Author Topic: Get A Grip On Lever-Action Accuracy  (Read 3265 times)

Offline thackney

Get A Grip On Lever-Action Accuracy
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:19:13 pm »
Get A Grip On Lever-Action Accuracy
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/1/24/get-a-grip-on-lever-action-accuracy/'
January 24, 2018

Most hunters consider traditional lever-action rifles to be less accurate than bolt-action rifles, and let it go at that. Altogether, there is no way the lever-action, with its rear locking lugs, two-piece stock and a tubular magazine tied to its barrel, can compete with the bolt-action’s rigid lockup and one-piece stock. But even though the bolt-action may have the accuracy edge, lever-actions are still plenty precise for many hunting applications.

To confirm that I wasn’t just trying to convince myself of that, I talked with Eric Lundgren, the product manager for Remington and Marlin rifles. He shot his first deer many years ago with a lever-action Marlin Model 336 chambered in .30-30 Win. “I’ve been a 336 junky ever since,” he said. “In fact, I killed my first 10 deer with the 336, and still occasionally hunt with the rifle.”

Lundgren said Marlin engineers have managed to produce great accuracy when testing Marlin lever-actions. It all depends, however, on a couple of important factors. One of those factors is the bullets fired through those firearms. Often, the big, round-nose, flat-base bullets commonly shot in lever-actions do not possess quite the accuracy potential of the sleek, boattail designs commonly fired in bolt-action rifles. Another factor is sights. “The open sights on lever-actions are rugged,” Lundgren said. “But I’m 51, and can’t see them as well as someone who is 21.” Marlin tests its Model 1894 lever-action chambered in .44 Mag. for accuracy at 50 yds., aiming with the carbine’s open sights. “We expect the guns to shoot 2" groups at that distance,” he said.

Conversely, Marlin tests the accuracy of its Model 336 and 1895 rifles at 100 yds. and mounts scopes on them to remove eyesight issues from the accuracy equation. “Our new Model 1895GSBL .45-70 shoots groups between 1½" and 2" at 100 yds.,” he said. “Bolt-action rifles may be a bit more accurate, but not all that much.”...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Get A Grip On Lever-Action Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:25:43 pm »
I had a Marlin in .44 Magnum, and it was the most accurate rifle straight out of the box I have ever had (Iron sights). Great brush gun for hunting back in the breaks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:16:10 pm »
I had a Marlin in .44 Magnum, and it was the most accurate rifle straight out of the box I have ever had (Iron sights). Great brush gun for hunting back in the breaks.

I've immediately installed peep sights on my lever actions rifles. And the one pump rifle I own came with peep sights when I purchased it. I have found my lever actions to produce several half dollar size 100 yd groups. My dad had no problem hitting oil cans offhand at 150 yds.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 07:41:47 pm »
I've immediately installed peep sights on my lever actions rifles. And the one pump rifle I own came with peep sights when I purchased it. I have found my lever actions to produce several half dollar size 100 yd groups. My dad had no problem hitting oil cans offhand at 150 yds.

@Elderberry
NOPE. No peep for me. Can't see through the dang thing... But I could get respectably close to what you are saying with an open ladder sight. Really though, around here, a carbine is a saddle gun, or a brush gun... You'll rarely get 75-100 yard shots with em. 50-75 yards is likely, and easy with open sights.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:42:43 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:01 pm »
@Elderberry
NOPE. No peep for me. Can't see through the dang thing... But I could get respectably close to what you are saying with an open ladder sight. Really though, around here, a carbine is a saddle gun, or a brush gun... You'll rarely get 75-100 yard shots with em. 50-75 yards is likely, and easy with open sights.
I'm fond of the Williams Foolproof sights. The apertures come with differing size holes and several of my friends that hunt with my Marlin 45/70 take the aperture completely out. Its like a "Ghost Ring" sight then. Plenty accurate for hunting.

I hate to see anyone put a scope on a lever gun. To me, it takes away the quickness and handiness of the gun.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 11:06:03 pm »
I'm fond of the Williams Foolproof sights. The apertures come with differing size holes and several of my friends that hunt with my Marlin 45/70 take the aperture completely out. Its like a "Ghost Ring" sight then. Plenty accurate for hunting.

I hate to see anyone put a scope on a lever gun. To me, it takes away the quickness and handiness of the gun.

That's right... I used to carry a ladder sight in case I needed a long shot, but it turned out to be more of a PIA than not - I rubbed it off in the brush many a time... so I finally abandoned it altogether. If I need long shots, I will be bringing another rifle, better suited to the task... a 30.06, 7mm mag, or 300 Win mag... all outfitted with scopes.

But I never did get the hang of a peep. Ghost ring is alright - but often in the brush, all you get is a snap shot, somewhere 35-75 yards... taking time to mess with apertures sometimes means a missed shot... So, like I said, open sights - I can judge what I need to on the fly.

No fault no foul, mind you - Different strokes and all.  :beer:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:34:22 pm »
The Envelope Please! My Best Rifle Sight Award Goes To…

A peep sight is a very special thing that is the fastest and most effective non-optical sighting system available. If you are a dedicated iron sight user and have not tried a “peep,” you are missing something wonderful. Or, if you think you have to have a scope to hit well; I guess it is a little like betting against the guy in bib overalls, shooting a worn out Model 12 at a turkey shoot. Better keep your money in your pocket!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-envelope-please-my-best-rifle-sight-award-goes-to/

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 03:55:20 am »
@Elderberry
@Elderberry  I have the same problem with peep sights. With just the factory iron sights, I was picking 12 ga shotgun hulls off a plank at 70 yards, just sitting there and plinking. Needless to say, I was thrilled with the rifle. I had looked for one for months before I finally found that one. I was even more pleased with the rifle when I fired it.

That round isn't so much a long distance round, and it is identical to the .44 Remington Magnum I shoot in my Ruger Super Blackhawk, which is why I bought the rifle--to have both use the same ammo. Within 100-150 yards in brush, the 240 grain Hollow Points make for a serviceable brush gun for coyote or deer, or what ails you. For small game or snakes, there are shot loads as well. If bear are a threat (not here) you can shoot the 300 grain round nose and get the sort of penetration and stopping power to deal with that threat. There was a time I'd load one of those shot rounds first in the wheel to give someone a second chance if I needed it for self defense, but, admittedly, I have come to the conclusion that if I need it for that, there won't be one. (I generally use a semiauto--.45 or 9mm--or smaller wheel gun for carry (,38). )

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:36:04 am »
I have the same problem with peep sights. With just the factory iron sights, I was picking 12 ga shotgun hulls off a plank at 70 yards, just sitting there and plinking.

Wish I could say as much... Sad but true, @Smokin Joe , but a shotgun shell @ 70 yards is probably beyond my ability... My eyes just don't get that far anymore. :(

I can still see a gopher aright that far off, but I am seriously considering putting a scope on the .22  :shrug:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 12:45:43 pm »
I'm sad to hear that y'all don't like peep sights.

First addition to any rifle I own that I don't scope has always been to put peep sights on them.

That's all our military uses.

I had to go back to the 1896 Krag to find a US Military rifle that used open sights.

1903 Springfield                                                                                    1917Enfield

M1 Garand                                                         M1 Carbine

My dad used to take live 22 rounds and wedge them in the bark of pine trees. He would go back and shoot them with his 22 to set them off, until one case flew back and hit him.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 03:16:48 pm »
I still plan to eventually give a peep site a try on one of my levers.  Probably on the Rossi 44 mag so I appreciate the thread.  But it will be a while until home projects are done.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:23:42 pm »

http://www.chuckhawks.com/aperture_sights.html

Gun Sights 101: Iron Sights, Pt. 1

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2017/4/18/gun-sights-101-iron-sights-pt-1/

Got one of those on my 1968 model 336.   It has brought home the bacon many times over the years.  Still the one I go to if I'm hunting in the woods around here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 08:24:26 am »
Wish I could say as much... Sad but true, @Smokin Joe , but a shotgun shell @ 70 yards is probably beyond my ability... My eyes just don't get that far anymore. :(

I can still see a gopher aright that far off, but I am seriously considering putting a scope on the .22  :shrug:
I don't think I could do that now. I took it out of the box for the first time almost 40 years ago. I have optics on a few now, and I like it. .

C S Lewis