Author Topic: This Is What Leadership Looks Like  (Read 7032 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: This Is What Leadership Looks Like
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 06:09:59 pm »
This sentence is the crux of what I think is wrong about all the premature celebrations, accolades, and tributes for Trump simply accepting a meeting with a dictator (which is all that's actually happened to date).  Contrary to Tim Mostert's assertion above, I don't think "real leadership" is about being willing to sit down and hammer out a solution, it's about ACTUALLY hammering out the solution. 

If in this case, Trump gets North Korea to actually denuke and he gets inspectors access to all of North Korea to verify this, I'll give the President all the credit in the world.  No one else has been able to accomplish that, and if he does, he'll deserve all that credit.  That's a huge IF and we're a long way from it IMO.  Until the solution is actually hammered out, I'm not going to celebrate someone who's simply willing to solve a problem.  Let's solve it THEN let's celebrate!

Some people get up everyday, enthusiastic and positive. At worst the world is only half-full.

And some people get up dark and dreary, and the world is at best, half-empty.

You seem inclined to find all of the reasons for negativity. Chances are, the team didn't crown you "most inspirational."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2018, 06:13:26 pm »
   Au Contraire @truth_seeker Some of us have indeed bestowed the honour of the 'Inspiration' award to the likes of @INVAR, @Concerned and @edpc.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2018, 06:19:26 pm »
Some people get up everyday, enthusiastic and positive. At worst the world is only half-full.

And some people get up dark and dreary, and the world is at best, half-empty.

You seem inclined to find all of the reasons for negativity. Chances are, the team didn't crown you "most inspirational."

I spent virtually my entire career trying to satisfy the shareholders of the companies I worked for by increasing shareholder value  That was my number one priority.  I taught this to all who worked for me, and they, like me, reaped the benefits of this approach when those companies were wildly successful.  Most of my employees found this incredibly "inspirational", but it does require a level of accountability that isn't for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:26:24 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2018, 06:24:56 pm »
   One of my favorite beer joints is across the street from a MHMR Clinic (Mental Health/Mental Retardation), I always park my car at the clinic and walk across the street so no one knows I go to that bar, with that being said My Mother still thinks I'm over at TOS.

It's better to have Mom thinking I'm going to the MHMR Clinic than going to the joint across the street.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Concerned

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 06:25:57 pm »
   Au Contraire @truth_seeker Some of us have indeed bestowed the honour of the 'Inspiration' award to the likes of @INVAR, @Concerned and @edpc.

WOW!  Thanks.   :beer:

@corbe

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 06:26:23 pm »
I spent virtually my entire career trying to satisfy the shareholders of the companies I worked for by increasing shareholder value  That was my number one priority.  I taught this to this to all who worked for me, and they, like me, reaped the benefits of this approach when those companies were wildly successful.  Most of my employees found this incredibly "inspirational", but it does require a level of accountability that isn't for everyone.

That's a good approach because it keeps all the horses pulling in the same direction.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 06:35:37 pm »
That's a good approach because it keeps all the horses pulling in the same direction.

Exactly!  You obviously get it.  Even today, I teach a leadership class to executives, and I tell them that when they have the really tough decisions to make (e.g., personnel, investment, strategy, whatever), they really need to focus on the solution that adds the most shareholder value to the company's owners.  If management is able to focus on and prioritize that, decision making (particularly the tough jump balls) can become just a bit little easier.  This also provided clear prioritization and focus to the entire management team.  It's a fairly simple concept, but I'm amazed at how many executives lose sight of it.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 06:58:31 pm »
@Emjay Good stay here..this is a political forum and there is bound to be major disagreements not to be taken too seriously I hope....we are all Briefers!

@mystery-ak  well ...  I actually wasn't threatening to leave TBR. Hah.  I was just announcing that I was leaving that particular thread.

It would have to get much worse for me to leave this forum, partly because of how much I like and respect you.

I do think that many posters here, particularly the Trump haters, need to grow up.  We can discuss things without personal attacks and childish insults.

But, I'm in, unless something really dire happens.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 07:02:12 pm »
I think they reopened it.  But who wants to go there now, after all the spilt blood?

I know.  It's ruined for all time now and it didn't have to happen.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 07:06:24 pm »

@Emjay

When I was working, I used to have an executive or two working for me who wanted to get credit for "the effort".  As I told them, our Board of Directors and shareholders aren't compensating us for "effort", they are compensating us for "results".  Most of these executives who wanted credit just for effort didn't last that long under me.

This is even more true with the President of the United States IMO.  The American People don't vote them in for "effort", we (at least most of us, I think), voted them in for "results".  "Real leadership" is just not about "effort" IMO, it's about "results" period. At least IMO.

@Concerned   Your working experience may have been valuable in many ways but your logic on this particular matter is flawed.

You cannot succeed unless you try.  You cannot try if you are too afraid of failing to even try.

Trump is trying to resolve the situation with a mad dictator.  That is a good thing and deserves a little respect.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2018, 07:14:34 pm »
@Concerned   Your working experience may have been valuable in many ways but your logic on this particular matter is flawed.

You cannot succeed unless you try.  You cannot try if you are too afraid of failing to even try.

Trump is trying to resolve the situation with a mad dictator.  That is a good thing and deserves a little respect.

Failing to try isn't even putting in the effort.
I will NOT comply.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »
@mystery-ak  well ...  I actually wasn't threatening to leave TBR. Hah.  I was just announcing that I was leaving that particular thread.

It would have to get much worse for me to leave this forum, partly because of how much I like and respect you.

I do think that many posters here, particularly the Trump haters, need to grow up.  We can discuss things without personal attacks and childish insults.

But, I'm in, unless something really dire happens.

:bighug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 07:26:01 pm »
Failing to try isn't even putting in the effort.

I know.  And Trump probably realized the dangers inherent in attempting this negotiation.

Frankly, I don't think it will happen.  Kim Jong Ill is a weird dude and will probably throw some sort of roadblock up.

But, yeah, I just don't understand @Concerned ... Frankly, he sounds like someone I would not want to work for.  Fear of failing and thus not trying is not exactly admirable.

Online corbe

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:54 pm »
   @edpc pegged it with his initial post @Emjay all this lavish praise just for announcing he's willing to sit down and talk with Little Rocket Man means nothing, Like Trump telling his now fired SoS two weeks ago "Your wasting your time negotiating" even GWB didn't bother with negotiations.  I'm not saying that the 'Strategery Patience' was a policy worthy of results but I'll wait till it's more than WH press releases about a meeting before 'I' give him credit, but you knew that already.

EDIT:  It was @Concerned not @edpc
This sentence is the crux of what I think is wrong about all the premature celebrations, accolades, and tributes for Trump simply accepting a meeting with a dictator (which is all that's actually happened to date).  Contrary to Tim Mostert's assertion above, I don't think "real leadership" is about being willing to sit down and hammer out a solution, it's about ACTUALLY hammering out the solution. 

If in this case, Trump gets North Korea to actually denuke and he gets inspectors access to all of North Korea to verify this, I'll give the President all the credit in the world.  No one else has been able to accomplish that, and if he does, he'll deserve all that credit.  That's a huge IF and we're a long way from it IMO.  Until the solution is actually hammered out, I'm not going to celebrate someone who's simply willing to solve a problem.  Let's solve it THEN let's celebrate! 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:19:03 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:58 pm »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:51 pm »
   @edpc pegged it with his initial post @Emjay all this lavish praise just for announcing he's willing to sit down and talk with Little Rocket Man means nothing, Like Trump telling his now fired SoS two weeks ago "Your wasting your time negotiating" even GWB didn't bother with negotiations.  I'm not saying that the 'Strategery Patience' was a policy worthy of results but I'll wait till it's more than WH press releases about a meeting before 'I' give him credit, but you knew that already.

EDIT:  It was @Concerned not @edpc

@corbe   So wrong on so many levels. 

There was no lavish praise.  There was praise and hope.  You and @Concerned are so set in your anti-Trump paradise that you have lost all sense of reality.

A lot of people are glad that Trump is trying to avoid My home state being hit with a REAL warning next time.

Why aren't you?

Online libertybele

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2018, 09:32:26 pm »
Screw Cruz. Pharma whore.

???? Having problems today??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 09:47:12 pm »
  I can not speak for Concerned but certainly my reality clashes with yours and a few others here, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I wouldn't want anyone to wipe out your Home State @Emjay, besides you, I love your pineapple, too.

Online corbe

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2018, 09:49:55 pm »
    More Cowbell!   

Goldman Sachs Bit@h!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2018, 10:17:40 pm »
  I can not speak for Concerned but certainly my reality clashes with yours and a few others here, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I wouldn't want anyone to wipe out your Home State @Emjay, besides you, I love your pineapple, too.
@corbe

Your reality clashes with reality, corbe.

Just because you hate Trump should not cause you to lose all sense of balance where he is concerned.

I think both you and Ed start from a position just a little south of reality where Trump is involved.

No one is saying that Trump's efforts to negotiate with kim jong very ill will be successful.  I actually doubt they will happen.

But Trump put it out there and he is willing to do it.  A successful effort to reach some sort of comity with NK would be good for everybody.

What the heck is your problem?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2018, 10:18:22 pm »
    More Cowbell!   

Goldman Sachs Bit@h!

That is so not funny anymore, @corbe

Offline Concerned

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2018, 11:36:43 am »

@Emjay

I believe Jimmy Carter "tried" to be a good President.  He failed because he didn't get results.  Of course Trump is "trying to resolve the situation with a mad dictator".  I would argue that other President "tried" also:  Clinton negotiated and put into place the "Agreed Framework"; Bush suspended the Clinton agreement, instituted "6 Party Talks, and established a "dismantle first, talk later” policy; Obama offered to negotiate with North Korea during his inauguration speech, having seen Bush's tough talk fail, he switched to "strategic patience", the Obama Administration also got the UN Security Council to place tougher sanctions on North Korea.  You act as though no other President has ever "tried" to solve this problem.  That is absolute nonsense.  They "tried", but they FAILED because they didn't get results.  Most just don't celebrate "trying".

I believe most stakeholders care about results not trying.  We don't reward the losing team from the Super Bowl because they "tried to win".  Board members and shareholders don't reward CEOs for "trying" to add shareholder value, and I contend most people (beyond the sycophants) don't simply respect a President for "trying to solve a problem".  I think most of us expect actual results from our Presidents not just effort.  As I've said, if Trump gets North Korea to denuke and gets access to the entire country for inspectors, I'll gladly give the President all the credit in the world.  Unfortunately, we aren't there yet.

Leadership is a subject that is near and dear to my heart.  Fortunately, it's also something about which I've had a little bit of experience.  This concept that "real leadership" is just about "trying" is utter nonsense IMO.  It flies in the face of every leadership course I've ever seen.  We may reward junior folks for effort and trying, but once you reach a certain level, I think most stakeholders expect results from their leaders.  You and I will never agree on this, but I think most people (e.g., sports fans, shareholders, voters) in the "real world" agree with me:  leadership is about results.  Have a nice day though.   :seeya:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:39:44 am by Concerned »

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2018, 12:32:30 pm »
What?

I've posted the proof and explained it numerous times already, but you BELIEVE in the Counseling, Mind Control, and Pharmaceutical Intervention Industry, despite the mountains and mountains of Non-Industry money corrupted Clinical Trial and Meta-Analytic compilations I've provided.

There's no sense in my going through it again a 6th time of a 6th Hundredth time.

Look up the RESULT act Cruz spit up in cahoots with that other phony conservative Mike Lee.

And Moderators have deleted my posts for my troubles while allowing other members here to openly call members who they disagree with "azzholes, idiots, and unicorn-chasers". I have never descended to that type of personal insult no matter How vehemently I disagree with another member's POV.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:35:03 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2018, 01:13:31 pm »
This Is What Leadership Looks Like

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2018, 01:55:02 pm »
I've posted the proof and explained it numerous times already, but you BELIEVE in the Counseling, Mind Control, and Pharmaceutical Intervention Industry, despite the mountains and mountains of Non-Industry money corrupted Clinical Trial and Meta-Analytic compilations I've provided.

There's no sense in my going through it again a 6th time of a 6th Hundredth time.

Look up the RESULT act Cruz spit up in cahoots with that other phony conservative Mike Lee.

And Moderators have deleted my posts for my troubles while allowing other members here to openly call members who they disagree with "azzholes, idiots, and unicorn-chasers". I have never descended to that type of personal insult no matter How vehemently I disagree with another member's POV.

Thank you for answering; you had me baffled.  OK, so I put in "Result act Cruz" and found the act you were talking about.  I don't see anything sinister in it though.

Sen. Ted Cruz Wants To Change The Way The FDA Approves Drugs

John LaMattina , Contributor

It is not surprising, given that we are in an election year, that the biopharmaceutical industry has come under increased scrutiny. Given the industry’s poor reputation, as well as aberrant price increases on the part of Valeant and Turing Pharmaceuticals (Martin Shkreli’s former company), the industry is an easy mark for Secretary Clinton, Senator Sanders and others in Congress. Attacks on “Big Pharma” always draw cheers from audiences as we have seen thus far at campaign rallies in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Senator Ted Cruz has taken another approach in making his mark on healthcare. He wants to change how the FDA approves drugs. In December, the senator from Texas, along with co-sponsor Senator Mike Lee from Utah, introduced the “Reciprocity Ensures Streamlined Use Of Lifesaving Treatments (RESULT) Act." The RESULT Act would allow for reciprocal approval of drugs, devices and biologics from foreign sponsors in European countries, as well as from Japan, Canada, Australia and Israel. In addition, the bill would allow Congress to overrule FDA rejections of life-saving drugs with a majority vote via joint resolution. Cruz explained the purpose and need for such a law as follows:

We need to tear down the barriers blocking a new era of medical innovation, and the primary inhibitor is the government itself. It’s past time to unleash a supply-side medical revolution, so that instead of simply caring for people with debilitating diseases, we cure them. For this reason, I have introduced this legislation to reform the FDA and champion innovation. Our legislation will unleash life-saving drugs and devices in the United States, help mitigate critical drug shortages in the U.S., and put downward pressure on the prices of medical devices and drugs as well.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnlamattina/2016/02/03/sen-ted-cruz-wants-to-change-the-way-that-the-fda-approves-drugs/#1bb7f8cf59d4

There was lots more, but this one was pretty clear.