Author Topic: Breaking: Explosion and Fire At Oil refinery in Superior, Wisconsin  (Read 1686 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Explosion rocks oil refinery in Superior, Wisconsin

At least 20 people were reportedly injured at an oil refinery in Wisconsin on Thursday after a tank containing crude oil or asphalt suddenly exploded with a force that witnesses said rattled the air like a "sonic boom."

The explosion broke out at Husky Energy oil refinery in Superior, Wis., the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported. Authorities have asked residents within a five-mile radius of the refinery to evacuate due to the explosion, KBJR 6 reported.

Fire looks to be growing and surrounding one of the main holding tanks that is now buckling and may bleve.  They are issuing a 5 mile evacuation South of the Refinery, fire crews pulled back.  TV reporter says he heard multiple new explosions over the last five minutes. May burn for days.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline thackney

Re: Breaking: Explosion and Fire At Oil refinery in Superior, Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:06:35 pm »
Fire looks to be growing and surrounding one of the main holding tanks that is now buckling and may bleve.  They are issuing a 5 mile evacuation South of the Refinery, fire crews pulled back.  TV reporter says he heard multiple new explosions over the last five minutes. May burn for days.

The evacuation area is confusing based upon the source of this report.

http://www.kbjr6.com/story/38049655/explosion-injuries-reported-at-husky-energy-superior-refinery

SUPERIOR, WI - UPDATE 1:10 P.M.: A ten mile area south of Husky Energy is being evacuated, and a one mile radius around Husky Energy is also being evacuated.

Nemadji Golf Course, as well as the Superior YMCA, are being evacuated.

Police have blocked off the area around Nemadji Golf Course.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:09:34 pm »
The evacuation orders appear to be confusing from here.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/04/26/superior-oil-refinery-explosion

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:11:09 pm by thackney »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:15:42 pm »
Oh Lord.  Prayers.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:17:32 pm »
No fun.
I hope everyone gets out of the refinery okay.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:18:18 pm »
This is a very small refinery.  38,000 bpd.

https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/refinerycapacity/table3.pdf

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:30 pm »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:16 pm »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 08:24:22 pm »
The evacuation area is confusing based upon the source of this report.

I think because they did not specify that there is a MANDATORY evacuation order near the plant, and a much larger voluntary evacuation area further out from the plant.

I think that is why it is confusing.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 08:36:07 pm »
I think because they did not specify that there is a MANDATORY evacuation order near the plant, and a much larger voluntary evacuation area further out from the plant.

I think that is why it is confusing.

That would explain it.

I read a report they wouldn't send in any more fire fighters.  They may let it burn itself out.  Asphalt fire can contain some heavy sulfur in the fumes.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 12:53:43 pm »
Fire is out at Superior oil refinery; evacuation order lifted
http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Explosion-rocks-refinery-in-Superior-480955511.html
Fri 7:30 AM, Apr 27, 2018

Authorities say the fire is out after explosions rocked the Husky Energy oil refinery in Superior and heavy smoke forced evacuations Thursday.

There's still a risk of the fire reigniting, and the danger of what's in the large smoke plume. Firefighters are still laying down foam blankets and trying to cool down the asphalt.

The Associated Press reports that police have lifted the evacuation order for Superior.

Governor Walker was on his way to meet with evacuees. He tweeted aerial video after surveying the damage and praised first responders.

"We see this often that the most successful responses are ones in where local communities are prepared," the governor said.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:02:12 pm »
I didn't realize that Husky had a refinery up there.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 02:05:59 pm »
@thackney

Looks like the Cosden Refinery in Big Spring the last time it went up.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 02:16:04 pm »
I didn't realize that Husky had a refinery up there.

Calgary, Alberta-based Husky Energy bought the refinery from Indianapolis-based Calumet Specialty Products Partners last year for over $490 million. It's Wisconsin's only refinery, and it produces gasoline, asphalt and other products.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/husky-refinery-explosion-wisconsin-1.4636712

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 02:18:06 pm »
@thackney

Looks like the Cosden Refinery in Big Spring the last time it went up.

I think the heavy black smoke and long last plume was mostly a result of the asphalt burning.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 03:22:05 pm »
Calgary, Alberta-based Husky Energy bought the refinery from Indianapolis-based Calumet Specialty Products Partners last year for over $490 million. It's Wisconsin's only refinery, and it produces gasoline, asphalt and other products.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/husky-refinery-explosion-wisconsin-1.4636712

I manufactured and sold a lot of reciprocating compressor parts on the Calumet pipeline over the years.

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »
I manufactured and sold a lot of reciprocating compressor parts on the Calumet pipeline over the years.

I thought Calumet Pipeline was a liquid products pipeline.

http://www.calumetpipeline.net/d/index.htm

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 03:32:06 pm »
I thought Calumet Pipeline was a liquid products pipeline.

http://www.calumetpipeline.net/d/index.htm

That may explain some of the parts sold there, some were things that would withstand liquids.

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 03:34:20 pm »
That may explain some of the parts sold there, some were things that would withstand liquids.

I guess running through a filter separator upstream of a pump unit may release some gases that need to be re-compressed back into the main pipeline.  More to it that my first visualized thoughts....

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 06:14:03 pm »
The explosion could be felt. The smoke just went east of us but you could see it
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 06:01:06 pm »
http://www.wkow.com/story/38065467/hydrogen-fluoride-tank-spared-in-refinery-fire-deadly-chemical-concerns-linger

...Sitting nearby the burning fire was a tank of hydrogen fluoride, or HF, an extremely toxic acid, according to Huksy Energy used as a catalyst for producing gasoline.

Firefighters were able to isolate the tank, using foam blankets to suppress vapors. They also used an industrial sprinkler system to spray the hydrogen fluoride tank with water, Superior Fire Chief Steve Panger said.

According to a 2011 report by the Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit news organization, a low-hanging cloud of HF could travel 25 miles and put 180,000 people at risk of injury or death....

...United Steelworkers, a union representing refinery workers nationwide, has urged refineries to phase out the use of HF, the report said.

According to Millar, a number of other U.S. refineries have phased out HF in favor of sulfuric acid, a less toxic chemical for alkylation....

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 06:02:55 pm »
http://www.wdio.com/news/husky-oil-refinery-superior-panger-/4887385/

...at 1:31, a civil emergency message was sent saying that people three miles to the east and west should evacuate, but not mentioning people to the north. One minute later, the National Weather Service sent a message on Twitter saying the evacuation went three miles to the north, east, and west. Then at 1:35, the Superior Police Department sent a tweet saying the evacuation went two miles to the north and three miles to the east and west.

Messages sent after 2 p.m. all used the figures of two miles to the north, three miles to the east and west, and ten miles to the south.

The area from two to three miles north of the refinery contains Belknap Street, the main part of the UW-Superior campus, city hall, and part of the city's North End neighborhood.

We reached out to Douglas County Emergency Management for clarification on the instructions, but have not heard back.

Superior Fire Chief Steve Panger says the evacuation zone was a precaution for Hydrogen Fluoride being released into the air....