Author Topic: Scientists: Fusion Power Could Be on the Grid in 15 Years  (Read 1348 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists: Fusion Power Could Be on the Grid in 15 Years
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:39:09 pm »
Scientists: Fusion Power Could Be on the Grid in 15 Years

A new superconducting material and ridiciously powerful magnets are potentially the key to a power revolution.
By Eric Limer   
Mar 9, 2018

While fusion energy is simple in theory, it's ridiculously difficult in practice. Not only is it challenging to maintain the precise magnetic field required to contain plasma heated to millions of degrees, you also need to protect the inside of the reactor from destructive bubbles of helium, all while ensuring that the reaction can be sustained and actually generate more energy than it needs. MIT and CFS are hoping to facilitate a leap forward on several of these problems at once with a new superconducting material that will help make more efficient magnets to control the plasma.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a19299044/scientists-fusion-power-could-be-on-the-grid-in-15-years/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:39:54 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Scientists: Fusion Power Could Be on the Grid in 15 Years
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 02:27:01 pm »
Now, where have I heard that line before??????

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:49:17 pm »
Now, where have I heard that line before??????

Getting closer.  40 years ago it was 20 years away.  now it is 15.  Just 120 more years at this rate.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:51:26 pm »
Getting closer.  40 years ago it was 20 years away.  now it is 15.  Just 120 more years at this rate.

000hehehehe
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:51:51 pm by guitar4jesus »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:03:20 pm »
Found another article from MIT that said the goal was to produce a working pilot plant in 15 years.  Who knows when or if a real operational plant will take place?

The popular mechanics article is exaggerating what is taking place.  No surprise.

http://news.mit.edu/2018/mit-newly-formed-company-launch-novel-approach-fusion-power-0309
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:12:22 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:41:22 pm »
I am more interested in Thorium power.  Especially if used to turn coal into liquid fuels.  This would play into two of America's greatest natural resources. 

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »
Or it could not.

Very informative.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:42:45 pm »
I am more interested in Thorium power.  Especially if used to turn coal into liquid fuels.  This would play into two of America's greatest natural resources.

The biggest obstacle to thorium power plants is getting the mining and fuel fabrication facilities built. Current fission plants' infrastructure bootstrapped off of military weapons infrastructure.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 04:52:15 pm »
I don't see it.  The Greenie Weenies would tie a thing like this up in court for at least 20 years, and there isn't even a pilot plant yet.  I don't think there's such a thing on paper, even...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: