Author Topic: What does Conservative mean to you and how does trump and the curent people treat you  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Stevensr123

I know

1. I'm drunk
2. A Pom aka a  prisoner of mother England
3. More of a conservative of maybe a different breed

But in terms of my own knowledge, what do conservative people on this site feel about trump?
And the republican part?

Basically for my own self knowledge and I hope I don't get too much crap haha just wonder what you feel

Not to be be a bleep I  feel he is letting people down but it was obvious he was going to , just crap it came to him and that bitch who I will not name
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:23:46 am by Stevensr123 »

Offline Stevensr123

My first thread   ends in failure   :silly: tough crowd but I'm loving everyone
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:34:03 am by Stevensr123 »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I think Conservative has a very different meaning in the US as compared to the rest of the world.

Our nation was based on a pact which gave the national government a limited set of powers, and ONLY those powers.  To me, being a Conservative is being one who holds to that mentality, even if that means my pet project doesn't get funded using everyone else's money.

IMO, Trump is not a Conservative, but then neither are most of the ~40% of our population who claim to be as well.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline DB

"Conservative" means being a proponent restraining government to its constitutional bounds. That government isn't the answer to most problems. That the government serves its citizens, not the other way around. It isn't government's job to provide welfare or social justice (equal outcomes). That the states reign supreme outside those things enumerated by the constitution as being the federal governments domain. That the government isn't above the law and can't pick and chose which laws it wants to enforce.

That seems like a good start as to the definition of "Conservative".

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Most Americans cannot even agree on what the definition of liberty is, much less 'Conservative'.

The meaning of 'Conservative' has been hijacked by big government populists supporting Trump and Establishment Republicans, similar to the way the meaning of 'gay' was hijacked by homosexuals. The word will now mean something completely different than it once did even as short as a decade ago. 

Because we have abandoned or thrown out biblical morality in our culture, it is no surprise to me that we can no longer agree on the definition.  We no longer recognize what is right and wrong, good or evil, male or female in this society.   We no longer agree that our Rights are from God and absolute.  We no longer agree on the concept of limited government and ordered liberty on a foundational construct of biblical morality.  We no longer agree on the definition, or the derivatives of what liberty itself was supposed to mean and why the term 'Conservative' was to embody those principles and the ethos that preserved it.

Conservatism is being redefined and recoded into a wholly different political morality and reality.   A reality that is just as antithetical and anathema of liberty itself as Communism and Marxism are.

And Trump, his party and his hordes of True Believers may have ended it as a political movement for all time.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

Conservative means to me John Barrymore coming down a sweeping staircase in a ball gown singing the aria from La Boheme.

Online libertybele

Conservatism in a broad generalization is holding the morals and Christian principles upon which this country was founded and for which many patriots sacrificed and died for and adhering to the Constitution.

As for the Trumpsters in here; well, I don't like to point fingers, so I'd say for the most part it's either their way or the highway and most of them will not admit that he has committed any wrongdoing.  Who cares if Trump shoots someone on 5th Avenue or that Ted Cruz's father murdered Kennedy, offered amnesty to illegals or signed a massive omnibus bill? That about sums it up.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
My first thread   ends in failure   :silly: tough crowd but I'm loving everyone

Well, assuming you're somewhat sober this morning, how about editing the title of the thread for spelling, capitalization, etc.?   ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Well, assuming you're somewhat sober this morning, how about editing the title of the thread for spelling, capitalization, etc.?   ^-^

And he might want to move this to General Discussion, where it belongs.

Offline MOD3

Threads that do not cite a published article but are the poster's own thoughts can go in the Exclusive Content category. This thread is being moved.

Online The_Reader_David

To be a conservative is to want to conserve, to hang onto, the patrimony, cultural, political, social, religious,... of one's civilization, and to view proposals for change skeptically, measuring them against that patrimony.

In the American (and British) context, this means as a practical matter, hanging onto the patrimony of Western Civilization (or Christendom, if you will), up to and including the Anglo-Scottish Enlightenment, of which the American Founding was the beneficiary, while resisting Jacobinism and all the baleful enthusiasms of the Continental "Enlightenment" that have generally borne the name "left", which seek to tear down that patrimony on behalf of some vision of a shining new future.  The political tradition of conservatism has many notable figures on both sides of the Atlantic -- before the American Founders, there was John Locke, contemporaneous with the American Founding, Edmund Burke upheld the same tradition in your country, as, later, did Lord Acton, more recently Russell Kirk and William F. Buckley, Jr. upheld it here in the States.  I think the more intellectually astute of your "Brexiteers" (Jacob Rees-Mogg comes to mind) stand firmly within the conservative tradition as it is found in the Anglosphere.

A conservative anywhere in the erstwhile Christendom (or former colonies of European Christian powers that embraced their culture) will have a sense of the imperfectiblity of Man, rooted in the doctrine of the Fall and the Church's rejection of Pelagianism, and thus, unless he still hangs onto the idea of the divine right of kings and expects an annointed Christian king to have some special grace to govern well, historical experience notwithstanding, will be skeptical of all concentrations of power (or at least of secular power).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
You know I'm a lot less concerned about trump and such - and more interested in the midterm elections - and how some conservatives are not very informed...
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw