Author Topic: Opioids now kill more people than breast cancer  (Read 3051 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Opioids now kill more people than breast cancer
« on: March 31, 2018, 02:56:34 am »

Nadia Kounang, CNN   |  Thu December 21, 2017

More than 63,600 lives were lost to drug overdose in 2016, the most lethal year yet of the drug overdose epidemic, according to a new report from the National Center for Health Statistics, part of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Most of those deaths involved opioids, a family of painkillers including illicit heroin and fentanyl as well as legally prescribed medications such as oxycodone and hydrocodone. In 2016 alone, 42,249 US drug fatalities -- 66% of the total -- involved opioids, the report says. That's over a thousand more than the 41,070 Americans who die from breast cancer every year.

Much of the increase was driven by the rise in illicit synthetic opioids like fentanyl and tramadol. The rate of deadly overdoses from synthetic opioids other than methadone has skyrocketed an average of 88% each year since 2013; it more than doubled in 2016 to 19,413, from 9,580 in 2015.

Heroin also continues to be a problem, the report says. Since 2014, the rate of heroin overdose deaths has jumped an average of 19% each year.

The opioid crisis has raised significant awareness of prescription painkillers. Between 1999 and 2009, the rate of overdoses from such drugs rose 13% annually, but the increase has since slowed to 3% per year.

In 2009, prescription narcotics were involved in 26% of all fatal drug overdoses, while heroin was involved in 9% and synthetics were involved in just 8%. By comparison, in 2016, prescription drugs were involved in 23% of all deadly overdoses. But heroin is now implicated in about a quarter of all drug fatalities, and synthetic opioids play a role in nearly a third.

These increases have contributed to a shortening of the US life expectancy for a second year in a row.

snip

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/21/health/drug-overdoses-2016-final-numbers/index.html

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Re: Opioids now kill more people than breast cancer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 02:57:38 am »
More drug deaths each year, than not only breast cancer, but the entire Vietnam War (58 thousand).

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:01:48 am »
Fixing this by taking Opioids away from responsible patients who need them makes as much sense as grabbing all the guns because somebody shot up a school.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 04:11:36 pm »
bump

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »
Fixing this by taking Opioids away from responsible patients who need them makes as much sense as grabbing all the guns because somebody shot up a school.
@Cyber Liberty
Clearly there a couple of people here that have a real burr up their behinds and search out all of these articles. Illegal drugs have been killing lot's of Americans for a very long time, but right now the hot drug is Opioids and the only answer that can be seen is to restrict legal Opioids to everyone. As far as I'm concerned this whole stink is Trumps version of Clintons aspirin factories. Have you noticed how someone bumps their own thread to keep it at the top?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 09:49:37 pm »

So we are knocking down the cases of breast cancer related deaths. Awesome.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
Clearly there a couple of people here that have a real burr up their behinds and search out all of these articles. Illegal drugs have been killing lot's of Americans for a very long time, but right now the hot drug is Opioids and the only answer that can be seen is to restrict legal Opioids to everyone. As far as I'm concerned this whole stink is Trumps version of Clintons aspirin factories. Have you noticed how someone bumps their own thread to keep it at the top?
Most states and the FedGov have been clamping down on opioids, since well before Trump came along.

My sole purpose posting on the subject, is to convey information, and stimulate awareness.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:39:04 pm »

My sole purpose posting on the subject, is to convey information, and stimulate awareness.

So you don't think Trump and Sessions pimping this worthless issue is enough?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 11:38:22 pm »

Swell.  I'll tell my Mom, who's going to start dying in agony at the end of the year, that it's happening because everybody's awareness has been stimulated to the point brainless bureaucrats have decided she can't have painkillers.  She'll be happy to know she's doing her part to save the lives of the druggies living under the bridges.

Good work.

How about you spending just as much time seeing to it the brainless bureaucrats get the eff out of that space between patients and their Doctors?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:39:36 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 12:48:31 am »
Swell.  I'll tell my Mom, who's going to start dying in agony at the end of the year, that it's happening because everybody's awareness has been stimulated to the point brainless bureaucrats have decided she can't have painkillers.  She'll be happy to know she's doing her part to save the lives of the druggies living under the bridges.

Good work.

How about you spending just as much time seeing to it the brainless bureaucrats get the eff out of that space between patients and their Doctors? 

Maybe you should talk to mom's doctor about organizing a reply to this @Cyber Liberty

Alexander: Draft Legislation Would Require Dispensing Opioids in Short-Term Blister Packs, Help FDA Stop Illegal Fentanyl at Borders

Seeks input to improve legislation before Senate health committee markup of opioids bills at end of April

NASHVILLE, March 26, 2018 — Senate health committee Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) today released two discussion drafts of legislation to improve the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) ability to address the opioid crisis.

“The Senate health committee has held six bipartisan hearings so far this Congress on nearly every aspect of the opioids crisis, to inform legislation to better help states and communities on the front lines,” Alexander said. “I want to ensure that the Food and Drug Administration has every tool it needs to fight the opioid crisis, and the draft legislation released today will take the next step towards making that possible.”

Alexander continued: “The first proposal would require drug manufacturers to package certain opioids in a set dose, like a blister pack, which will make it simpler for doctors to write prescriptions for smaller numbers of opioids. It would also encourage manufacturers to provide a safe way to dispose of leftover opioids along with the prescription a patient picks up—to prevent unused opioids from ending up in the wrong hands.  A second proposal would ensure FDA can spend the $94 million included in the omnibus bill Congress passed last week to upgrade detection technology, laboratory capacity, and import facilities to better identify illegal drugs, including synthetic opioids such as fentanyl, at the border.”

Improving FDA authorities to address the opioid crisis

First, to help limit overprescribing, this legislation would give the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to require drug manufacturers to package certain opioids in blister packs, allowing for a set dose – for example, a 7 day supply.
•This would make it simpler for a doctor to write a prescription for a smaller number of opioids, (Can the doctors organize and define the parameters for writing a 30 day prescription with ___ #'s of renewals and present them as an alternate proposal? ) easier for pharmacists to fill, and will help to prevent overprescribing and diversion of unused medicine, for example, preventing unused medicines from being sold or abused.

Second, to prevent unneeded or unused opioids from falling into the wrong hands, this legislation would encourage manufactures to provide a safe way to dispose the leftover drugs along with the packaging.
•If a mom receives a 30 day opioid supply after knee surgery, but only takes 15 days’ worth, this would make it easier for her to safely dispose of the unneeded opioids to prevent her child from finding them and using the remaining opioids. 

Text of the discussion draft is available here.

Improve coordination between the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Customs Border Protection (CBP)

To improve ability to find and seize illegal drugs, such as fentanyl, at the border, this legislation would:
•Ensure FDA and CBP detection technology and testing equipment used at the border is interoperable and allows near-real-time data sharing for faster and smarter detection of new substances coming across the border, such as synthetic fentanyl.
•Make available additional trained canine units, including trained canine officers, are available at import facilities to increase detection and screening capabilities.
•Upgrade FDA facilities and provide appropriate equipment, laboratory capacity, and physical infrastructure improvements, which may include security upgrades, to improve capacity to examine and detect illegal opioids at import sites, such as International Mail Facilities.
•Require a progress report within six months on the implementation of these new authorities, including progress made towards near-real-time information sharing and the interoperability of technology used at the import sites.

Text of the discussion draft is available here.

The Senate health committee has held a series of six bipartisan hearing so far this Congress to examine ways the federal government can be a better partner for states on the front lines of the opioid crisis.

On October 5, 2017, the Senate health committee held the first hearing of the series which focused on the federal response to the opioid crisis, and on November 30, 2017, the committee heard from witnesses representing states, communities, and providers on what they are doing and what, if any, new authorities they need from the federal government to fight the crisis. On January 9, 2018, the committee heard from author Sam Quinones, who has extensively researched and written about the opioid crisis. On February 8, 2018, the committee held a hearing to look the effects the opioid crisis has on children and families. On February 27, 2018, the committee held a hearing on the role technology and data play in responding to the crisis. On March 8, the committee heard from some of the nation’s governors about how they are coming up with innovative solutions and leading the fight against the unique problems their states face in the midst of the opioid crisis.

###

Press Contact

Taylor Haulsee: 202-224-8816

https://www.help.senate.gov/chair/newsroom/press/alexander-draft-legislation-would-require-dispensing-opioids-in-short-term-blister-packs-help-fda-stop-illegal-fentanyl-at-borders_

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 01:07:26 am »
@Cyber Liberty

This is coming out to try to condition people to accept the new rule Trump is having Medicare do this coming Tuesday - that you can't get more than 7 days of pain med, like Vicodin (generic hydrocodone), Fentanyl patches, etc., from your doctor starting January 1, 2019.  Trump can claim "winning" when prescriptions drop dramatically then.  I have said the suicide rate will go up when that happens.  The older people population will go down due to suicides because they can't stand the pain.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 01:10:21 am »
Most states and the FedGov have been clamping down on opioids, since well before Trump came along.

Ah, but it became an epidemic we just had to jump on and screw with patients with Trump.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 01:14:25 am »
Maybe you should talk to mom's doctor about organizing a reply to this @Cyber Liberty

I don't talk to Mom's doctor.  I don't get between her and her Doctor.

I took the time to read all that, and, like any Lamar Alexander work product, it's crap that doesn't address the "problem," but instead continues to place burdens on patients, Doctors and manufacturers.  It doesn't address chronic pain sufferers, it still assumes everybody on Opioids are on them short term.

Why isn't getting government the eff out of the Doctor-Patient relationship the go-to solution?  Do you understand that dispensing painkillers in one-week quantities is unacceptable, no matter how you wrap the package?
I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 01:16:43 am »
@Cyber Liberty

This is coming out to try to condition people to accept the new rule Trump is having Medicare do this coming Tuesday - that you can't get more than 7 days of pain med, like Vicodin (generic hydrocodone), Fentanyl patches, etc., from your doctor starting January 1, 2019.  Trump can claim "winning" when prescriptions drop dramatically then.  I have said the suicide rate will go up when that happens.  The older people population will go down due to suicides because they can't stand the pain.
@Victoria
Note how once I mentioned a certain name the defense team made an appearance. There is no agenda here, oh no it's all about promoting discussion.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 01:23:53 am »
@Cyber Liberty

There's a good article in this month's Reason magazine about this.  It's a pity the ones who think that Trump's bureaucrats are doing a bang-up job on this (and every conceivable thing) would never think of reading it.  There's a whole section about people giving up and simply killing themselves.

Since they, themselves, think going to the drugstore every week and a Doctor every month is no big deal, then it's obviously not a big deal for anybody else, so suck it up, buttercup.  I'll bet they sit around calling us selfish.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 01:25:42 am »
So you don't think Trump and Sessions pimping this worthless issue is enough?

It is not a worthless issue.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 01:28:31 am »
It is not a worthless issue.

The proposed "solutions" are worse than useless, they are harmful.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 01:32:05 am »

Good work.

Here is a current 2018 draft of what Arizona interests are doing:

http://azdhs.gov/documents/audiences/clinicians/clinical-guidelines-recommendations/prescribing-guidelines/az-opioid-prescribing-guidelines.pdf

BTW my MIL died last May at 90, and my own mother is on home-hospice at age 93.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 02:05:21 am »
Here is a current 2018 draft of what Arizona interests are doing:

http://azdhs.gov/documents/audiences/clinicians/clinical-guidelines-recommendations/prescribing-guidelines/az-opioid-prescribing-guidelines.pdf

BTW my MIL died last May at 90, and my own mother is on home-hospice at age 93.

My condolences for your MIL.  I hope your Mom doesn't have to live in excruciating pain. 

So, you posted voluntary guidelines in my state.  I'm moved you would research that for me.  Do you have a point, or am I supposed to sift through that?

Sift I will.  Here's a bullet point I got from the Executive Summary:

"Do not initiate long-term opioid therapy for most patients with chronic pain."

The highlighted word recognizes one size does not fit all.  Generally, geriatric patients are given a wide latitude for pain treatment because they're regarded as almost terminal, especially over 90.  Fear of becoming addicted is rather silly.  I think the government would love to just give these old unproductive farts a push over the cliff.

What we are seeing in proposed regulations is "screw them, we have drug addicted younger people to worry about."  Frankly, if I were a really cynical person (instead of just being a mild cynic), I'd think they were just trying to eliminate the problem people.  Very French Revolution thinking.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:05:54 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 02:18:48 am »
Very informative presentation from Texas.

(TBR has over 2,000 members and if any of this stuff on opioids saves or helps a single soul, it is worth it, ergo NOT worthless)

None of what I have been posting is aimed towards elderly pain-suffering people.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/85R/handouts/C2102017082210001/cc0a3434-293c-4456-b103-77d96efdd7f9.PDF

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 02:38:47 am »

(TBR has over 2,000 members and if any of this stuff on opioids saves or helps a single soul, it is worth it, ergo NOT worthless)

None of what I have been posting is aimed towards elderly pain-suffering people.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/85R/handouts/C2102017082210001/cc0a3434-293c-4456-b103-77d96efdd7f9.PDF

I appreciate that clarification.  Then let us agree the Trump is doing a very bad thing by cutting off the pain meds to all Medicare patients starting January1.  That is a dagger pointed straight at the hearts of elderly pain-suffering people, apparently with the intention of getting the drugs away from people abusing them. 

There are non-elderly patients in the same boat, facing the same dagger.

I shall repeat a post from earlier here: Fixing this by taking Opioids away from responsible patients who need them makes as much sense as grabbing all the guns because somebody shot up a school.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 03:06:01 am »
I appreciate that clarification.  Then let us agree the Trump is doing a very bad thing by cutting off the pain meds to all Medicare patients starting January1.  That is a dagger pointed straight at the hearts of elderly pain-suffering people, apparently with the intention of getting the drugs away from people abusing them. 

There are non-elderly patients in the same boat, facing the same dagger.

I shall repeat a post from earlier here: Fixing this by taking Opioids away from responsible patients who need them makes as much sense as grabbing all the guns because somebody shot up a school.

All of the concern predates Trump/Sessions

1. Limiting is NOT "cutting off"

2. About half of the states have already imposed limits like or more restrictive than the proposed federal limits (3-7 days).

"The bill would aggressively limit doctors’ ability to hand out lengthy opioids prescriptions, exempting only cancer, chronic pain, and hospice treatment from the three-day initial prescription limits. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new prescription guidelines in 2016 that indicate three-day prescriptions are typically sufficient and seven-day prescriptions are rarely necessary. A number of states have already enacted laws limiting first-time opioid prescriptions to three, five, or seven days."

https://www.statnews.com/2018/02/27/cara-opioid-crisis-bill/

Online GtHawk

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 03:44:03 am »

2. About half of the states have already imposed limits like or more restrictive than the proposed federal limits (3-7 days).

"The bill would aggressively limit doctors’ ability to hand out lengthy opioids prescriptions, exempting only cancer, chronic pain, and hospice treatment from the three-day initial prescription limits. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new prescription guidelines in 2016 that indicate three-day prescriptions are typically sufficient and seven-day prescriptions are rarely necessary. A number of states have already enacted laws limiting first-time opioid prescriptions to three, five, or seven days."

When the government says it's here to help you..........................run. Remember how well prohibition worked out with alcohol, the war on tobacco through tax increase, gun control, health care, if there is one thing the government has proven time after time is that they are in the business of control not governing, and they are inept. Too many deaths from opioids now? Just wait until the government Juggernaut of incompetence gets rolling and the illegal trafficking explodes, it will make prohibition look like small potatoes.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 03:56:12 am »
@truth_seeker

That link is material from Memorial Hermann Hospital and they copied it from the CDC.  Each page has CDC on it.  The stats presented were not done by the Texas Government - was done by CDC.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 03:58:10 am »

Perhaps you missed the story in TBR a day or two ago about the Medicare regulation that is being passed this week, that states Medicare will not be insuring Opioids for anybody at all, regardless of the status of prescriptions.  Since you are uninterested in that, and only want to beat the Trump tom-tom, then I am finished with this thread.  Bye.  There is nothing further I have to add to this.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:01:11 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.