Author Topic: $2.3 billion goof: New commuter trains too wide for tunnels  (Read 664 times)

rangerrebew

WND
$2.3 billion goof: New commuter trains too wide for tunnels
Government solution – relax safety standards
Published: 12 hours ago

No one disputes this Australian state’s need to upgrade its rail-transit fleet after 40 years of service.

The New South Wales regional train system in and around Sydney operates with a variety of trains, the oldest rolling stock – called V-sets – and newer XPT longer-distance carriers. After four decades, purchasing 512 new carriages at a cost of $2.3 billion had become a necessity. And with the purchase, commuters can look forward to mobile-phone charging stations, accessible toilets and more space for bike racks and luggage.

All good … except for one rather major problem.

The new trains are too wide for existing tunnels, reports News.com.au.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2018/03/2-3-billion-goof-new-commuter-trains-too-wide-for-tunnels/#1iy56L1gR0g9uxCM.99

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: $2.3 billion goof: New commuter trains too wide for tunnels
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:54:24 pm »
 :facepalm2:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 02:02:40 am »
This isn't the first time this has happened.  I wish I could remember the other instance!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 05:16:49 am »
When a size W shoe was bought instead of an N.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:29:51 am »
France 2014: Trains too wide for platform
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27497727
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 10:41:39 pm »
"This isn't the first time this has happened.  I wish I could remember the other instance!"

When the Acela trainsets were originally delivered to Amtrak back around 2000, they were just a bit "too wide" to be allowed to run at "full tilt" (the cars of the trainsets tilt into curves as they go around them at speed).

Originally, tilting was cut out from the east end of the East River tunnels in New York to the west entrance of the Hudson River Tunnels in New Jersey.

Also, the tilting feature had to be cut out prior to entering Metro-North territory (New Rochelle NY to New Haven), again because of concerns for clearances between passing trains on curves.

I believe that all this got rectified in time, not sure exactly what they did. Might have required changes in curve alignments, or perhaps changes to the train's operating software...