Author Topic: Russia Launches Floating Nuclear Power Plant; It's Headed To The Arctic  (Read 964 times)

Offline thackney

Russia Launches Floating Nuclear Power Plant; It's Headed To The Arctic
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/30/607088530/russia-launches-floating-nuclear-power-plant-its-headed-to-the-arctic

A massive floating nuclear power plant is now making its way toward its final destination at an Arctic port, after Russia's state nuclear corporation Rosatom launched the controversial craft over the weekend. It's the first nuclear power plant of its kind, Russian officials say.

Called the Akademik Lomonosov, the floating power plant is being towed at a creeping pace out of St. Petersburg, where it was built over the last nine years. It will eventually be brought northward, to Murmansk – where its two nuclear reactors will be loaded with nuclear fuel and started up this fall.

From there, the power plant will be pulled to a mooring berth in the Arctic port of Pevek, in far northeast Russia. There, it will be wired into the infrastructure so it can replace an existing nuclear power installment on land....

..."The nuclear power plant has two KLT-40S reactor units that can generate up to 70 MW of electric energy and 50 Gcal/hr of heat energy during its normal operation," Rosatom said. "This is enough to keep the activity of the town populated with 100,000 people."...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
gee what could go wrong
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
OK a little research shows this type of reactor is what they normally use on ocean going vessels.  Like ice breakers and subs
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

The construction of this started in 2007.

Russian floating reactor construction starts
http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/newsarticle.aspx?id=13250

Life is fragile, handle with prayer