Author Topic: Poll: Cruz lead over Dem challenger down to 3 points  (Read 7287 times)

Offline jpsb

Re: Poll: Cruz lead over Dem challenger down to 3 points
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2018, 02:55:20 pm »
I'll give Paddy Austin and El Paso.

Huston and Dallas too. Both used to vote R, now both vote D.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 03:05:44 pm »
Okay, Cruz,  Cruz campaign,

Said Kasich was receiving Soros money,

Claimed Carson dropping out in Iowa, Rubio dropping out in Hawaii,

Campaign claimed Rubio said about the Bible, "there are few answers in there" or something like that.

What turned me against Cruz was his lying about being against legalization for illegals and his
claiming Trump made his fortune using eminent domain. 

But I mostly like the way he votes in the Senate so he has earned my vote this election.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 03:28:55 pm »
@Victoria33 the lie that Cruz said Carson was dropping out is one that certain people...at TBR and other places will never let go of.

They will continue to repeat that lie the way the DUmmies keep repeating the lie that President Bush said Saddam was behind 9/11.

Cruz's campaign manager said it. He was fired over it.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 03:41:19 pm »
888sunglass

True, Texas is getting close to the flipping point, that's clear...it's getting closer and closer all the time.

Yep with all the "ann's" moving in the landscape is changing.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 04:04:39 pm »
I was told by a democratic-Hispanic friend 30 years ago that Texas is on the way to becoming...the majority of the population being Hispanic.  And that since they tend to be democrats, that the hand writing was on the wall.  So as you say the flipping point gets closer each year and it is coming.  Cruz will likely win, since he's running against a VERY LIBERAL opponent.  If his challenger were a bit more conservative, or even acting like one....Cruz might be in trouble.
I'll gladly help support Cruz, in any way possible.
@mrpotatohead
@txradioguy
@mystery-ak
@Freya 

Potato, beginning in about 2000, the Texas Republican Party began opening offices in Hispanic neighborhoods.  "Open an office and they will come."  Election numbers show Hispanic "families" are not automatically Democrats.  Many vote Republican due to their family values.  Individual Hispanics are more likely to vote Democrat. 

It is not true that many Hispanic 'illegals" vote in Texas.  When a person signs up in a county to be on the voter list, that application is forwarded to the Texas Secretary of State.  A search is done in all Texas records, to determine if that person is qualified to be a voter.  If he/she is determined to be a valid voter, the county is informed to put that person on the voter list.  If he/she is NOT a valid voter, that info. is sent to the county and the name is not listed on the voter list.

If a voter is suspected not to be a valid voter, the District Attorney of that county, has the responsibility to investigate to determine if that person is a valid voter.  If the District Attorney does not do that, the Texas Attorney General has the responsibility to do it.

Most voter fraud happens in nursing homes.  As the Judge of the Early Voting Ballot Board in our county, my workers threw out  those illegal ballots and I gave workshops in Texas counties, showing them how to determine if those nursing home ballots are valid.  I did that in Harris County, Houston, and illegal ballots from nursing homes there were thrown out in their next election.

There are state election laws and if those are followed, elections are fair and legal.  Certainly, illegal problems happen as some people are "crooks"; the test is what happens when that is found out; what the District Attorney does to stop it; what the Texas Attorney General does to stop it.

I have told this story before: When Gov. Greg Abbott was Texas Attorney General, he prosecuted a woman for mailing in ONE illegal mail ballot.  She was caring for her mother who was very ill.  Her mother had received her mail ballot but she died before she could fill it out.  Her daughter knew how her mother was going to vote, so she filled out the ballot and sent it in.  The Early Voting Ballot Board knew the woman had died before the ballot was mailed.  This info. was sent to Abbott and he prosecuted this woman for that one illegal ballot.  Texas will get you for an illegal ballot.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 04:08:51 pm »
The real target date by the Dems for TX is more like 2020-24.

@Victoria33

I think you will enjoy the latest Time magazine piece by Ted Cruz:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2018, 04:32:16 pm »
Huston and Dallas too. Both used to vote R, now both vote D.
@jpsb

Dallas was always Democrat, never Republican.  Many years ago, I lived in the Dallas area, and met a Dallas lawyer who did some work for me.  He told me of a political group that was forming and invited me to one of their meetings.  The name of this group did not include the name "Republican" as he said they didn't want to be idenfied yet with that name.  I did go to one of those meetings.  In order to go, I had to miss going to work as Counselor of a school.  The principal gave me time off to go to that meeting.  It was a Republican "under cover" group trying to form to get members so they could make a difference in Dallas elections.  The state of Texas was Democrat then.

The state turned Republican big time when George Bush was elected governor.  We have been Republican since that happened.

Here is a list of Texas Governors:

Democrat until Republican Edmund Davis (1862-1865)
More Democrats until:
Republican Bill Clements  (1979-1983)
Then Ann Richards Democrat (1983-1991)
Then George Bush Republican (1989-1994)
Republicans until now.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2018, 04:36:56 pm »
The real target date by the Dems for TX is more like 2020-24.

@Victoria33

I think you will enjoy the latest Time magazine piece by Ted Cruz:

Is there a link?

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2018, 04:52:29 pm »
Cruz describes Trump as a “flash-bang grenade thrown into Washington”... he never seems to be at a loss for words.  As I read a little more, Ted's sense of humor came out.  It is what it is.  Question on my mind, will Trump help him in TX?  No and hell no!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2018, 05:17:28 pm »
Actually @corbe It may astonish you, but @TomSea has made more sense lately than a lot of other people.[/b]

Hey, you wanted me back ... now you have to deal with me.

I'll second that emotion....   ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2018, 05:26:33 pm »
My intuition is this: Trump and Cruz are now in synch, for the most part.  They see mutual benefits, from supporting each other.

Cruz should win the Texas contest, and hopefully Trump will campaign for him.

Cruz' writing indicates he understands disruption. Trump was elected due to his disruption.

Many/most in the emerging Dark Intellectual Web (right/center/left) are talking about needed "disruption," beyond politics, e.g. the need to challenge existing features of the status quo.

Scott Adams, Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, Dave Rubin, Stefan Molyneux, Eric Weinstein, Bret Weinstein, Joe Rogan, Steven Pinker, Sam Harris, Candace Owens, James Damore, Tommy Sotomayer, and there are others.

All available on youtube, btw. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2018, 05:38:02 pm »
Yep and Harris Co. (houston) and Dallas Co (dallas)  would round out the rats strongholds.
He won Harris County last time around.  And it was a RAT stronghold then.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
The only person you can blame for a poor showing in an election is the candidate. Abbott did well there. Trump did well there. Cruz....not so much it looks.

So .... you're believing polls now, Frank???
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2018, 05:47:19 pm »
:beer: :patriot:

Again.  @libertybele  I just ate breakfast and, while I respect your opinion, this sort of attitude is fruitless and makes me a little queasy.  (Shouldn't have eaten the raisin bread)

There are two parties.  One is totally corrupt and horrible and would ruin our country.  The other can be infuriating in it's self-centered behavior that often forgets conservatism but is not totally bad.

The Republican Party has a lot of good people.  It just needs more and it's our job to get rid of the dead wood and elect conservatives.  Not throw up our hands.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2018, 05:52:18 pm »
Somebody did... Can you guess who?

“He said with the being a Canadian citizen, he said, ‘Oh I didn’t know that.’ How did he not know that? Then he said with the loans, ‘Oh, I didn’t know that,’ Smart guy. He doesn’t know that? Yeah, that’s worse than Hillary when you think about it,” Trump said of Cruz on Jan. 20.

“You are the single biggest liar. You probably are worse than Jeb Bush,” Trump told Cruz at a primary debate on Feb. 13. “Nasty guy. Now I know why he doesn’t have one endorsement from any of his colleagues.”

“Lyin’ Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a G.Q. shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin’ Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!” Trump tweeted on March 22.

“His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald’s being—you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous,” Trump said about Cruz’s father, Rafael, in an interview on May 3. “What was he doing with Lee Harvey Oswald shortly before the death? Before the shooting? It’s horrible.”

“Honestly, he may have ruined his political career. I feel so badly. I feel so badly. And you know, he’ll come and endorse over the next little while. He’ll—because he has no choice. But I don’t want his endorsement. What difference does it make? I don’t want his endorsement. I have such great—I don’t want his endorsement. Ted, stay home, relax, enjoy yourself,” Trump said at a press conference on July 22.

@DB Omigosh, you dug up every horrible thing Trump ever said about Cruz.  Well, maybe not everything but a lot of things.

It's no secret that Trump dislikes Cruz because Cruz is everything Trump is not.  Cruz is an intellectual and a true conservative.

However, Cruz has treated Trump with respect and support (when he can) and the tiny part of Trump's brain that is reasonable has to recognize that.

I wish we could somehow put aside stuff that happened during the primaries and judge Trump solely on his substantive actions as President, which have not been bad at all.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2018, 05:57:38 pm »
I would not dismiss the poll out of hand:  Polarizing candidate in his own party, first midterm for a horrible President, and a state with rapidly shifting demographics. Trump won the retired voters (some of whom are now dead) by 29 points and lost among those younger than 45.
What are you talking about anyway?  The last time a statewide election was won by Democrats was in 1994 by Bob Bullock for Lt Governor.  This guy was a vet who urged Texans to re-elect Republican Bush for Governor, so he knew Texans far better than most Democrats.

You are sadly mistaken if you think the highly-popular Cruz will suffer in this election.

And he is definitely NOT a polarizing candidate in his own party in Texas.  That is a CNN version.  He is well-liked and representative of the views of most of us Texans.

You are reading too many liberal sites, friend. @cato potatoe
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »
   Obviously, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but each day that passes that a viable Third Party is not making noise is a day wasted.  Should have started up in Jan 2017.  The few Conservative Leaders we have in the GOP are still sucking on it's teat for political expediency ($$$$) and re election.   This GOP/DEM madness must stop if we are to survive as a Constitutional Republic.

@corbe   Wake up, baby.  Work on building a Conservative Party in your spare time but we would be better served by working on electing conservative Republicans.

Don't forget the lesson of DB H. Ross Perot (Dallas Billionaire) He was a little Krazy but he had a message that resonated with a lot of voters ... AND... he gave us Willy Clinton.

Until a third party is known by more than .003 percent of the population, it is a fit subject for dreams but not reality.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2018, 06:02:30 pm »
The Constitution Party made great strides last election cycle, but reality is it's not enough and the chances of a third party win is dismal, bleak and virtually impossible. Once the GOP loses the majority in the Senate and the House; and perhaps not this election cycle, but more than likely, it's game over for this Constitutional Republic as we know it.  From that point forward we will see amnesty granted and the sheer number of new DEM voters will far outweigh the voting base of the GOP with a very slim chance of them ever being seated again as a majority. 

I think it's safe to say when TX goes, so goes the Republic.  Ted is in trouble BIGLY.  We can count on Trump, the GOPe, the NRSC and the RNC to make sure that he never sees the Senate again.  After all, I believe that was Trump's objective in the first place - to stop the conservative movement.

@libertybele  Cheer up and stop reading the Dallas Morning News and watching CNN.

Ted Cruz is not in trouble in Texas and his opponent cannot possibly attract a lot of votes.  His opponent is an opportunistic nobody and Ted is widely loved and respected.

Texas is a successful state because of conservative state and local government ... except for a few fetid holes of liberalism.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2018, 06:09:21 pm »
@TomSea
@mystery-ak
@txradioguy
@Cyber Liberty 

Tom, my friend, I kept up with Cruz happenings every day during the presidential election.

Cruz himself did not say Carson was dropping out.  It was a Cruz worker who heard Carson was going home after that state's primary so he thought Carson was dropping out - CNN also said that. Once Cruz found out his worker said that, he stopped it.

It was a Cruz campaign worker in Hawaii who thought Rubio was dropping out and he said that to the press.  Again, once Cruz heard that, he stopped it.

A campaign of any presidential candidate has thousands of workers and no candidate knows what an individual worker might say.  What matters is what happens when the candidate finds out.  Cruz did the right thing in every instance, stopping what was said. 

This coming November election in Texas: I use actual numbers in a primary to be a "crystal ball" sort of, maybe, predictor of the November election.  Democrats turned out in huge numbers for our primary - hundreds of thousands more than has ever happened in a non-presidential year in this state. I was amazed, in a bad way, when I studied the numbers. 

At the present time, every Texas state office holder is a Republican.  Both the Texas House and Texas Senate is a Republican majority. The worst case scenario is Gov. Abbott and Senator Cruz and all state offices change to Democrats and every county office, except for a few, turn Democrat.  Surely that won't happen but the primary numbers have never been like they were this year.  It is Trump who has caused this.  You know what I think about Trump, but I am only one person; it is millions made up of Democrats, and likely all Independents who are going to show up and vote Democrat for all offices.  Independents seldom show up at primaries; they wait until November.

This country is split about 40% Democrats and 40%; it is the 20% Independents who determine who is elected.  Independents won't vote Republican this time as a direct vote against Trump.  I wish this was not true, but it is what I see happening.

@Victoria33   Way to go, Vic.  How and why that Ben Carson story has become so distorted in the minds of the public will always be a mystery to me.  As you explained, it was Ben and his people who were responsible for the whole bruhaha.

There are thing about Ben Carson I really like, but he is not stable enough to be a National candidate but I think he is in a good post right now for him.

Ben is so dumb that he abandoned Cruz to support the guy who called him some kind of predator.  Trump said horrible things about Ben.

As for Trump, I think the tide is turning a little bit in his direction.  He continues to shoot himself in the foot to the point that it is a miracle he can walk, but his actions have been good on the whole.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2018, 06:17:51 pm »
@jpsb

Dallas was always Democrat, never Republican.  Many years ago, I lived in the Dallas area, and met a Dallas lawyer who did some work for me.  He told me of a political group that was forming and invited me to one of their meetings.  The name of this group did not include the name "Republican" as he said they didn't want to be idenfied yet with that name.  I did go to one of those meetings.  In order to go, I had to miss going to work as Counselor of a school.  The principal gave me time off to go to that meeting.  It was a Republican "under cover" group trying to form to get members so they could make a difference in Dallas elections.  The state of Texas was Democrat then.

The state turned Republican big time when George Bush was elected governor.  We have been Republican since that happened.

Here is a list of Texas Governors:

Democrat until Republican Edmund Davis (1862-1865)
More Democrats until:
Republican Bill Clements  (1979-1983)
Then Ann Richards Democrat (1983-1991)
Then George Bush Republican (1989-1994)
Republicans until now.

@Victoria33   Okay, I'm appointing you TBR's Official Texas Expert.  You really know your stuff about Texas.

One thing I will always love about George W. Bush is that he beat Ann Richards to the point that she forgot that fake Texas drawl she always used.  George's mommy (RIP) told him he didn't have a chance against Ann, but he proved her wrong.

The City of Dallas is mostly minority as most conservatives have moved into the myriads of suburban cities that surround Dallas and most of those cities are conservative.

If we could get a handle on the illegal immigration problem, it would solve a lot of Texas's current problems.  Illegals get over the border in Texas and, unfortunately, lose any appetite for moving farther north.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2018, 07:30:32 pm »
What are you talking about anyway?  The last time a statewide election was won by Democrats was in 1994 by Bob Bullock for Lt Governor.  This guy was a vet who urged Texans to re-elect Republican Bush for Governor, so he knew Texans far better than most Democrats.

You are sadly mistaken if you think the highly-popular Cruz will suffer in this election.

And he is definitely NOT a polarizing candidate in his own party in Texas.  That is a CNN version.  He is well-liked and representative of the views of most of us Texans.

You are reading too many liberal sites, friend.

I imagine Cruz will prevail, but not by 16 points this round.  Trump went out of his way to alienate the types of people who are moving into Texas.  Hillary Clinton did quite well in urban areas ... better than Obama, and far better than her husband.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:41 pm »
I imagine Cruz will prevail, but not by 16 points this round.  Trump went out of his way to alienate the types of people who are moving into Texas.  Hillary Clinton did quite well in urban areas ... better than Obama, and far better than her husband.

Please explain your comment @cato potatoe that Trump went out of his way to alienate the types of people who are moving into Texas.

What type of people are moving into Texas besides refugees from California and illegals from Mexico and exactly how did Trump alienate them?

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2018, 12:36:46 am »
Before I do that ... why do you think Texas went 7 points bluer, while the country as a whole went 2 points redder than 2012?