Author Topic: This Is What Leadership Looks Like  (Read 7003 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: This Is What Leadership Looks Like
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2018, 03:56:18 am »
He will probably like the Rebels cartoon.

And - in case you missed this - there is a new Star Wars movie coming out in May - that covers Han Solo's backstory of how he met Chewie.  Looks like fun.

! No longer available

I'll have to see if I can find it on Amazon or Netflix then.

Yeah, I heard about all the movies coming out.  Disney is doing a hell of a job wringing every last penny out of the franchise that they can.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2018, 04:01:15 am »
@INVAR
@Suppressed
Okay, but my 6 year old *LOVES* Star Wars.  He walks around the house humming Darth Vader's theme (please don't be a total Star Wars nerd and correct my naming of the song), like it's his own personal theme song.  My question is, can I let him see the newest movie?

And yes, we're considering seeking counseling about the theme song thing.

LOL!  My buddy and his fiancée held a Star Wars/Disney wedding, and I wanted so much to suggest that Imperial March (Vader's Theme) for her entrance (I wasn't a fan of her).   :laugh:

As for the movie, this one tries to be a lot more "edgy" than earlier ones, so there's some language and violence that might be disturbing.  The attempts at humor that it makes are at about a 6-grade level for the more sophisticated stuff, so that might be about right.  But because I don't know what you'd find okay, I'd suggest looking at a parents guide like here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/parentalguide

And they play up the cute BB-8 droid and they put in these cute little creatures in:

(They included them because there were puffins at the filming location that couldn't be disturbed, so they painted over them with these creatures via CGI.)

You need to teach your kid the Code of the Sith:

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my chains are Broken.
The Force shall free me.

That, with an intimidating stare, will serve him well.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2018, 04:04:45 am »
I'll have to see if I can find it on Amazon or Netflix then.

Yeah, I heard about all the movies coming out.  Disney is doing a hell of a job wringing every last penny out of the franchise that they can.

Unfortunately it's not on any of those platforms for subscribers.  I think you can buy the DVDs of seasons 1-3 on Amazon.

Disney is going into overdrive with their own streaming platform to compete with Netflix and Amazon starting in January.  They are yanking all their content off every single platform and making them exclusive to their own streaming subscription service of $25 a month.

I already have Netflix and Amazon - and that is plenty.  Any more subscriptions and I will be paying more than I did for premium cable channels.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2018, 04:04:51 am »
Apparently.

Like I said, let's not discuss.   :laugh:

But to be polite and answer, I'll just say that I thought it showed an extreme lack of class for the director and his clutch of 20-somethings to intentionally stick a finger in the eye of fans and go against as many previously loved things as possible.  I'm not a fanatic about it; I just found it very disappointing.

(Though the idiotic, sophomoric attempts at humor were the most ridiculous part.)

I doubt I'll bother to see the next one.   And I'll wait for reviews on Solo.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2018, 04:18:32 am »
Like I said, let's not discuss.   :laugh:

But to be polite and answer, I'll just say that I thought it showed an extreme lack of class for the director and his clutch of 20-somethings to intentionally stick a finger in the eye of fans and go against as many previously loved things as possible.  I'm not a fanatic about it; I just found it very disappointing.

(Though the idiotic, sophomoric attempts at humor were the most ridiculous part.)

I doubt I'll bother to see the next one.   And I'll wait for reviews on Solo.

You are perfectly welcome to have your opinion about TLJ and your reasons for disliking it are just as valid as my reasons for liking it.  I have my major problems with it but I did not leave the theater as disappointed as I did with the Prequels, especially Sith.

Personally, I am very happy TLJ  did not turn out to be a complete rehash of the Empire Strikes Back ala TFA.  That is what I was most afraid of.  For me it had layers a lot deeper than the last one, I enjoyed the twists and surprises but I understand that other fans had expectations that were not met.

However, how the Star Wars community has treated one another in the aftermath of the movie - was something that still has me shocked.

I've never seen such vitriolic hatred in my life displayed over a piece of entertainment like I did watching that whole thing.  Like I said - the fights on this board are not even a shadow of the white hot fights I witnessed there.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:20:37 am by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2018, 04:24:59 am »
LOL!  My buddy and his fiancée held a Star Wars/Disney wedding, and I wanted so much to suggest that Imperial March (Vader's Theme) for her entrance (I wasn't a fan of her).   :laugh:

As for the movie, this one tries to be a lot more "edgy" than earlier ones, so there's some language and violence that might be disturbing.  The attempts at humor that it makes are at about a 6-grade level for the more sophisticated stuff, so that might be about right.  But because I don't know what you'd find okay, I'd suggest looking at a parents guide like here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/parentalguide

And they play up the cute BB-8 droid and they put in these cute little creatures in:

(They included them because there were puffins at the filming location that couldn't be disturbed, so they painted over them with these creatures via CGI.)

You need to teach your kid the Code of the Sith:

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my chains are Broken.
The Force shall free me.

That, with an intimidating stare, will serve him well.

Thanks for all that info.  I might skip this one with him.  I looked through the IMDB thing and one of the list of profanity is "big ass".  Just what I need, him asking for a big ass drink of water.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2018, 04:26:51 am »
Unfortunately it's not on any of those platforms for subscribers.  I think you can buy the DVDs of seasons 1-3 on Amazon.

Disney is going into overdrive with their own streaming platform to compete with Netflix and Amazon starting in January.  They are yanking all their content off every single platform and making them exclusive to their own streaming subscription service of $25 a month.

I already have Netflix and Amazon - and that is plenty.  Any more subscriptions and I will be paying more than I did for premium cable channels.

I knew about the Disney thing.  I wonder what that means for any Disney digital content I have bought through Amazon.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2018, 04:28:48 am »
Thanks for all that info.  I might skip this one with him.  I looked through the IMDB thing and one of the list of profanity is "big ass".  Just what I need, him asking for a big ass drink of water.

I've seen the move about a dozen times and I do not recall that line anywhere in the movie - unless it was an alien language or something in the rating that has to do with the extras and documentaries of the making of located on the rest of the DVD.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2018, 09:03:13 am »
Just what I need, him asking for a big ass drink of water.

Heh...that's exactly what I was thinking, almost verbatim!
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2018, 09:11:03 am »
I've seen the move about a dozen times and I do not recall that line anywhere in the movie - unless it was an alien language or something in the rating that has to do with the extras and documentaries of the making of located on the rest of the DVD.

The word that came into my.mind so often with.the movie was "goofy," though "silly" would work.  Yeah, maybe not as juvenile as I-Iii, but they tried.

And "big ass" was one of those moments where they tried to make Poe hip by having him talk about the "big-ass door" on Crait.

PM with spoilers to follow.
+++++++++