Author Topic: Diversity Task Force Chooses New Lyrics for Alma Mater (Harvard)  (Read 498 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Diversity Task force?  Wow.  They really are hitting the big issues on Harvard's campus.

By OLIVIA C. SCOTT, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER March 28, 2018
 Faust Speaks at Afternoon Exercises
University President Drew G. Faust speaks at Commencement in 2015. Faust said she is excited to sing the updated lyrics to Harvard's alma mater at this year's Commencement. GEORGE J LOK
Harvard announced an immediate revision to the last line of “Fair Harvard,” the University’s 181-year old alma mater, in a Harvard-wide task force report on diversity and inclusion released Tuesday morning.
The lyrics, which previously read “till the stock of the Puritans die,” will now read “till the stars in the firmament die.” “Fair Harvard,” written in 1836, has only been altered once before in its history. In 1998, the word “sons” was replaced with the word “we” to address concerns of gender inclusivity.

Last April, Danielle S. Allen, co-chair of the University task force on inclusion and belonging, announced Harvard would hold a competition to select new lyrics for the final line of the song.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/3/28/alma-mater-change-finalized/
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."