Author Topic: Ohio Sheriff Says His Officers Won’t Carry Narcan by Corky Siemaszko  (Read 809 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Ohio Sheriff Says His Officers Won’t Carry Narcan

by Corky Siemaszko   |   Jul 7 2017, 3:29 pm ET

The sheriff of one opioid-ravaged Ohio county is refusing to equip his deputies with Narcan, the drug that has saved the lives of countless overdosing addicts.

Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones insists he is not heartless but says requiring deputies to administer the remedy puts them in danger and the cost of repeatedly treating people with Narcan is “sucking the taxpayers dry.”
"All we're doing is reviving them, we’re not curing them," Jones told NBC News on Friday. "One person we know has been revived 20 separate times."

But, Jones hastened to add, "We don’t go there and let people die."

"Here in Ohio, the live squads (paramedics) get in there about the same time and they’re more equipped to use Narcan," he said. "The people who use drugs don’t usually like the police and they turn violent once they're revived."

"Some police departments that use Narcan won’t even allow police to use it unless there’s two officers on the scene," he added. "The police feel unsafe using this Narcan because they have to get down on their knees, squirt it into their nose, and the people they are saving are not happy to see them. They’re angry as hell."

snip

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/ohio-sheriff-says-his-overdosing-ohioans-my-guys-have-no-n780666
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
In my opinion, our no consequence or low consequence society has greatly made this a crisis.

Obamacare mandates treatment at virtually no cost to the addict.

Narcan means the addict can be brought back from the dead.

The carefree culture, of nose rings and tattoos, makes it fine to be a drug addict.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Some people just need dying.  No problems with this SO.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out that the manufacturer of Narcan has a hand in expanding the the customer base for it's product? I mean we already know that some of the pharmaceutical companies paid bribes to doctors to prescribe their products to expand market share, maybe they aren't alone.