Author Topic: Late actress paid the cheapest rent in New York’s Greenwich Village—$28.43 a month  (Read 1182 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Hannah Frishberg
May 10, 2018

When Patricia O’Grady moved into the top floor of a Greenwich Village walk-up in 1955, she and her three roommates helped sweep the hallway in exchange for a discounted rent of $16 a month.

The unit was bare, no more than floor and walls, so the girls, all aspiring actresses, slowly improved it themselves, installing a sink and other modest amenities. While her roommates moved on, O’Grady never left the unit, and for that she received the ultimate New York City prize: unbelievably affordable rent.

[...]

With O’Grady gone, Pomerantz will be gutting and renovating the apartment, renting it out as a two-bedroom in the $5,000 range.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/late-actress-paid-the-cheapest-rent-in-new-yorks-greenwich-village2843-a-month-2018-05-10

Offline Frank Cannon

Outrageous. What a genuinely shitty city.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Saw the article in the Post a few days ago. I'm in a rent controlled s%** hole too. I pay $1100 a month. Rent goes up between $5-8 a year, but it's a dump, close to the Outerbridge Crossing.

I wish I could move but a nice apt will be between 1700-2000 a month or more. Heck, some are as high as 3k
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:39:21 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️