Author Topic: In L.A. today, fitness can mean IV drips, vitamin shots and a daily freeze at -292 degrees  (Read 268 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
In L.A. today, fitness can mean IV drips, vitamin shots and a daily freeze at -292 degrees
Ronald D. White

When Amber Dodson needs a break from her rigorous workout regimen, she steps nearly naked into a high-tech machine that looks like a giant energy drink can. Only her head is visible as the temperature in the chamber plummets to minus 292 degrees Fahrenheit for three minutes, liquid nitrogen vapor billowing down the sides.

"I tend to get extremely inflamed and I don't like taking days off," said Dodson, 36, who pays $299 a month for up to 30 sessions at Coast Cryo in Marina del Rey. "It's been a lifesaver because I can't deal with sore muscles and bad sleep."

Cryotherapy, a freezing treatment used by elite athletes such as LeBron James and Michael Phelps, is just one of the pricey injury recovery and prevention strategies that are exploding in popularity in Los Angeles — despite a lack of scientific evidence in many cases to support their efficacy. Cryotherapy alone is expected to grow to a $5.6-billion global industry by 2024, up from $2.5 billion in 2016, according to Grand View Research, a market research and consulting company.

Read more at: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fitness-fads-20180405-story.html

It's not just in LA, these things have been in the news for a while.  I do like the part of the article saying an "ice pack" can have the same effect, I think it's always been a treatment to put athletes in ice filled tubs if one can take it.