I doubt much love is wasted there.

Not a huge Trump fan, but I am definitely not a McCain fan. I am proud to say that I didn't vote for the guy and I sure as heck have no intention of watching his funeral.  I look at things as the Republican Party will be minus one less RINO after his passing.

That's right.

Offline libertybele

Here's a more interesting tidbit ...

It's going to be hard to find someone who is just a despicable as he is to fill his seat.  It seems that has wife has remained for the most part very quiet; meanwhile her husband is still throwing stones.  Yeppers.  What a 'maverick'.  I see him as an embarrassment.

Offline dfwgator

They're going to turn McCain's funeral into a "Wellstone Moment".

Offline skeeter

Beloved in many, many ways???
I won't say much past this, considering his condition - That is one cantankerous old bastard, and I doubt much love is wasted there.

That's right.

Tapper has always been enamored with McCain. Which is really weird - he's such an easy guy to dislike, even for a guy who once worked at Salon.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
McCain's a fellow alumni, and served honorably.  Trump attacking him during the campaign for having been a POW is probably the lowest Trump has ever sunk.

That being said, McCain is a self-righteous, overweening bleep.  The entire idea of him getting to choose who replaces him is revolting.  That Senate seat belongs to the people of Arizona, not to him.

Offline skeeter

That being said, McCain is a self-righteous, overweening bleep.  The entire idea of him getting to choose who replaces him is revolting.  That Senate seat belongs to the people of Arizona, not to him.

His attitude of entitlement to that seat sums up the problem with the deep state in a nutshell. He is/was its embodiment.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Silver Pines

Yes, I feel for McCain's family certainly and certainly I wouldn't wish failing health and cancer on anyone.  However, think of all the POW's and MIA's that were left behind as a result of his actions and think of their families.  Do you not think that they are going to celebrate with reason?  Perhaps the term celebrate isn't quite the correct term, but perhaps rather those families will finally feel a sense of peace after his passing.

Just politics? Think of the determent has has placed on this country by pretending to be a Republican, yet acting and voting like a Democrat.  That's out and out deceitful and dishonest.

McCain's actions right now IMHO are indicative of his character.  Here he is in his final days and instead of trying to make things easier on his family by peacefully trying to spend his final days with them, he chooses to spend his final days berating others. 

I anticipate he will have a funeral like no other as a past Senator and a past decorated war hero.  I find it rather odd and quite narcissistic that he's obviously planning his own funeral by selecting who's going to speak at his funeral.

Again his concentration is on himself and ensuring that he makes him self look good all the while berating and dissing others. Most people would be concentrating on spending their final days with family. That speaks volumes about his character or lack thereof.

@libertybele

Look, I’m not going to second-guess a dying person’s last decisions, for God’s sake.  It’s just...well, I don’t get it.  I don’t agree with having Obama there, but it isn’t as though we don’t know McCain’s leanings already.  So I don’t understand the shock.  It’s typical McCain. 

The guy is literally spending the last moments of his life, so complaints that he’s being self-centered as a brain tumor kills him are incredible.  I mean, really?  And what’s the deal about him not spending the time with his family?  Where is he, at Disney World?  I don’t see how making a statement takes away from family time. 

Those families you mention can do whatever they want.  And yes, just politics.  It’s all theatre and bull crap, if you’ve noticed. 

As far as McCain’s voting record, you’re absolutely right.  But he’s not alone.  Remember how the GOP lied for seven years about getting rid of Obamacare?  That’s a lot of future funerals to party over.