Author Topic: China Imposes Tariffs On More Than 125 US Imports Including Fruit And Pork As Fears Of Trade War Gro  (Read 4441 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Without their cheap goods we will have massive inflation. Trade is mutually beneficial. <That is a big NOPE> will never understand that.

Define Trade. What we've been getting as Trade is the equivalent of being offered your life for your wallet in a dark alley.

Are there any parameters you use to determine 'Trade' beyond "Anything Goes"?

Do WTO agreements enter into you calculations?

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/2016-China-Report-to-Congress.pdf

We have to keep at least 1 Carrier Battle Group on China's doorstep, as they threaten the entire hemisphere.

http://www.businessinsider.com/military-strike-syria-cost-2013-9

"it costs about $25 million a week for a carrier strike group in routine operations. If the carrier was used in military operations, the cost would rise to $40 million a week as a result of longer flight hours for its planes."

Figure That into the purchase price of every item of 'Cheap Imported Goods' from China.

Your solipsistic platitudinal slogans don't get the center square in this round.

Neither does your calling other people NAZIs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:05:47 am by Mod1 »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Define Trade. What we've been getting as Trade is the equivalent of being offered your life for your wallet in a dark alley.

Consumers make a decision every time they are offered a choice of buying a product. Do you want the government to dictate what they can and cannot buy?

That is trade.

Do WTO agreements enter into you calculations?

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/2016-China-Report-to-Congress.pdf

WTO has their own process for settling trade disputes.

We have to keep at least 1 Carrier Battle Group on China's doorstep, as they threaten the entire hemisphere.

http://www.businessinsider.com/military-strike-syria-cost-2013-9

"it costs about $25 million a week for a carrier strike group in routine operations. If the carrier was used in military operations, the cost would rise to $40 million a week as a result of longer flight hours for its planes."

Figure That into the purchase price of every item of 'Cheap Imported Goods' from China.

Your solipsistic platitudinal slogans don't get the center square in this round.

Cutting them off economically will not do anything to encourage better integration with the West and our values. It will encourage more extremism in China.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Without their cheap goods we will have massive inflation. Trade is mutually beneficial. <That is a big NOPE> will never understand that.

As an old commodity trader I understand that completely!  I am not a Trumper nor a non-Trumper.  He is our President.  He has made me angry and made me happy.  No one can agree on everything.  That, of course, is in my humble opinion, as the DJIA has taken an almost 700 point drop.  Ooops!

:facepalm2:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:07:15 am by Mod1 »
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
@To-Whose-Benefit? @Weird Tolkienish Figure

I dislike the name calling on TBR, also.  Not a good debate form.

:whistle:

"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Suppressed

...because the Chinese would be just sitting on their hands if we didn't trade with them.   *****rollingeyes*****
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline NavyCanDo

Stocks plummeting.    When he first mentioned Tariffs back during the debates we said what an awful idea that proved in the past to have long lasting negative effects.   Well here you go, Welcome to the new recession.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

• Wulf Anson Author

Consumers make a decision every time they are offered a choice of buying a product. Do you want the government to dictate what they can and cannot buy?

That is trade.

WTO has their own process for settling trade disputes.

Cutting them off economically will not do anything to encourage better integration with the West and our values. It will encourage more extremism in China.

Wow. Just Wow.

After their Premier just suspended China's governing document and declared Himself Leader/Ruler for Life.

China has no interest in integrating with the west, never has had any.

In China Integrating means Dominating.

You're backing Communism/Slave Labor this time by resorting to the Libertarian Trade Shibboleth when your original argument/gripe was 'Massive Inflation' caused by <That is a big NOPE>.

WTO has their own process for settling "Trade Disputes"

And just Who is going to Enforce their 'Process'?

Like the 'Peace Process' in the Middle East.

It's what you have when you don't have Peace.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:07:55 am by Mod1 »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Technical

Wow. Just Wow.

After their Premier just suspended China's governing document and declared Himself Leader/Ruler for Life.

You're backing Communism/Slave Labor this time by resorting to the Libertarian Trade Shibboleth when your original argument/gripe was 'Massive Inflation' caused by <That is a big NOPE>.

:shrug:

Don't take my word for it, look at the stock market. Tanking for no other reason than the Trumpertantrum.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:08:24 am by Mod1 »

• Wulf Anson Author
As for the Market, why the hair tearing fit with every mkt downturn?

It won't recover?

Because, . . . because, . . . . but, but, . . . . Trump!

What did you Expect when the Slave Labor/Communist Status Quo was threatened?

Where were the 'BUT TRUMP' folks when Xi's Stooge was popping off Missiles all over the region?

Somebody want to tell me WHY the mkt won't recover this time?

If it was Govt guaranteed to never go down, it would implode and burn like everything Else the Government Officially Takes Over.

Offline goatprairie

Stocks plummeting.    When he first mentioned Tariffs back during the debates we said what an awful idea that proved in the past to have long lasting negative effects.   Well here you go, Welcome to the new recession.
It's not like we didn't have recent evidence of what damage tariffs do. The last one, a steel tariff, imposed by the last Bush admin cost 200,000 American jobs.  They revoked the tariff after a year or so.
Trump has been right on a number of issues, but he's proving to be an economics ignoramus. He doesn't understand trade or deficits.  This is what happens when you get an egotistical know-it-all in office who really doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does.

Offline goatprairie

Wow. Just Wow.

What we do, we do to benefit us first, then the rest of the world. Whether China turns into a democracy or not,  we do things to benefit us. Our imposing tariffs is a disastrous idea for us.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:09:04 am by Mod1 »

• Wulf Anson Author

Don't take my word for it, look at the stock market. Tanking for no other reason than the Trumpertantrum.

And This answer presumes that Investors are somehow Wiser and more well balanced than non-investors.

Investors are emotional critters.

There are no economic literacy tests required to engage a broker and buy in. NONE.

• Wulf Anson Author
What we do, we do to benefit us first, then the rest of the world. Whether China turns into a democracy or not,  we do things to benefit us. Our imposing tariffs is a disastrous idea for us.

And $25 Million a Day to put a Carrier Battle group on China's doorstep is a Benefit to us?

Explain please. Who is going to get the bill for that?

Offline NavyCanDo

And $25 Million a Day to put a Carrier Battle group on China's doorstep is a Benefit to us?

There is a WEST PAC battle group deployed 365 days a year, every year.  In my day they were called a Carrier Air Group. On the East Coast it was the Mediteranian where we were deployed. That 25 million is spent regardless of where the group is stationed.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

Red China was a problem right from the moment we were done fighting Japanese together.  Hint: that wasn't because we were getting great deals from them.

How about, if you have so much excess cash, you write checks to US steel mfgs, rather than ask us all to give them welfare?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

The DJIA is up over 32% since his election.

Making better trade deals is good longer term.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

So?  When Obama took office, the stock market was just under 8K.  Right before the election, it was over 18K.  None of that was due to his great economic policy.  Touting the DJIA rise means you own the eventual downturn, if it happens on your watch.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:41:47 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

And the DJIA dropped 1100 over two days when Trump announced his steel tariffs.  Then it went down another 425 points today after China announced their (inevitable) retaliatory tariffs.  Maybe Trump should conduct a primer on how easy trade wars are to win so these stupid markets understand that.   *****rollingeyes***** Of course, most Presidents are smart enough to know they shouldn’t try and take credit when the market goes up.  Unfortunately, I’m afraid Trump just isn’t smart enough to recognize that.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

• Wulf Anson Author
There is a WEST PAC battle group deployed 365 days a year, every year.  In my day they were called a Carrier Air Group. On the East Coast it was the Mediteranian where we were deployed. That 25 million is spent regardless of where the group is stationed.

I have no argument with that.

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/party-directive-reveals-increased-chinese-theft-u-s-technology/

My gripe is that it could be spent more Effectively. We wouldn't Need to tie it up in the South China Sea if we weren't FREE Trading China back up onto its feet 24/7.

"China's illicit information and technology theft costs Americans $225 billion to $600 billion annually in lost information, the USTR report said."

Offline Frank Cannon

The diabolical Chinamen stealing shit. What a revelation.

• Technical

So you think taxing goods will make people richer then? Sounds like a Democrat to me.

Offline skeeter

The bill will come due when our carrier battle group has to deal with the one (or two) carrier battle groups China can now afford.

Offline Suppressed

I can't believe they ripped that off from Wacky Packages!

+++++++++

• Technical

The US has been doing this for ages. Ever buy store brand products? They're usually a direct copy of some name brand product.

Capitalism 101.

• Wulf Anson Author
The US has been doing this for ages. Ever buy store brand products? They're usually a direct copy of some name brand product.

Capitalism 101.

Counterfeit products and copyright violation are theft in the US. Not a Govt. Sanctioned method of doing business.

In China it IS their Govt. doing business.