Author Topic: Texas City hosts first Supertanker as U.S. crude gushes  (Read 1177 times)

Offline thackney

Texas City hosts first Supertanker as U.S. crude gushes
« on: April 30, 2018, 12:48:51 pm »
Texas City hosts first Supertanker as U.S. crude gushes
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Texas-City-hosts-first-Supertanker-as-U-S-crude-12869098.php
April 27, 2018

A 2 million barrel-carrying supertanker arrived for the first time at a jetty in Texas City as surging U.S. oil output drives up incentives to export.

The Nave Quasar, a Very Large Crude Carrier, signaled from the jetty at the Gulf of Mexico terminal on Friday morning, according to vessel-tracking data compiled by Bloomberg.

The tanker is being brought into Enterprise Products Partners LP's Texas City terminal to determine measurements for future VLCC loadings, at least of partial cargoes, according to a person familiar with the matter. Nave Quasar will not load any supplies at this time for shipment, the person said. This site's water depth, also known as draft, needs to be increased to about 76 feet from 45 feet to enable supertankers to fully load. The company said it was too premature to discuss the project....

...Shipments on VLCCs have proven difficult from U.S. Gulf Coast ports where waters can be too shallow once carriers are fully loaded, meaning cargoes move on smaller ships. It still remains to be seen how much oil Nave Quasar will actually load. Another carrier, the Anne, tested at the Port of Corpus Christi last May but didn't collect a cargo....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Texas City hosts first Supertanker as U.S. crude gushes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:51:27 pm »

Gross Tonnage:  152727
Deadweight:  297376 t
Length Overall x Breadth Extreme: 330m × 60m
Draught   11m
Year Built:  2010

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/477881300

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:690000/zoom:14
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:55:59 pm by thackney »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:50:33 pm »
"A 2 million barrel-carrying supertanker arrived for the first time at a jetty in Texas City as surging U.S. oil output drives up incentives to export."

Sumthin' this dumb old guy doesn't get.
What happened to the laws of supply and demand?

In the past weeks, crude oil prices, along with the price of gasoline at the pump, have been jumping up.

If we have "so much crude" that we can export it, why not keep it here so that the excess supply would put a downward pressure on domestic prices?

Unlike the other "more educated" folks of this forum, it's clear to me that the lower oil prices are, the better it is for the overall economy.
Better at the manufacturing level.
Better for the "transportation sectors".
Better for the retailers.
Better for the consumer.

The ONLY folks who this probably isn't "better" for are those who make their money within the oil industry. I can see why THEY would complain. I post this expecting such efforts to "correct my thinking" on the matter (but it ain't gonna be "corrected", so don't waste too much breath).

I agree with Mr. Trump, who has said that the price of oil was being kept artificially high.

It's time to knock it down a bit.

I also believe that we should husband our resources for generations to come. That means that what we produce here... should be used here.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:51:35 am by Fishrrman »

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:12:53 pm »
"A 2 million barrel-carrying supertanker arrived for the first time at a jetty in Texas City as surging U.S. oil output drives up incentives to export."

In the past weeks, crude oil prices, along with the price of gasoline at the pump, have been jumping up.

If we have "so much crude" that we can export it, why not keep it here so that the excess supply would put a downward pressure on domestic prices?

Unlike the other "more educated" folks of this forum, it's clear to me that the lower oil prices are, the better it is for the overall economy.
Better for the consumer.

The ONLY folks who this probably isn't "better" for are those who make their money within the oil industry. I can see why THEY would complain. I post this expecting such efforts to "correct my thinking" on the matter (but it ain't gonna be "corrected", so don't waste too much breath).

I agree with Mr. Trump, who has said that the price of oil was being kept artificially high.

I also believe that we should husband our resources for generations to come. That means that what we produce here... should be used here.

We mostly export the expensive lighter sweeter oil and import cheaper heavier sour oil.  We tend to have the most advanced refineries in this part of the world and are more able to efficiently process that cheaper oil.

Prices are going up because the surplus stocks have been coming down, both in the US and the rest of the world.  Demand has risen faster than production has risen lately.

The reason the US is one of the most productive oil producers relative to our oil reserves is the private ownership of those reserves, compared to government ownership in most of the world.  The ability for the individuals to invest, risk their own capital and profit from it if successful has driven us to be the world's leader in innovation in the oil and gas fields.

Trust me, you have benefited from that significantly.  They have driven the economy farther, provided high paying jobs and lots of taxes to this country.  Manufactures making pipe, valves, pumps, motors, switchgear, motor controls, instruments, etc have greatly benefited from the US boom.

That boom, shale field production, happened because prices got high enough to justify investment in those expensive fields.  It cost far more per barrel to produce oil from a shale field that from the historic fields of the middle east and other "traditional" sources.

We still import significantly more than we export.  But today, because of past and current pricing, we mostly export refined products.  We actually import more than we need because we have a refinery surplus.  So we import crude and export a finished product of transportation fuel.  That is more jobs in the US, better trade balance.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 01:12:21 pm »

Better for the consumer.

market forces are in fact working here.  Crude pricing is wolrdwide.

If you wish gasoline prices to drop, the non-market forces are discouraging that, including ethanol subsidies, mandated gasoline formulations, environmental restrictions, and reduction of coal.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington