Author Topic: 71 years later, Texas City remembers 1947 disaster  (Read 2650 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
71 years later, Texas City remembers 1947 disaster
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:33:38 pm »
71 years later, Texas City remembers 1947 disaster
KTRK

Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:40PM

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

Monday marks the anniversary of the 1947 Texas City ship disaster. On Saturday evening survivors met in Texas City to commemorate the 71st anniversary of the disaster in a somber memorial.

On April 16th, 1947, one of the largest non-nuclear explosions to have ever occurred rocked the Texas City port, killing hundreds of people including 28 members of the Texas City Fire Department.

It all started shortly after 8 a.m. that day, when longshoremen noticed smoke in the hold of the S.S. Grandcamp.

Read more at: http://abc13.com/71-years-later-texas-city-remembers-1947-disaster--/3345912/

Offline thackney

Re: 71 years later, Texas City remembers 1947 disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:56:35 pm »
http://www.texascity-library.org/disaster/

...The ammonium nitrate onboard the Grandcamp detonated at 9:12 a.m., rupturing the ship and sending the cargo of peanuts, tobacco, twine, bunker oil and the remaining bags of ammonium nitrate 2,000 to 3,000 feet into the air. Fireballs streaked across the sky and could be seen for miles across Galveston Bay as molten ship fragments erupted out of the pier. The blast caused a fifteen-foot tidal wave that crashed onto the dock and flooded the surrounding area. Windows were shattered in Houston, 40 miles to the north, and people in Louisiana felt the shock 250 miles away. Most of the buildings closest to the blast were flattened, and there were many more that had doors and roofs blown off. The Monsanto plant, only three hundred feet away, was destroyed by the blast.

Most of the Texas City Terminal Railways' warehouses along the docks were a complete loss. Hundreds of employees, pedestrians and bystanders were killed. At the time of the Grandcamp's explosion, only two additional vessels were docked in port: the S.S. High Flyer and the Wilson B. Keene, both American C-2 cargo ships similar to the Grandcamp....

...The High Flyer was anchored in the main slip of Pier A, directly adjacent to the Grandcamp. The Wilson B. Keene lay across the way from both ships in Pier B and was in the process of loading flour. The High Flyer had finished loading its cargo, but remained anchored at the pier for a series of repairs. In addition to containing about 1,000 tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer in hold 3, the High Flyer was loaded with 2,000 tons of sulfur within holds 2 and 4. This is significant because ammonium nitrate becomes much more volatile when combined with sulfur. The force of the impact from the Grandcamp jolted the High Flyer enough to be released from its moorings, leaving it to drift across the main slip towards the Wilson B. Keene....

...At 1:10 a.m. on April 17, only fifteen hours after the explosion of the Grandcamp, the High Flyer's ammonium nitrate exploded, killing at least two people and causing further damage to the port area. The second blast also demolished the Wilson B. Keene, which was only feet from the High Flyer....

- - - - - - - - -

The propeller from the High Flyer became airborne and flew a mile before crashing here.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »
@TomSea

A number of citizens of Texas City were also killed.  As a result of this blast, sirens were installed around Texas City so if any of the chemical plants, which is the main reason for Texas City existing, had a spill/fire/explosion, the sirens would go off and people would know to leave the area immediately.

I was in charge of services for the handicapped at College of the Mainland, Texas City, Texas.
One day the sirens started.  Everyone immediately headed for their cars, including me.  I lived about 15 miles north of there and didn't stop until I got home.  Whatever set off the sirens, nothing exploded or filled the air with dangerous chemicals (that I knew of), as college resumed the next day.

Everyone who lives there, knows they live in a dangerous area and may have to leave immediately if those sirens start.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:59:49 pm »
Was 10 years before I was born, but relatives heard the loud bang......    180 miles away as the crow flies.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:53 pm »
Thanks for that inspiring tale, @Victoria33

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:03:41 pm »
And today is the 5 year anniversary of the West, Texas Fertilizer explosion.

A look back at the explosion five years ago that rocked a small Texas town
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/west-texas-explosion-fertilizer-obama-april-12839542.php

...Twenty minutes after catching fire, the West Fertilizer Co. plant exploded with the force a magnitude-2.1 earthquake, an explosive power equivalent to 15,000 to 20,000 pounds of TNT.

The town's mayor, Tommy Muska, described the explosion "like a nuclear bomb." The blast destroyed 120 homes and damaged 200 more....

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:50:00 pm »
And today is the 5 year anniversary of the West, Texas Fertilizer explosion.

A look back at the explosion five years ago that rocked a small Texas town
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/west-texas-explosion-fertilizer-obama-april-12839542.php

...Twenty minutes after catching fire, the West Fertilizer Co. plant exploded with the force a magnitude-2.1 earthquake, an explosive power equivalent to 15,000 to 20,000 pounds of TNT.

The town's mayor, Tommy Muska, described the explosion "like a nuclear bomb." The blast destroyed 120 homes and damaged 200 more....

@thackney  These stories are both so terrible.  Did they ever figure out what caused the West fire?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 09:50:05 am »
@thackney  These stories are both so terrible.  Did they ever figure out what caused the West fire?

What I remember is it was found to be arson but no one was arrested for it.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 12:13:57 pm »
@LauraTXNM, looks like there is a lot of blame to share for the deaths and injuries.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/west-fertilizer-plant-explosion-five-years-later/500-540247815

...The U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board concluded the construction of the facility and its lack of an automatic sprinkler system "plausibly contributed" to the detonation that happened after the fire was set. The CSB estimated total insurance-related losses from the explosion to be approximately $230 million. The West Fertilizer Company, which filed for bankruptcy after the blast, was only insured for $1 million....

- - - - - -

https://www.csb.gov/west-fertilizer-explosion-and-fire-/

U.S. CHEMICAL SAFETY AND HAZARD INVESTIGATION BOARD
INVESTIGATION REPORT, FINAL
WEST FERTILIZER COMPANY FIRE AND EXPLOSION

Page 240

10.0 Key Findings

Technical Findings

1. The presence of combustible materials used for construction of the facility and the fertilizer grade
ammonium nitrate (FGAN) storage bins, in addition to the West Fertilizer Company (WFC)
practice of storing combustibles near the FGAN pile, contributed to the progression and intensity
of the fire and likely resulted in the detonation.

2. The WFC facility did not have a fire detection system to alert emergency responders or an
automatic sprinkler system to extinguish the fire at an earlier stage of the incident.

3. On the basis of interviews with eyewitnesses and supporting photographic evidence, the first
observed fire and smoke originated in and above the seed room and progressed throughout the
northern half of the WFC facility. The radiant heat from the fire, fueled by the structure,
flammable building contents, and the asphalt roof shingles, likely heated the surface of the FGAN
pile. Contamination from soot, molten asphalt, and molten polyvinyl chloride (PVC) from an
overhead conveyer produced a detonable mixture of combustibles and FGAN oxidizers.
Increased ventilation generated a brighter and hotter flame, heating the FGAN-fuel mixture on the
surface of the pile.

Regulatory Findings

4. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) efforts to oversee facilities that store and
handle FGAN fell short at the time of the incident.

a. Section (i) of the OSHA Explosives and Blasting Agents standard, 29 CFR 1910.109(i), was
not very well known among those in the fertilizer industry, likely due in part to the fact that
(1) application of the section was unclear; and (2) the section had rarely been used previously
to cite fertilizer facilities.

b. OSHA inadvertently omitted ammonium nitrate (AN) from the List of Highly Hazardous
Chemicals, Toxics and Reactives in its Process Safety Management (PSM) standard, 29 CFR
1910.119, even though AN possesses reactive characteristics that would have triggered its
inclusion.

5. Because the WFC facility was covered under the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Risk Management Program rule for its anhydrous ammonia tanks (but not for its FGAN), WFC
employees and emergency responders demonstrated a greater awareness of the hazards associated
with onsite storage of anhydrous ammonia than those associated with FGAN. AN is not on the
EPA Risk Management Program list of chemicals, so the WFC was not required to take safety
measures for FGAN similar to those for ammonia.

Insurance Findings

6. WFC’s previous property and liability insurer, which provided insurance to WFC from 2006
through 2009, did not focus on FGAN hazards in its annual insurance inspections because it was
not required to do so. However, the insurer did not renew WFC’s commercial property policy in
2010 because WFC repeatedly failed to comply with the insurer’s safety-related
recommendations (e.g., to replace corroded electrical wiring), which were identified in loss
control surveys. The CSB found little evidence of onsite activity or inspections by WFC’s
subsequent insurer, U.S. Fire, which insured the facility at the time of the incident.

Emergency Response Findings

7. The West Volunteer Fire Department (WVFD) did not conduct pre-incident planning or response
training at the WFC facility to address FGAN-related incidents because was no such regulatory
requirement. Thus, the firefighters who responded to the WFC fire did not have sufficient
information to make an informed decision on how best to respond to the fire at the fertilizer
facility.

8. Federal and state of Texas curriculum manuals used for hazardous materials (HAZMAT) training
and certification of firefighters placed little emphasis on emergency response to storage sites
containing FGAN. On the other hand, HAZMAT shipping and transportation were covered
frequently in the courses. Many federal and state grants support the resource needs of firefighters
and fire departments; however, these grants are used more often for resources such as personal
protection equipment or firefighting equipment rather than for training.

9. Lessons learned from previous FGAN-related fires and explosions were not shared with volunteer
fire departments, including the WVFD. If previous lessons learned had been applied in West, the
firefighters and emergency personnel who responded to the incident might have better understood
the risks associated with FGAN-related fire.

Emergency Planning Findings

10. Despite WFC documentation of its FGAN in a 2012 Tier II report, the WVFD did not conduct
drills and exercises at the WFC facility before the 2013 fire and explosion.

11. The agricultural use exemption under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know
Act (EPCRA) is not clear about which facilities are covered under the exemption. Before the
WFC fire and explosion, the state of Texas determined that the WFC was exempt under the
EPCRA agricultural use exemption.

Land Use Planning Findings

12. At the time of its construction, the WFC facility was surrounded by open fields, and no zoning
regulations existed when it began operations.

13. As the city of West developed over the years, it expanded toward the WFC facility.

14. The proximity of the city of West to the WFC facility magnified the offsite consequence impacts.

15. Other FGAN facilities throughout Texas are located in close proximity to schools, residences, and
care facilities. Of the 40 FGAN facilities in Texas as of October 2015, 48 percent are within 0.5
miles of a school, nursing home, or hospital while 83 percent are within 0.25 miles of a residence.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 06:08:49 pm »
Living in nearby La Marque as a child during the 50s, seeing crumpled globe storage tanks and being told that was part of that explosion.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 11:28:40 am »
@thackney  Thanks for the info!  Sorry for the late reply.  It sounds like a lot of the rules were unclear but fixable.  So odd they couldn't find the arsonist.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 04:50:34 pm »
Wow.  I did not even know about this.  When I hear or read "Texas disaster", I automatically think of the hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900 that killed thousands.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »
Wow.  I did not even know about this.  When I hear or read "Texas disaster", I automatically think of the hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900 that killed thousands.
it was the largest non-nuclear explosion at the time.  Pieces of the ship were found no larger than a car.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 09:15:08 pm »
! No longer available

Top 5 Non Nuclear Explosions

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:23:42 pm by Elderberry »