Author Topic: Was Russia The Reason For Rexit?  (Read 448 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Was Russia The Reason For Rexit?
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:36:23 pm »
By Patterico
https://www.redstate.com/patterico/2018/03/13/russia-reason-rexit/

. . . [P]erhaps Rex Tillerson’s aggressive response to Russia’s attempted assassination of Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia was the last straw for our Putin-loving President.

. . . Skripal, recall, was a double agent who betrayed Russia, was convicted of treason, and was traded as part of a swap of traitors. He had been poisoned with a nerve agent that very few possess. Putin is among that very few, and the use of the agent is Putin sending the message that, while he will publicly deny it, he is the one behind the attack.

[British Prime Minister] Theresa May has said it is “highly likely” Russia was behind the attack . . . For the most part, the Trump administration has been curiously silent about responsibility for the attack. Just yesterday, Sarah Sanders refused to go as far as Prime Minister May, and reporters noticed . . .

. . . Note that I said that the Trump administration had been silent about responsibility “for the most part.” Guess who wasn’t silent at all? If you said Rex Tillerson, you get the kewpie doll. Yup: Tillerson, uniquely among Trump administration officials, had already placed the blame squarely on Moscow . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Was Russia The Reason For Rexit?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »
5 times Tillerson publicly disagreed with Trump
https://www.ajc.com/news/national-govt--politics/times-tillerson-publicly-disagreed-with-trump/ICHby6sVOMX4fZ97j0z5MI/

Tillerson reportedly called Trump a 'moron.' Months later, he's out
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/03/13/tillerson-reportedly-called-trump-moron-months-later-hes-out/419673002/

Or any other number of things; of course, Red State Never Trumper media have to try to make the most out of this.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 04:59:42 pm »
We defended ourselves against an attack by Russian mercenaries just weeks ago, the death toll could have been as high as 200 to 300 Russians, we also launched an airstrike against Syria, Russia's ally and many do not agree with that but I doubt that makes them pro-Putin. One would have to separate all of the statements issued but I find the author's comments likely off-the-mark.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:12:25 pm »
Or any other number of things; of course, Red State Never Trumper media have to try to make the most out of this.
You note the writer said "last straw" regarding Tillerson's reaction to the Skripal assassination attempt. If this guy was that much of a pain in Donaldus Minimus's
rump roast, why wait this long? Why wait until a public disagreement involving a Russian assassination attempt that was also called out publicly by the British
prime minister? Why not ease Tillerson out and Pompeo in far sooner, it's not like this is the first time a secretary of state has disagreed publicly with a president,
and I'm pretty sure past secretaries of state who referred to their presidents as morons wouldn't have lasted more than a week after making such comments.

(By the way, you might care to look a little deeper. RedState is very evenly balanced between pro- and con-Trump writers. Of course, there are some people who
think a very even balance between pro- and con- equals pure con- regardless, since any deviance from the writ of the Master is equal to pure, uninterrupted
opposition.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:13:22 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:34:43 pm »
For the record, Tillerson's ties to Putin were also questioned:

https://www.themaven.net/theresurgent/erick-erickson/trump-firing-tillerson-makes-the-president-look-like-putin-s-minion-649r2neDakqeUP5K0fS7mA

This photo apparently from Erickson's "The Resurgent", so perhaps they were trying to dish mud on Rex at the time.

Business Insider, Pelosi and Red State may all be running with the narrative, Rex said this yesterday about Russia, fired today. That is a valid concern.

However, this timeline may be wrong if Tillerson was asked to submit his resignation 5 days ago. So, then, we need to see which version of facts are correct.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 05:36:22 pm »
You note the writer said "last straw" regarding Tillerson's reaction to the Skripal assassination attempt. If this guy was that much of a pain in Donaldus Minimus's
rump roast, why wait this long? Why wait until a public disagreement involving a Russian assassination attempt that was also called out publicly by the British
prime minister? Why not ease Tillerson out and Pompeo in far sooner, it's not like this is the first time a secretary of state has disagreed publicly with a president,
and I'm pretty sure past secretaries of state who referred to their presidents as morons wouldn't have lasted more than a week after making such comments.

(By the way, you might care to look a little deeper. RedState is very evenly balanced between pro- and con-Trump writers. Of course, there are some people who
think a very even balance between pro- and con- equals pure con- regardless, since any deviance from the writ of the Master is equal to pure, uninterrupted
opposition.)

If Red State is so balanced, no pro-Trump article I have seen has ever been posted on this forum.

Now, to other things, the whole timeline now is in question if Rex was told to resign last week.  Now, it's not "Rex says this Monday, fired on Tuesday". But we will see if anything confirms he was asked to step down.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
He wasn't being very diplomatic by calling his boss a "moron."

This thread will keep TBR #nevertrump occupied for the entire day, in yet another Insultathon.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »
He wasn't being very diplomatic by calling his boss a "moron."
Certainly not. Even if your boss is a moron, it's not the brightest thing to do so publicly. (I've had a moron or two for a
boss in my life but never said so publicly. I once told one such boss to his face I thought he was being a moron, and
while he wasn't exactly thrilled over it I think the fact that I said it to his face kept my head out of the guillotine . . . at least
for another year or so.)

And if that incident happened several weeks ago, why not dump him then, when Tillerson did call his boss a moron pub-
licly? Even someone who thinks Donaldus Minimus might be a moron would say D.M. was well within his right to dump Tillerson
right then and there, or at least within a week. And D.M. could have named Pompeo to succeed Tillerson then, whatever you
do or don't think of Pompeo, if that's who he had in mind as a successor should Tillerson falter.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:37 pm »
Certainly not. Even if your boss is a moron, it's not the brightest thing to do so publicly. (I've had a moron or two for a
boss in my life but never said so publicly. I once told one such boss to his face I thought he was being a moron, and
while he wasn't exactly thrilled over it I think the fact that I said it to his face kept my head out of the guillotine . . . at least
for another year or so.)

And if that incident happened several weeks ago, why not dump him then, when Tillerson did call his boss a moron pub-
licly? Even someone who thinks Donaldus Minimus might be a moron would say D.M. was well within his right to dump Tillerson
right then and there, or at least within a week. And D.M. could have named Pompeo to succeed Tillerson then, whatever you
do or don't think of Pompeo, if that's who he had in mind as a successor should Tillerson falter.

So, Trump doesn’t do things as you think he should? Fascinating.

Offline anubias

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:37 pm »
Gotta love NTs in the media.  When Trump picked Tillerson, it was a pick for Putin due to Tillerson’s dealing with them at Exxon.  Now that he’s out, it’s for Putin.  Truth matters not to NTs.  It’s BS all the time.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 07:01:11 pm »
So, Trump doesn’t do things as you think he should? Fascinating.
If I had a subordinate who called me a moron publicly (as opposed to saying it to my face), wouldn't you think I was showing
weakness if I didn't can him promptly enough?

I find it very hard to believe D.M. didn't fire such people in his businesses if and when such things happened. I was very
surprised that Tillerson lasted as long as he did after he called D.M. a moron publicly.