Author Topic: The Revolver: Unappreciated Advantages  (Read 2360 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Revolver: Unappreciated Advantages
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:22:32 pm »
Personal Defense Network By Grant Cunningham

HOW I LEARNED TO LOVE THE WHEELGUN

I’m sure you’ve heard it before: someone asks, “Which is better: revolver or autoloader?” Everyone chimes in that revolvers are more reliable and simpler to operate. Over and over again. Yadda yadda yadda.

Those things are generally true, but there are some less obvious and perhaps even more compelling advantages to selecting a revolver as your concealed handgun for personal defense. They include:

Malfunctions: almost non-existent
    Practice: operates without ammunition, making dry fire useful
    Concealed carry: easier to conceal and more stable to carry on your body
    Economical: lower initial cost plus no cost for magazines
    Tactical: resistant to induced failures

Intrigued? Read on for the details of these factors that you may not have considered, and perhaps not even known, about “those old-fashioned things at the back of the showcase.”

MALFUNCTIONS

Let’s start with the learning curve. Yes, a revolver is simple to operate, in the sense that there are no controls that must be manipulated in order to fire it. What’s not obvious is the advantage in training to operate the gun to its maximum efficiency.

If you’re shooting an autoloader, it’s in your best interest to practice malfunction drills on a regular basis. Learning to identify and clear the most common jams takes time, both in initial training and regular practice. That’s time you’re not spending learning to actually deal with the dynamics of a critical incident, which is what’s going to keep you safe.

Training in malfunction clearing with a self defense revolver is nearly non-existent. There’s really only one common jam that will tie up a revolver, the dreaded case under extractor, and it is completely preventable by learning proper reloading technique, which you need to learn anyhow. Any of the uncommon malfunctions can be prevented through normal maintenance and using quality ammunition.

More: https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/the-revolver-unappreciated-advantages/

Offline thackney

Re: The Revolver: Unappreciated Advantages
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:34:59 pm »
With an auto, the part that sticks out is the squared-off butt of the frame. No matter how thin the gun is, you still have that bottom corner poking through your cover garment. It’s hard to hide because it’s not organic; we don’t normally see right angles protruding from beneath clothing.

The grip of the revolver, on the other hand, is rounded.

This claim is going to be selective to models, not a real comparison of revolver versus semi-auto.

There are certainly real reasons to choose a revolver.  But I carry a semi-auto, with rounded edges designed for conceal carry. 

Ruger LC9s

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:31 pm »
My wife and I both have a revolver in our collection.  She got hers because she was having difficulty working the slide on my 1911.

I got my .38 in part just to have one and also to use it as my carry gun in the summer time.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 08:33:00 pm »
My wife and I both have a revolver in our collection.  She got hers because she was having difficulty working the slide on my 1911.

I got my .38 in part just to have one and also to use it as my carry gun in the summer time.

:thumbsup:
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 08:40:05 pm »
I am going back to .45Colt. Got my eye peeled for a pair of them.
I will probably keep the 1911 around just for giggles, but I have run a colt 45 my whole life, and I just can't get used to that 1911. Muscle memory is hard to beat.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 08:55:24 pm »
When I'm out of the rat race of the city, my handgun has always been my 45Colt Blackhawk. In town I'm partial to my Chief's Special with a 3in. bbl.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:14:34 pm »
My only handguns are revolvers.
Both are Rugers.
A 22 long/22 mag with interchangeable cylinders.
A 38 special/.357 magnum.
Long barreled, single acting.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 09:42:11 pm »
I have more semi autos now, but I started out with revolvers. And that's what I'm partial to. I even have a few single shots, one a Colt 3rd Model Thuer Derringer.

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:04:51 am »
I'm compelled to mention that a short barrelled (<3 in) revolver is the worst gun to teach or recommend to a new person, especially a woman.  Lot's of folks (especially ladies) show up at the range with (often pink gripped) 38 snubbies recommended by the hubby/boyfriend/father, shoot 'em twice and you never see them again.  Too snappy.  They really are for more experienced shooters.

We usually end up letting them shoot the bull barrelled Buckmark - a crowd favorite and a true tack driver.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:06:40 am by Meldrew »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:13:40 pm »
With reloading, you can download revolvers to a pipsqueak level. I had 38 loads that would bounce off of age hardened lumber. Much cheaper casting your own bullets for your sub level reloads. I was reloading 38 Specials for cheaper than .22s. And with a revolver, you don't need dummy rounds for a ball and dummy drill.