Author Topic: Judge rules New York City bar can refuse service to Trump supporter wearing MAGA hat  (Read 13524 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

I've gotten a world-class edumacation here on why the First Amendment applies to private businesses on all those threads where it was patiently explained to us rubes why Christian cake bakeries must be compelled to trade with people who commit acts of abomination.  I fail to see how refusing to trade with a man wearing a MAGA cap is not a violation of that same principle.

The laws must be written (and court approved) that restrictions can only apply on people with conservative political leanings.  That's the only thing my puny mind can noodle out about this. 

Personally, I think the bar was in their rights to do what they did, but I am consistent because I also believe the people who bake cakes and photograph weddings are entitled to the same latitude in their businesses.  I guess that must be the hobgoblin working on my simple mind...nevermind.

Seeyaluvyabye.

You got nothing of the kind.  The question in those cases is whether an anti-discrimination statute infringes on a businesses’ First Amendment rights.  That has no bearing on the question of whether the First Amendment by itself forces a business to do ssomething, such as tolerating political speech. 

Offline endicom

Go peddle your Liberal view of the world to people that actually are interested in what you have to say.

Gee, when was the last time I was on the side of @Oceander?

He, unless that's changed, is expressing a conservative view in siding with the property owner.

Oceander

He, unless that's changed, is expressing a conservative view in siding with the property owner.

@endicom

Hat tip to you sir. 

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Ummm First Amendment anyone?

First amendment? It's a private business. If I come on your property with an "I'm with her" t-shirt you don't have the right to kick me off?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

What is Conservative about running someone out of a business because of a hat?

Where in the First Amendment does it say that's allowed?  I mean I get that you can't get yell fire in a theater or joke about a bomb on a plane.

But a hat? 

The judge got this wrong and so did the owner.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
First amendment? It's a private business. If I come on your property with an "I'm with her" t-shirt you don't have the right to kick me off?

Why?  For wearing a shirt?  Seriously?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I have been forcibly "extricated" from many a drinking establishment in my day including a few under my own power.  The strangest one happened only a few years ago in a very nice place on the Riverwalk in San Antonio*.  Before I could even take a seat the bar tender yelled:  "Get the F out of my Bar"  I figured he must have known me from somewhere so I turned around and left.

I say If you ain't wanted.  Go somewhere else.

* When I tell people this story (if they Know the Riverwalk) They always ask if it was Dick's Last Resort.  And No it wasn't  I clearly stated a Nice Joint!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Lando Lincoln

I've been away for awhile.  What's new around here?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

First Amendment:  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress or grievances.   

Where is there any mention of private businesses?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I have been forcibly "extricated" from many a drinking establishment in my day including a few under my own power.  The strangest one happened only a few years ago in a very nice place on the Riverwalk in San Antonio*.  Before I could even take a seat the bar tender yelled:  "Get the F out of my Bar"  I figured he must have known me from somewhere so I turned around and left.

I say If you ain't wanted.  Go somewhere else.

* When I tell people this story (if they Know the Riverwalk) They always ask if it was Dick's Last Resort.  And No it wasn't  I clearly stated a Nice Joint!

Was it because of past instances where the owner didn't like your sparkling personality...or were you wearing a MAGA hat?

And yes I know where Dick's is too. Been there done that got the T Shirt. :)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Establishments used to display warning signs near the entrance, "we reserve the right to deny service to anyone."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I've been away for awhile.  What's new around here?

@Lando Lincoln hey my friend good to see you.  How are you doing.

Here?  meh...SSDD  :shrug:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
This is not a free speech issue. The bar was within their rights to do what they did.

If someone came into your establishment wearing this (NSFW) tee-shirt, wouldn't you kick them out?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:07:35 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline WingNot

Was it because of past instances where the owner didn't like your sparkling personality...or were you wearing a MAGA hat?

And yes I know where Dick's is too. Been there done that got the T Shirt. :)

I swear I was misidentified. I never made it the 20 feet from the door to the Bar. 
And I had a Mavericks hat on at the time.   I might have said something disparaging about the Spurs' Kawhi Leonard or that Parker dude since the game was on   :shrug:

Offline thackney

Where in the First Amendment does it say that's allowed?  I mean I get that you can't get yell fire in a theater or joke about a bomb on a plane.

But a hat? 

I disagree.

But I highly agree with a place of business using this sign.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

But a hat? 

The first amendment does not grant rights to anyone, it places explicit limits on what Congress is not allowed to do.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline thackney

If it had been Dick's, you could have just flipped the Bartender off and everyone would have laughed.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This is not a free speech issue. The bar was within their rights to do what they did.

If someone came into your establishment wearing this (NSFW) tee-shirt, wouldn't you kick them out?

Can't read the link.  Blocked at work I'll check it out at the house.

Freedom of speech includes expression...you can express something you believe in on a hat or a shirt.  The guy was expression his support for Trump by wearing a MAGA hat.

IF the hat is all he was kicked out for...then yes there is a 1st Amendment violation.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The first amendment does not grant rights to anyone, it places explicit limits on what Congress is not allowed to do.

It's also protects peoples right to say what they want to say and express themselves without fear of recriminations.

Offline WingNot

If it had been Dick's, you could have just flipped the Bartender off and everyone would have laughed.

That's true!   :beer:

Online Lando Lincoln

I disagree.

Just a logic drill... Restaurants can require a sport coat and/or a tie.  Golf courses can require collared shirts.  Establishments can deny service if you fail to wear shoes or you are shirtless.  Some disallow hats altogether.  No doubt there are other examples.  A proprietor has some right to protect the business and to set standards. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

I disagree.

I will agree with you @thackney ... regardless of ANY reason. I ALWAYS have the right to refuse service. And especially so within the circumference of my own property.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

It's also protects peoples right to say what they want to say and express themselves without fear of recriminations.

From the government, not from other citizens.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline thackney

From the government, not from other citizens.

Exactly.

You won't be jailed or fined.

You may lose your job or get kicked out of the store.