Author Topic: McCain's inner circle planning on having Pence, not Trump, at funeral: report  (Read 9993 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Am I being a little gauche by thinking I'll be glad when he is buried, and forgotten?

The John McCain Death Tour is getting a little annoying.
Only a little more gauche than me thinking I'll be glad when he is buried, and forgotten so the GOP can move on to a new scapegoat for it's failures.

Offline libertybele

Am I being a little gauche by thinking I'll be glad when he is buried, and forgotten?

I think McCain's death will bring about an emergence of untold 'truths' about him and perhaps a documentary or two and a least one movie. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I think McCain's death will bring about an emergence of untold 'truths' about him and perhaps a documentary or two and a least one movie.

The Maverick?  That movie would DOA on the silver scorn.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To be fair, perhaps the Trump "disinvitation" is to honor Mrs. McCain's wishes.  (Completely aside from how anyone here feels about McCain) if someone had made the kind of insulting comments (which I think went beyond political slings and arrows) the President did about my husband, I would scratch his eyes out if he showed up to pay his "respects". 

Given the history between these two men, it seems kinder for everyone for the President not to attend.

@LauraTXNM

In addition, while we're spending page after page after page arguing a hypothetical, I haven't heard one word about whether Donal Trump would even accept an invite to the Mavericks funeral.  Maybe, in all honesty, I missed it in the flurry of merging threads....

I do think you make a good point.  We don't really know where this "snub" is coming from, and the family is well within their rights as humans to not want Donald Trump there.  I think they'd be more willing to keep Obama away, but who knows....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Hatch says 'It's ridiculous' that McCain doesn't want Trump at his funeral
Bryan Schott, Managing Editor

Details
    Written by Bryan Schott, Managing Editor   
    Category: Today At Utah Policy   
    Created: 07 May 2018

Friends of Sen. John McCain have said the ailing Arizona Republican does not want President Trump to attend his funeral. Sen. Orrin Hatch says McCain should reconsider that request.

McCain has made it known he would prefer Vice President Mike Pence attend his funeral instead of Trump who has mocked the former GOP presidential nominee several times.

Read more at: http://utahpolicy.com/index.php/features/today-at-utah-policy/16611-hatch-says-it-s-ridiculous-that-mccain-doesn-t-want-trump-at-his-funeral

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Neither of them should go.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Silver Pines

To be fair, perhaps the Trump "disinvitation" is to honor Mrs. McCain's wishes.  (Completely aside from how anyone here feels about McCain) if someone had made the kind of insulting comments (which I think went beyond political slings and arrows) the President did about my husband, I would scratch his eyes out if he showed up to pay his "respects". 

Given the history between these two men, it seems kinder for everyone for the President not to attend.

@LauraTXNM

Yes, the thought occurred to me, too. 

Objectively, I don't think it's at all surprising that McCain and/or his family would prefer Trump not attend.

And if he's really so close to death, it's entirely possible he isn't making any of these statements.  He might be hooked up to machines with his family or his aides pumping stuff out to the media.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Neither of them should go.

Not only that, but...just as they pulled the figurative rug from underneath Andrew McCabe at the eleventh hour, ...immediately upon announcement of his death, they should name/nominate his replacement.

No other comment should be necessary.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline driftdiver

@LauraTXNM

Yes, the thought occurred to me, too. 

Objectively, I don't think it's at all surprising that McCain and/or his family would prefer Trump not attend.

And if he's really so close to death, it's entirely possible he isn't making any of these statements.  He might be hooked up to machines with his family or his aides pumping stuff out to the media.
@LauraTXNM @CatherineofAragon

If that's the case the classy way to handle it would be to use personal communications to quietly communicate her wishes.

And not make a public spectacle to which Trump cannot respond.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

If that's the case the classy way to handle it would be to use personal communications to quietly communicate her wishes.

Bingo.  This was calibrated to damage Trump, personally.  Thing is, such a dick move isn't below anybody who surrounds McCain (including McCain), so it tells me nothing about whether he's still above room temperature.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline darroll

How long before we can piss on his grave?
<chuckle>

Offline skeeter

Only a little more gauche than me thinking I'll be glad when he is buried, and forgotten so the GOP can move on to a new scapegoat for it's failures.

I thought you already had that scapegoat thing handled.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@catfish1957

He won't be forgotten while most of us are still living. Some toad will stand up in the Senate and mention McLunatic and what a great man,war hero,and Senator he was,and then mention how happy he would be to support this new legislation if he were still alive.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
<chuckle>

@darroll

How long will it take you to get me a round-trip ticket to Az?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@darroll

How long will it take you to get me a round-trip ticket to Az?

He's not going to be buried here....
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

@driftdiver

He’s on his freaking deathbed and I’m not going to expect “classy” behavior in that context, nor be concerned with whether a man’s dying breaths benefit Trump.  You go ahead, though.

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

He’s on his freaking deathbed and I’m not going to expect “classy” behavior in that context, nor be concerned with whether a man’s dying breaths benefit Trump.  You go ahead, though.

@CatherineofAragon

In my experience the deathbed brings out the truth of the person.  Choosing to go out bitter, angry and attacking people is telling of the man and family.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

In my experience the deathbed brings out the truth of the person.  Choosing to go out bitter, angry and attacking people is telling of the man and family.

@driftdiver

I don’t know about that.  Maybe.  It could also be said that absence of mercy and compassion for the dying accomplishes the same thing. 

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

I don’t know about that.  Maybe.  It could also be said that absence of mercy and compassion for the dying accomplishes the same thing.

@CatherineofAragon
Sure, until those dying strike out with cheap shots at anything and everything.  Especially after decades of working to undermine a free America

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@driftdiver @CatherineofAragon

I think this isn't a black and white issue, and a number of reasonable stances can be taken here.  He's not a nice man, his dying actions are not nice, but we also need to be careful about what we say about him, because that reflects on us more than him.  And, we need to not hide the truth - as much as we know the truth of the matter. I appreciate Catherine being extremely charitable with regard to Mr. McCain, and I appreciate those who try to make sure that truth doesn't die with McCain.  Stepping off of my soapbox now... :bolt:

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver @CatherineofAragon

I think this isn't a black and white issue, and a number of reasonable stances can be taken here.  He's not a nice man, his dying actions are not nice, but we also need to be careful about what we say about him, because that reflects on us more than him.  And, we need to not hide the truth - as much as we know the truth of the matter. I appreciate Catherine being extremely charitable with regard to Mr. McCain, and I appreciate those who try to make sure that truth doesn't die with McCain.  Stepping off of my soapbox now... :bolt:

@Sanguine
Which was why I pretty much held my tongue until the attacks by him or his family started.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine
Which was why I pretty much held my tongue until the attacks by him or his family started.

I happen to think you are both correct in your approaches as different as they are.

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CHRISTIAN POST

URL: https://www.christianpost.com/news/john-mccain-doesnt-want-trump-funeral-obama-eulogist-instead-223721/

by Stoyan Zaimov

Arizona Senator John McCain, who for nearly a year has been diagnosed with brain cancer, has reportedly said that he does not want U.S. President Donald Trump attending his funeral.

Instead, McCain would like former presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush reading his eulogy, NBC News said on Saturday based on a conversation with an unnamed source close to the 81-year-old politician.

"I don't know how much longer I'll be here," McCain separately says in an audio clip shared by NPR ahead of the release of his memoir, The Restless Wave.

Trump and McCain, who is a Vietnam war veteran and was a prisoner of war, have clashed over a variety of issues.

Trump controversially claimed during the run-up to the 2016 presidential primaries that McCain was only considered a hero "because he was captured" during the war, with the future president saying he prefers military heros who have not been captured.

McCain was said to be "deeply hurt" by Trump's comments, though in February 2018 his daughter Meghan, co-host of ABC's "The View," said in an interview with Politico that she does not expect Trump to continue criticizing her father's war service.

Mr. Trump] actually reached out to me and we had a very nice conversation and I feel comfortable going forward if he would say or do anything in the realm of talking about my father's war injuries in that nature, I don't think he would go there again," she said at the time.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline RedHead

Why is this a surprise?  "He's a hero because he was captured.  I like heroes who weren't captured."  How does McCain forget a comment like that?

Offline driftdiver

Why is this a surprise?  "He's a hero because he was captured.  I like heroes who weren't captured."  How does McCain forget a comment like that?

The bad blood between them predated that comment.