Author Topic: 15 Patents That Changed the World  (Read 991 times)

rangerrebew

15 Patents That Changed the World
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:52:07 pm »
15 Patents That Changed the World

By Jay Bennett   
Apr 27, 2018

Forget the image of the lonely inventor tinkering away in a workshop. Today, it's more common that numerous technologies developed by a variety of inventors suddenly come together to form a cohesive whole, such as the iPhone or the self-driving car. Other inventions, such as the quadcopter drone and 3D printer, were designed decades before the surrounding technology suddenly transformed the core device into a worldwide phenomenon.

Innovation may be different today, but it is alive and well. Here are 15 patents that shaped the modern world.

Jay Bennett is the associate editor of PopularMechanics.com. He recently contributed to a new book about historic patents titled Ingenious Patents: Bubble Wrap, Barbed Wire, Bionic Eyes, and Other Pioneering Inventions.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/g20051677/patents-changed-the-world/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:52:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline RoosGirl

Re: 15 Patents That Changed the World
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:25:41 pm »
I can't believe toilet paper isn't on the list.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:47:21 pm »
I can't believe toilet paper isn't on the list.

Maybe it hasn't been patented yet.

You should jump right on that, Roos.  :dx1:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:55:42 pm »
Maybe it hasn't been patented yet.

You should jump right on that, Roos.  :dx1:

Oh man, do you think I should delete my last post so no one else gets the idea first?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:39:47 pm »
Oh man, do you think I should delete my last post so no one else gets the idea first?

Not a bad idea! 

(My lips are sealed!  Now where did I put the number for the patent office???)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 12:36:02 am »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 01:09:17 am »

I'm afraid it's too late, @RoosGirl.  In view of @Wingnut's post, it probably isn't patentable because it's "Obvious in the current state of the art."   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 01:12:39 am »
I'm afraid it's too late, @RoosGirl.  In view of @Wingnut's post, it probably isn't patentable because it's "Obvious in the current state of the art."   :shrug:

Sears and Roebucks was a staple in my grandfathers one holer.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:15:05 am »

Oh well.  There's another idea I've been working on.  It's a little device you can wear on your belt or pants waist and when someone needs to get in touch with you they can call it and leave a call back number.  Then when the number is input it makes a noise to alert the wearer.  I'm thinking of calling it honker or a booper.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 01:30:00 am »
Oh well.  There's another idea I've been working on.  It's a little device you can wear on your belt or pants waist and when someone needs to get in touch with you they can call it and leave a call back number.  Then when the number is input it makes a noise to alert the wearer.  I'm thinking of calling it honker or a booper.

Bieber.  It has star appeal....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: