Author Topic: China Imposes Tariffs On More Than 125 US Imports Including Fruit And Pork As Fears Of Trade War Gro  (Read 4428 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

China is imposing tariffs on more than 125 US imports including fruit and pork, heightening fears of a trade war between the two countries.

Tariffs of up to 25 per cent go into effect on Monday as President Xi Jinping's government followed through on a threat to impose the measures.

China confirmed it has suspended duty concessions on 128 US imports after President Donald Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminium "caused serious damage" to Beijing's interests.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/china-imposes-tariffs-128-imports-12288162
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Yeah. After having their Stooge running North Korea hurl missiles around worked out so well for them.

Go back after the Rest of the Federal Consumption tax (Corp Income) in this proposed 2nd round of tax cuts and the Trade War we unconditionally surrendered in already won't be a issue, because the Chi-Com Govt and Military will collapse.

Without our Money and our Markets, they starve.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

Without our money and our markets, they starve.

They've got people to spare and total control over information.  Their government has shown a complete willingness in the past to sacrifice millions to achieve their goals.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So we put tariffs on steel, and they put tariffs on 125 different items. Who are the d-bags here?
The Republic is lost.

• Wulf Anson Author
"The Trump administration hasn't published its list of Chinese goods that will face tariffs, but US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer told CNBC last week it would total more than $50bn (£35bn) and include "largely high-technology things".

HAHAHAHAHA.

China, renowned world leader in inventing 'High Technology' products.

Oh stop it. You're killing me.  :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Cutting off their own nose to 'Virtue (which they don't have) /Power Signal'

Their Nork Rocket Signaler got what amounted to the back of Beijing's hand when he rode his antique Tooner-ville Trolly Train into town.

We shouldn't be trading with China at all.

The sooner it goes bust and Everyone pulls out of China the better and safer place the whole world will be.

Then we can get serious about rooting out and deporting Chinese Secret Political Police and Industrial Spies and kicking them out of America.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:45:04 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline edpc

China, renowned world leader in inventing 'High Technology' products.

They don’t come up with a lot of the ideas, but they’re responsible for making most of it.

• Wulf Anson Author
All this Free Trade (giving away the store) crap was accompanied with pronouncements that it would open the door to Peace and Understanding through Global Democratization as the benighted serfs enjoyed a Higher Standard of Living from all that economic goodness headed their way.

China's Grand Poo-Bah just made himself Supreme Exalted Leader for Life.

The whole thing's been a Crock from the start.

Offline edpc

The whole thing's been a Crock from the start.

That was because Nixon was desperate to do something to get out of the Watergate shadow.  They still struggled for two decades.  Clinton’s sellout was the fatal blow.

• Wulf Anson Author
https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2016/08/04/china-drug-safety-fda-heparin/

Pharmaceutical and ingredients manufacturers in China and India have come under intense scrutiny in recent years due to a series of disturbing events. In 2008, for instance, 246 deaths in the United States were linked to a fake ingredient from China that was found in the blood thinner heparin. China is now the world’s largest supplier of active pharmaceutical ingredients.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
 :yawn2:

That will show us.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
What will we do without deadly Chinese drywall?
Countdown to Resignation

• Wulf Anson Author

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
What will we do without deadly Chinese drywall?

I still have a sheet of that drywall in my garage. It was so inexpensive.  Just needed a small piece.  So I guess I will have cheap chalk for the rest of my life.

:silly:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Concerned

"..... trade wars are good, and easy to win.”

President Donald J Trump
March 2, 2018
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline montanajoe

They don’t come up with a lot of the ideas, but they’re responsible for making most of it.

Exactly, most in the US have absolutely both how ruthless and how patient the Chinese are.

I worked for a high tech company back in the 80's that had a licensing agreement to build its product in Shanghai. I'd fly over every month and stay a week or two "supervising" our Chinese counterparts. It quickly became apparent to me that the their only interest in our company was to gain our expertise and they would never consider us a "partner" in the enterprise despite what  the contracts that had been signed said, their goal was simply to learn how we made what we made.

Of course, they didn't renew the license they continued to make what we made and the company I worked for failed.

The Chinese play the long game. They have built up an immense trade surplus with the US over the last generation. They will use the "American trade war" to weaken the most vulnerable US industries and likely, in the long run, destroy them.

American politicians play the wake up and see what can we can kick down the road today game. We have built up immense deficits over the last generation. Picking a fight that one cannot win in government, as well as in life, shows weakness and desperation.... :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Yeah. After having their Stooge running North Korea hurl missiles around worked out so well for them.

Go back after the Rest of the Federal Consumption tax (Corp Income) in this proposed 2nd round of tax cuts and the Trade War we unconditionally surrendered in already won't be a issue, because the Chi-Com Govt and Military will collapse.

Without our Money and our Markets, they starve.

Without their cheap goods we will have massive inflation. Trade is mutually beneficial. <That is a big NOPE>will never understand that.

And, you misspelled it.
- MOD1
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:26:58 pm by Mod1 »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Without their cheap goods we will have massive inflation.

That's not how inflation works.
China putting tariffs on food is a really bad idea. They stay on the cusp of a famine all the time.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

That's not how inflation works.  China putting tariffs on food is a really bad idea. They stay on the cusp of a famine all the time.

They chose some things like pork and fruit to go after red state support in the Midwest and South East.  Back when the tariffs were first announced, I said we'd know China was serious if they responded with their own in our agricultural sector.  The ones that would show they're really digging in would be a tariffs on chicken and soy.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
That's not how inflation works.
China putting tariffs on food is a really bad idea. They stay on the cusp of a famine all the time.

Oh really, are you an economist?

Offline Night Hides Not

"..... trade wars are good, and easy to win.”

President Donald J Trump
March 2, 2018

So sayeth the self-described "King of Debt".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

Exactly, most in the US have absolutely both how ruthless and how patient the Chinese are.

I worked for a high tech company back in the 80's that had a licensing agreement to build its product in Shanghai. I'd fly over every month and stay a week or two "supervising" our Chinese counterparts. It quickly became apparent to me that the their only interest in our company was to gain our expertise and they would never consider us a "partner" in the enterprise despite what  the contracts that had been signed said, their goal was simply to learn how we made what we made.

Of course, they didn't renew the license they continued to make what we made and the company I worked for failed.

The Chinese play the long game. They have built up an immense trade surplus with the US over the last generation. They will use the "American trade war" to weaken the most vulnerable US industries and likely, in the long run, destroy them.

American politicians play the wake up and see what can we can kick down the road today game. We have built up immense deficits over the last generation. Picking a fight that one cannot win in government, as well as in life, shows weakness and desperation.... :shrug:

I'm not a big fan of trade wars but I am pretty certain that our depending so heavily on Chinese production is generally a bad thing. If this results in our spreading around a few more of our mfg contracts to other countries who do not threaten us militarily it'll be positive in the long run.

Offline Victoria33

Without their cheap goods we will have massive inflation. Trade is mutually beneficial. Trumpnazees will never understand that.
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

When writing my book, I researched where our meds come from - have a whole chapter on meds and medical supplies and transfer of diseases.  You say we will have "massive inflation".  That is no big deal when considering millions of us die due to life saving medicine that would no longer come from China.  Occasionally, a CDC inspector goes there to check their process.  The operative word is "occasionally". No one is there all the time.  Even with our medicines made here, the individual components come from overseas and are put together here into capsules/pills.  Even our over the counter meds come from overseas.  I was shocked to see we are so dependent on meds/ingredents from other countries.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:17:18 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Suppressed

@thackney
Might want to x-post about oil pipe.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:40:22 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

When writing my book, I researched where our meds come from - have a whole chapter on meds and medical supplies and transfer of diseases.  You say we will have "massive inflation".  That is no big deal when considering millions of us die due to life saving medicine that would no longer come from China.  Occasionally, a CDC inspector goes there to check their process.  The operative word is "occasionally". No one is there all the time.  Even with our medicines made here, the individual components come from overseas and are put together here into capsules/pills.  Even our over the counter meds come from overseas.  I was shocked to see we are so dependent on meds/ingredents from other countries.
@Victoria33

Yup. The cartoon image I have in my mind is the prepper surrounded by crates of food and ammo, clutching his chest, and an empty pill bottle at his side.

Alas, I don't have the skill to sketch it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:22:12 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

@thackney
Might want to x-post about oil pipe.

Chinese tariffs, including oil pipe, go into effect
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Chinese-tariffs-including-oil-pipe-go-into-12798717.php

Chinese tariffs on $3 billion in U.S. goods went into effect Monday, the latest move in an escalating trade fight between Beijing and Washington.

The tariffs, which were initially announced two weeks ago, targeted 128 products and include a 15 percent tariff on the steel pipe used in building oil pipelines and commonly manufactured along the Texas Gulf Coast. A steeper 25 percent tariff was placed on U.S. goods including pork and aluminum scrap....

...Last year the United States exported 832,000 metric tons of steel pipe, according to the U.S. International Trade Administration. More than 80 percent of that pipe went to Canada and Mexico, with China coming in a distant third....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer