Author Topic: All April Music Thread Archive  (Read 17296 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Wednesday, April 18th, 2018 Music Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2018, 03:52:11 pm »
A few more,

http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/index.php

Curtis Potter who had his own career and also recorded some with Willie Nelson, "In My Own Peculiar Way":

Pete Pyle, "Living In Sorrow", this looks like Bluegrass styled music.

Some of these artists are obscure, sang in the movies,

Billy Liebert, Sons of the Pioneers, here with Ken Curtis, I'm sure the band had many different members, so I don't know if he is in this lineup, "What Makes A Man Wander"

Leon(Abner) Weaver of the Weaver Brothers, "Prison Sorrows":
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:54:04 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2018, 05:04:18 pm »
Skip Spence:
This is either untruthful or more like he played some for QMS before they were known in any way, before they recorded.
It's untruthful. Spence thought about joining Quicksilver and was, in fact, en route an audition for that band (I'm guessing it was to replace
would-have-been/eventual leader Dino Valente, who was poked into the calaboose on a marijuana charge and unable to join up with them
until after his release near 1970) when he bumped into Marty Balin, who decided on the spot that Spence looked like a drummer and
told him flatly, "You're my new drummer." Perhaps knowing the Airplane had just signed a recording contract with RCA Victor, Spence
abandoned any thoughts of auditioning for or joining Quicksilver right on the spot.

Spence had tinkered with drums but never played them in a band until he was practically shanghaied into the early Jefferson Airplane. Spence
accepted the "invitation" and spent a week brushing up on his drum skills, such as they were, before the Airplane began recording Jefferson
Airplane Takes Off
. Spence even wrote or co-wrote a few of the songs on that album, particularly . . .

Jefferson Airplane, "Blues from an Airplane" (which opened the album)

! No longer available

Jefferson Airplaine, "Don't Slip Away"

! No longer available

. . . and, one song the Airplane saved for their second album, though Spence left the group well before they began recording
it:

Jefferson Airplane, "My Best Friend"

! No longer available

Except for Oar, which he cut in Nashville after leaving Moby Grape and on which he played all the instruments, Spence
spent decades in and out of mental hospitals and as a ward of the state in California, until the Grape reunited in 1990 for
a new album on which---thanks to that ex-manager's litigations over their band name---they billed themselves as the
Legendary Grape, with Spence contributing the song "All My Life I Love You." He played a few gigs with the Grape during
1993 and 1996. He died of lung cancer at 52 in 1999.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:20:14 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2018, 07:14:45 pm »
We had the birthdays of Tim Feild, Dusty Springfield in about the last week and Dusty's brother's Tom's birthday in about the last month or so...

In this video, Tim Feild is on the left, Dusty of course, in the middle and brother Tom on the right. In the opening 30 seconds, you can see how Dusty seems to be uncomfortably crowded on Tim's side as they start the song up, maybe they were just vying to be on camera but nonetheless, a good performance.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:15:57 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2018, 07:23:09 pm »
Paul A. Rothschild also produced the seminal Butterfield Blues Band album . . .

The Butterfield Blues Band, East-West

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2018, 12:44:47 am »
It's untruthful. Spence thought about joining Quicksilver and was, in fact, en route an audition for that band (I'm guessing it was to replace
would-have-been/eventual leader Dino Valente, who was poked into the calaboose on a marijuana charge and unable to join up with them
until after his release near 1970) when he bumped into Marty Balin, who decided on the spot that Spence looked like a drummer and
told him flatly, "You're my new drummer." Perhaps knowing the Airplane had just signed a recording contract with RCA Victor, Spence
abandoned any thoughts of auditioning for or joining Quicksilver right on the spot.

It's not that important, just saying, this is out on the net and even Sundazed records says so. See 2nd entry below.

Spence first came into the scene as a guitarist for Quicksilver Messenger Service, but was quickly recruited by Marty Balin to join Jefferson Airplane as their drummer even though he had never played the drums. 
http://themusicsover.com/tag/quicksilver-messenger-service/
After playing in Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Jefferson Airplane, Alexander "Skip" Spence created one of rock's truly visionary landmarks, 1969's acid soaked Oar. His only solo album, the disc was more than a little too far out for the record-buying public when it was first released. But in the intervening decades, it's become a holy grail for sonic surrealists everywhere and an unquestioned touchstone of the recent acid-freak-folk movement.
https://sundazed.com/c/246-Spence-Alexander-Skip.aspx

He had started his career as a guitarist in an early line-up of Quicksilver Messenger Service, and was the drummer on Jefferson Airplane’s debut album, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off.
http://psychedelicized.com/playlist/a/alexander-skip-spence/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2018, 01:00:56 am »
Even the all music guide includes him as one of the members:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/quicksilver-messenger-service-mn0000317417
Group Members
David Freiberg
Gary Duncan
Martin Fierro
Mike Lewis
Dino Valenti
John Cipollina
Greg Elmore
Nicky Hopkins
Chuck Steaks
Dino Valente
Frank Morin
Jose Reyes
Mark Naftalin
Mark Ryan
Pat O'Hara
Ron Taormina
Sammy Piazza
Skip Olson
Skip Spence
Jim Murray

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2018, 02:53:13 am »
Even the all music guide includes him as one of the members:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/quicksilver-messenger-service-mn0000317417
Apparently, when Quicksilver Messenger Service first formed, they rehearsed at the Matrix, the San Francisco club Marty Balin created circa
1965. Spence may or may not have been intended for them; he may or may not have auditioned or even rehearsed once or twice with them,
but Balin plucked him away for the Airplane early and often, as the saying goes. Spence never had much longer an association with the
Quicksilver boys and, of course, never recorded with them. Apparently, too, Balin helped Quicksilver fill out their early lineup to make up for
poaching Skip Spence, whether or not Spence was yet a full Quicksilver member---Balin recommended that John Cipollina and David Freiberg
enlist drummer Greg Elmore and guitarist Gary Duncan. Two other players added on, George Quick and Jim Murray (Murray and Freiberg are
usually credited with coming up with the band's name), but they departed the band just before they finally began recording their first album;
Murray left right after Quicksilver played the Monterey Pop Festival which Moby Grape's foolish manager blocked them (including Spence)
from playing. Quicksilver signed with Capitol Records at the same time as the original Steve Miller Band in late 1967.

Offline TomSea

Thursday, April 19th, 2018 Music Thread
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2018, 04:02:46 am »
Thursday, April 19th, 2018 Music Thread
All Music Is Welcomed!

https://www.onthisday.com/music/birthdays/april/19
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/born_today

A few birthdays today,

Don Barbour of the 4 Freshmen, 'Shangri-La":

Alexis Korner, here with Steve Marriot, "Diamonds In The Rough":

"The King Of Novelty", Dickie Goodman,  these look like your comedic, satirical songs...
Buchanan and Goodman from 1956, "Flying Saucer":

"Mr. Rocky":

A lot of videos from this artist...

Dudley Moore, here with Christopher Cross for the theme of 'Arthur', he played piano, I just know mainly, he was in that movie.

Dudley Moore Trio, 'Look Of Love':

Ruby Johnson, 'I'll Run Your Love Away':

Genya Raven of Goldie and the Gingerbreads,  'Can't You Hear My Heartbeat':

And Ten Wheel Drive, 'Tightrope'

Roberto Carlos of Brazil, 'You Will Remember Me':

Alan Price, the Animals, keyboards, must be that organ on 'House of the Rising Sun':

Mike Kelly, the Duprees, 'You Belong To Me':

Born on this day, South African producer and engineer, Eddie Kramer, working with the Beatles on 'Magical Mystery Tour', Bowie on 'Young Americans, Hendrix, Kinks, Led Zeppelin (engineered 5 albums),  Rolling Stones and Santana. See links for more.

That will be all for the time being, never meaning to short anyone!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:06:46 am by TomSea »

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
Re: Thursday, April 19th, 2018 Music Thread
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2018, 10:50:02 am »
Birthday related...

Don Barbour-Four Freshmen:

! No longer available

Dickie Goodman:

! No longer available

! No longer available

Alan Price-Animals:

! No longer available

Mark Volman-Turtles:

! No longer available

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2018, 07:10:19 pm »
Birthdays today include Alexis Korner, considered the father of British blues thanks to his Blues Incorporated (formed when
he and harmonica player/singer Cyril Davies spun it off their time in the Chris Barber jazz outfit) becoming a kind of
training ground for musicians who eventually kicked the British blues boom into gear---including John Mayall, Jack Bruce,
Ginger Baker, Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Andy Pyle, Graham Bond, Long John Baldry, and
Dick Heckstall-Smith (you might note the nucleuses of both the Rolling Stones and the Graham Bond Organisation
passing through Korner's group) . . .

Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated, BBC Jazz Club broadcast; the lineup: Korner (guitar, vocals); Cyril Davies
(harmonica, vocals); Dick Heckstall-Smith (saxophones); Dave Stevens (piano); Jack Bruce (bass); Charlie Watts (drums)

! No longer available

. . . Bernie Worrell, keyboardsman who worked with Parliament/Funkadelic . . .

Funkadelic, "Cosmic Slop"

! No longer available

. . . and Talking Heads . . .

Talking Heads, "Crosseyed and Painless"

! No longer available

. . . Andy Shernoff (who sometimes billed himself as Adny Shernoff), bassist/keyboards/vocals and primary songwriter for
New York punk legends the Dictators . . .

The Dictators, "Weekend"

! No longer available

The Dictators, "(I Live for) Cars and Girls"

! No longer available

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2018, 07:23:07 pm »
Speaking of Cyril Davies, who knows how far he might have gone had he not died prematurely of leukemia in 1964 . . .

Cyril Davies and his Rhythm and Blues All-Stars, "Country Line Special"

! No longer available

Cyril Davies and his Rhythm and Blues All-Stars, "Chicago Calling"

! No longer available

Cyril Davies and his Rhythm and Blues All-Stars, "Preachin' the Blues"/"Sweet Mary"

! No longer available

After Davies' death, Long John Baldry (who sang with them now and then) took the All-Stars and formed his Hoochie Coochie
Men, which eventually evolved into another British R&B legend, Steampacket . . .

Offline TomSea

Friday, April 20th, 2018 Music Thread
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2018, 04:50:53 am »
Friday, April 20th, 2018 Music Thread
All Music Is Welcomed!

A few birthdays today,

Emile Christian, New Orleans jazz musician, 'Paper Doll':

Lionel Hampton, also a New Orleans jazz musician, 'Flying Home':

Tito Puente, Salsa legend, here doing Santana's "Oye Como Va":

'Quimbara' with Celia Cruz (the Queen of Salsa), she is a famous singer for that genre of music

On Celia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celia_Cruz
Tito is pretty good to explore this kind of music with, talk show host, Michael Savage is a big fan of this genre, it seems he heard this growing up in NY.

Johnny Tillotson, known for songs such as 'Gidget', 'Poetry In Motion' and 'Talk Back Trembling Lips'

Jimmy Winston, the original keyboardist for the Small Faces before Ian McLagen came into the band.  Jimmy Winston and the Reflections doing 'Sorry, She's Mine':

Craig Frost, keyboards for Grand Funk Railroad... the one website says, okay, I'm game, why was the GFR album called "Mark, Don and Mel"? I guess, the keyboardist wasn't a bona fide member? I'm not going to explore it now and no one needs too, I can do this some Sunday afternoon. The website mentions "Some Kind of Wonderful" (I do see 4 Grand Funk members on the cover of "Women of the World Beware", so perhaps he was added on, so there):

Also, a member of the Silver Bullet band with Bob Seger, 'Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser':

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet band with 'You're Still The Same':

Luther Vandross, 'Power of Love':

Mikey Welsh of Weezer, 'Say It Ain't So':

Stephen Marley, Bob's son, performing with Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers, "Tomorrow People", I've always thought this was really a good song from the first time I heard it:

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, 'Pull Me Under':

Dream Theater is your "prog-rock" I believe.

More artists later.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:53:16 am by TomSea »

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
Re: Friday, April 20th, 2018 Music Thread
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2018, 01:24:08 pm »
Birthday related...

Johnny Tillotson:

! No longer available

! No longer available

Offline TomSea

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2018, 03:37:23 pm »
Some country, rockabilly, bluegrass, hill music birthdays today...

Mimi Roman, a forgotten star still with us...
http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=12760
'Love Lies':

Floy Case, no videos but this is about her: http://findingaids.library.unt.edu/?p=collections/findingaid&id=716#.WtoHDLiYFVI

Reno Browne,  a star in those old Western serials:

Hylo Brown, bluegrass musician, "Many Moons Ago":

Jeanette Hicks, "So Far (Yet So Far Away)"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:38:35 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2018, 03:50:38 pm »
Small Faces with Kiki Dee in the 1960s:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:51:28 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2018, 05:01:14 pm »
Craig Frost, keyboards for Grand Funk Railroad... the one website says, okay, I'm game, why was the GFR album called "Mark, Don and Mel"? I guess, the keyboardist wasn't a bona fide member?
I happen to know why---because the Mark, Don & Mel 1969-1971 anthology summarised Grand Funk Railroad as the power trio
they were in those years, before they enlisted Craig Frost as a fourth member.

Frost was a member of Terry Knight & the Pack with Mark Farner and Don Brewer in the mid-to-late 1960s, before Knight left
the group to become a Capitol Records executive and impresario. The Pack tried to continue but after a mishap in the northeast
involving arranged gigs that proved not to exist, the band was stranded in a nasty blizzard and had to scratch and claw their way
home to Michigan, whereupon Frost and a couple of other members were told, apparently, to either give up the band or give up
their women. Mark Farner (by then the lead singer) and Don Brewer hooked up with bassist Mel Schacher and thus was born Grand
Funk, with Terry Knight managing and producing them.

After Grand Funk began to tire of the power trio format and manager Knight's overhype and dictatorial handling of them and
his double-dipping on their rather formidable income (they were America's no-questions-asked most popular concert draw and
sold albums in the millions in 1969-71), they fired Knight---at tremendous cost, as things turned out; they lost their song publishing
through 1971 in the settlement and their timing was horrible---they had, it was said, only three months left before their deal with
Knight would expire. They recorded Phoenix with Frost credited as a guest musician, I suppose to get his feet wet before
making him a full-fledged member of the group. Now a quartet, Grand Funk enjoyed a formidable second life as hitmakers, making
six more albums before they broke up in 1976.

When they reunited in 1980 for two albums, they were back to a trio; they reunited again as a trio in the mid-1990s and kept going,
even after a rift that drove Mark Farner out of the group when they refused to allow him to be a band member and sustain a solo
career on the side. (They'd aced him out of his share of Grand Funk as a business entity; Farner to this day can only bill himself as
"Formerly of Grand Funk," legally---he can't be "Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad" anymore.) Grand Funk still tours today as a
quintet with Brewer, Schacher, singer Max Carl, former Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick, and former keyboardsman for Robert Palmer and
Bob Seger, Tim Cashion.

Craig Frost has worked with Bob Seger's Silver Bullet Band since the 1980s (Don Brewer was a member for a time) and has sat
in with the current version of Grand Funk a few times since 2005.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2018, 12:29:36 am »
Very good information, thanks @EasyAce

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2018, 12:44:14 am »
4-20?   Dopers thread.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2018, 02:07:39 am »
4-20?   Dopers thread.
Just for you . . .

David Peel & the Lower East Side, "I Like Marijuana"

! No longer available

For the record: It's legal in my state, and I like it now and then---strictly in candies, since I can't handle the smoke.

Offline TomSea

Weekend Music Thread, April 21st-22nd, 2018
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2018, 03:31:58 am »
Weekend Music Thread, April 21st-22nd, 2018
All Music Is Welcomed...

We will check out a few of Saturday's birthdays, anyone is welcome to look at Sunday's and post as well.

References, the Rock and Roll website: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/born_today
General website for musical birthdays, a lot of classical musicians: https://www.onthisday.com/music/birthdays.php who really, deserve more attention.
Country website: http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/index.php

Before anything else, on some artists that might slip by, here is an Israeli hard rock band from the 1960s I've listened to some, the Churchills with "When You're Gone":
! No longer available
A lot of interesting rock and all music really, out there. Israel had another group a bit similar in vein as well.

Now, some birthdays, Ira Louvin of the Louvin Brothers, they had some commercial success in the country music market, they also indeed, made some fire and brimstone gospel music. They are also related to the famous songwriter, John D. Loudermilk:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Louvin_Brothers
"Cash On The Barrel head":
! No longer available

Iggy Pop, "Search and Destroy" with the Stooges:
! No longer available

John Weider, guitarist for the Animals from '66-'68, "Sky Pilot"  (Also in the band, Family)
! No longer available

Nicole Barclay of Fanny, we just posted a few of their songs days ago.

Mike Barson of Madness, keyboards, British Ska band, "It Must Be Love":
! No longer available

Michael Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies, "A Horse In The Country":
! No longer available

Robert Smith, the Cure, "Friday I'm In Love":
! No longer available

John Maher, Buzzcocks, we just posted some of their songs.

Paul Davis, "I Go Crazy":
! No longer available

Patti Lupone, as Evita in that musical..."Don't Cry For Me, Argentina":
! No longer available
In "Anything Goes":
! No longer available

More later, apologies that these are mainly all pop musicians and yesterday, I don't think I got the birthday links up.  I see some heavy metal bands are represented at the links.

Offline TomSea

Re: Weekend Music Thread, April 21st-22nd, 2018
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2018, 03:42:02 am »
Non-Birthday related:

Scott Sandy, "Shake It Up", more raucous rockabilly out of the Carolinas, excellent stuff:

! No longer available

Scott Sandy was his stage name, his real name was Tommy Faile, he wrote an all time great trucker song... "Phantom 309 sung by Red Sovine who had a big hit with it:

! No longer available

The Sparkletones as well, hailed from the Carolinas,  one of their major hits was "Black Slacks", Simon and Garfunkel covered this
! No longer available

The original "Black Slacks" by Joe Bennet and the Sparkletones, yes, one of their guitar players looks no more than mid-teens:
! No longer available

Ghost Highway's version was posted in the past, link only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPh081g7z_k

So, real fun music, unconventional rock and roll coming out of there... also, Oranjie Hubbard's "You're A Tiger" fits into this mode...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:49:20 pm by TomSea »

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2018, 12:40:11 pm »
Weekend birthdays...

Don Cornell:

written by Dale Evans aka Mrs. Roy Rogers...

! No longer available

Bobby McClure:

! No longer available

Glen Campbell:

! No longer available

Mel Carter:

! No longer available

Offline TomSea

« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2018, 02:30:52 pm »

Some country birthdays,

Carl Belew of Oklahoma, "Lonely Street",
! No longer available
IMO, very good and he has plenty of others.

Hillous Buel "Bew" Butrum , member of Hank Williams' drifting Cowboys.

Wade Mainer, Bluegrass oriented type music. "Wreck of the Ol' 97"
! No longer available
(bing gives songs with often, few hits, I don't know how good some of these are)

Blind Jack Mathis - "Charming Jesse Lee":
! No longer available

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:41:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2018, 02:44:51 pm »
Per link above, J.D. Jarvis was born on this day in history too.....

JD Jarvis, '"That Lonely River':
! No longer available

But check out some of his his life story, excerpt per forum rules:

Stateside in 1946, J.D. Jarvis embarks on bluegrass career

HAMILTON — It was during J.D. Jarvis’ final hospital stay in Belgium that he met Gen. George Patton face-to-face.

“We called him ‘the big boy.’ He was as tough as they come, but he was a great general. He came right up on the front lines, about the only general that did that,” Jarvis said.

When Jarvis was 14, his father was killed during an altercation while running a taxi service, running coal miners in and out of town to a bar.

Read more at: https://www.journal-news.com/news/local/stateside-1946-jarvis-embarks-bluegrass-career/HaqkZmwKY4DJlrmkqHq4YM/

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2018, 04:04:33 pm »
22 April birthdays include a titan of jazz, bassist/composer/occasional pianist Charles Mingus . . .

Charles Mingus, "Jelly Roll"

! No longer available

Charles Mingus, "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting"

! No longer available

Charles Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

! No longer available

. . . jazz bassist Paul Chambers, who played with several notable ensembles such as the first great Miles Davis Quintet (1950s) and Davis's Kind of Blue sextet . .

Miles Davis, "Freddie Freeloader"

! No longer available

. . . and Wynton Kelly . . .

Wynton Kelly, "Wrinkles"

! No longer available

. . . rock guitarist/vocalist Peter Frampton . . .

Peter Frampton, "Something's Happening"

! No longer available

Peter Frampton, "Do You Feel Like We Do"

! No longer available

. . . Paul Carrack, British singer/keyboardsman who had and sang  hits with Ace . . .

Ace, "How Long"

! No longer available

. . . and Squeeze . . .

Squeeze, "Tempted"

! No longer available