Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsburg turns 85, with no signs she'll retire  (Read 834 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Ruth Bader Ginsburg turns 85, with no signs she'll retire
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:30:41 am »

Washington Examiner
by Melissa Quinn
March 15, 2018 12:01 AM

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg celebrates her 85th birthday Thursday, a milestone that is sure to reignite speculation over whether she will retire from the high court.

Ginsburg was nominated to the Supreme Court by President Bill Clinton and celebrated her 25th year on the high court last month. The leader of the liberal wing of the bench, Ginsburg is frequently the subject of retirement rumors, along with Justice Anthony Kennedy, who turns 82 this summer.

But while Republicans and President Trump are hoping Ginsburg steps down — setting Trump up to fill a second vacancy on the bench—Ginsburg has indicated she has no plans to hang up her robe.

“As long as I can do the job full steam, I will be here,” Ginsburg told a full house at Adas Israel Congregation during an event last month.

(more)
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/ruth-bader-ginsburg-85-and-no-signs-shell-retire-from-supreme-court
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg turns 85, with no signs she'll retire
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:28:52 pm »
“As long as I can do the job full steam, I will be here,” Ginsburg told a full house at Adas Israel Congregation during an event last month.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 12:30:07 pm »
No signs she'll retire? There are hardly any signs of life!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 12:35:59 pm »
No signs she'll retire? There are hardly any signs of life!

Brain dead is SOP for liberals.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:36:22 pm »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 12:48:17 pm »
She can't retire, she'd never get any sleep.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:49:56 pm »
Just more proof that for these people its about their ego and not serving their country.    A person with integrity would realize that at 85 they are no longer able to give what the job requires.  Whether its a Congressman or SC justice.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:54:30 pm »
They happened to be Funny once, even though it is SNL

! No longer available
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 01:48:27 pm »
I doubt these justices really work all that hard.  They hear the oral arguments (or don't if they aren't interested enough).  They have a staff of law clerks to do all the research.  Those clerks might even write the first draft or 2 or more of the opinion.  So how much work to the justices actually put into the cases before them? Seems to me they spend more time writing books, maybe giving interviews and speeches. 

Sounds to me like easy work with great pay and benefits.  And they get to play god.  No way do they want to give that job up. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 02:17:46 pm »

Now all she needs is for someone to light the boilers.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:18:37 pm by skeeter »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 02:20:23 pm »
I doubt these justices really work all that hard.  They hear the oral arguments (or don't if they aren't interested enough).  They have a staff of law clerks to do all the research.  Those clerks might even write the first draft or 2 or more of the opinion.  So how much work to the justices actually put into the cases before them? Seems to me they spend more time writing books, maybe giving interviews and speeches. 

Sounds to me like easy work with great pay and benefits.  And they get to play god.  No way do they want to give that job up.

@Applewood

"Job"??   "JOB"???

...weird reading that word when applied to a SC justice.   :laugh:    It's an 'ADVENTURE'!

I realize your "job" context meant 'gig'....but as a lifetime self-employed man, reading it  compelled me to respond.

More a 'position', IMO.   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 03:15:19 pm »
@Applewood

"Job"??   "JOB"???

...weird reading that word when applied to a SC justice.   :laugh:    It's an 'ADVENTURE'!

I realize your "job" context meant 'gig'....but as a lifetime self-employed man, reading it  compelled me to respond.

More a 'position', IMO.   :laugh:

Yeah.  You're right.  And that was my point. Unlike the rest of us working stiffs (or in my case, former working stiff), these judges don't really work all that hard.   But they are well compensated for sitting around in their robes all day looking godly while the real work is done by staffers.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 03:55:20 pm »
Now all she needs is for someone to light the boilers.

Lace her then Hot foot her ass.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 03:33:35 am »
All those naps keep her sharp.  *****rollingeyes*****
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 03:58:36 am »
Yeah.  You're right.  And that was my point. Unlike the rest of us working stiffs (or in my case, former working stiff), these judges don't really work all that hard.   But they are well compensated for sitting around in their robes all day looking godly while the real work is done by staffers.

Hey, @Applewood!  I don't know what you did for a living, but I thought there was a common perception that people who work at "desk jobs" generally just don't work as hard.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 02:20:38 pm »
Hey, @Applewood!  I don't know what you did for a living, but I thought there was a common perception that people who work at "desk jobs" generally just don't work as hard.

Yes.  I was a legal secretary for 35 years.  Got that line all the time.  That one -- and "boy, you must be raking in the dough."  Uh, no.  It was a decent salary, but I wasn't exactly rich. 

Not that I'm complaining.  It was interesting and challenging work.   And it allowed me to afford my modest home in my hometown.

But even though it generally didn't require any physical labor, it was taxing mentally.   Put in a lot of hours, especially when a case was going to trial.    I didn't have a staff to do most of the work for me.  I was the staff. 

And I didn't get to wear official looking robes and play god.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »
Yes.  I was a legal secretary for 35 years.  Got that line all the time.  That one -- and "boy, you must be raking in the dough."  Uh, no.  It was a decent salary, but I wasn't exactly rich. 

Not that I'm complaining.  It was interesting and challenging work.   And it allowed me to afford my modest home in my hometown.

But even though it generally didn't require any physical labor, it was taxing mentally.   Put in a lot of hours, especially when a case was going to trial.    I didn't have a staff to do most of the work for me.  I was the staff. 

And I didn't get to wear official looking robes and play god.

@Applewood Sorry I didn't respond sooner -- I agree that desk work is taxing.  And often it doesn't end once you go home.  Wow, did you all practice all kinds of law?   And BTW, I meant to send you condolences on the passing of Snowball.  I hope you're doing ok with it.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.