Author Topic: Corned Beef  (Read 2064 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Corned Beef
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:42:20 pm »
12 cups water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp black peppercorns
1 Tbsp whole allspice
2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half
1 Tbsp whole cloves
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
1 Tbsp whole coriander seeds
1/2 to 1 whole head of garlic (depending on taste), cloves separated and crushed, no need to peel
1 ounce sodium nitrate if you care about the meat staying pink. I omit.

Mix all ingredients together until salt and sugar is dissolved.  Submerge meat completely.  Brisket is brined 3 to 4 weeks for full flavor.   ***Make sure the meat stays completely submerged***

***You have to brine in a non-reactive container; so big ziploc bag, stainless pot, enamel pot, glass bowl.  I use a huge enamel stock pot.***

The brine is pretty salty, so I like to boil in plain until tender once it's done brining, but it is also very good in the pressure cooker, oven or on the grill.  Smoke the meat and it is pastrami.

If cooking on the grill you've got to cook low and slow (about 225*F) until you can insert a knife and it feel like you're cutting into softened butter, usually to an internal temp of 190*F.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:09:19 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Corned Beef
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:46:58 pm »
That recipe looks like a pain in the ass. Mine is far more simpler and the meat is perfect for a Ruben.....

1) Take number
2) Wait a few minutes till number called
3) Tell guy how much and how thin you want the Corned Beef cut
4) Pay for meat
5) Eat

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:49:54 pm »
That recipe looks like a pain in the ass. Mine is far more simpler and the meat is perfect for a Ruben.....

1) Take number
2) Wait a few minutes till number called
3) Tell guy how much and how thin you want the Corned Beef cut
4) Pay for meat
5) Eat

It is a pain in the ass, but if you ever tasted it you would wonder why you ever waited in the line for the shit from the store.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:53:08 pm »
@RoosGirl
Thanks for the recipe. 

How big is the brisket that you can submerge in your mixture?  (Saint Patrick would surely want to know, since he practiced baptism by immersion.) 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:08:44 pm »
@RoosGirl
Thanks for the recipe. 

How big is the brisket that you can submerge in your mixture?  (Saint Patrick would surely want to know, since he practiced baptism by immersion.)

Usually what I do is buy a whole, untrimmed brisket which includes the flat and the point.  They usually weigh about 12 - 14 lbs. whole.  I trim the top fat to about 1" thick and then I cut the whole thing in half so that it's about equal weight on both halves.  There's a big fat cap on the outside of a whole brisket and there's a big fat layer between the flat and the point of the brisket, but they are easy to trim away.  I brine one half to make the corned beef and the other I slow cook as a plain brisket on the grill.  So, I brine about 7 lbs at a time.  You can add up to 6 more cups of water to the above recipe.

I should add, and I will add above, you have to brine in a non-reactive container; so big ziploc bag, stainless pot, enamel pot, glass bowl.  I use a huge enamel stock pot.