Author Topic: Trump Pardons Kristian Saucier, Former Sailor Jailed For Submarine Pictures  (Read 1788 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
So, you agree with me.

Not exactly. I was just correcting the record as to whether he was still in prison. My contention about the part and was he should have gotten one before Arpaio did.  That occurred in late August last year.  If he was going to pardon Sheriff Joe, this kid deserved one, too, with less than one month left on his sentence.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:19:16 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Not exactly. I was just correcting the record as to whether he was still in prison. My contention about the part and was he should have gotten one before Arpaio did.  That occurred in late August last year.  If he was going to pardon Sheriff Joe, this kid deserved one, too, with less than one month left on his sentence.

"Correcting the record"?  I didn't say he was still in prison, I said he was "released" as in from house arrest with an ankle bracelet.  If you would spend a little more time absorbing what I wrote rather than automatically assuming I was wrong and need you to correct me, we could dispense with a lot of this back and forth.

Offline Fantom

Awesome.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

"Correcting the record"?  I didn't say he was still in prison, I said he was "released" as in from house arrest with an ankle bracelet.  If you would spend a little more time absorbing what I wrote rather than automatically assuming I was wrong and need you to correct me, we could dispense with a lot of this back and forth.

I'm not certain how else I was supposed to interpret 'released with time served.'  To me, that has a clear implication he is still in jail and you made no reference to house arrest.    :shrug:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:46:48 am by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm not certain how else I was supposed to interpret 'released with time served.'  To me, that has a clear implication he is still in jail and you made no reference to house arrest.    :shrug:

I didn't need to reference it; the article did.  You assumed for some reason that I didn't know that.  :shrug:

Offline edpc

I didn't need to reference it; the article did.  You assumed for some reason that I didn't know that.  :shrug:

I have no way of divining what you understood from the article. People in halfway houses and under monitoring are released from prison, but I'm not going to split hairs.  My point has been, I believe his pardon should have occurred before Arpaio's, as I said before.

Trump made a point of bringing him up in the campaign.  I would not expect him to sign a pardon on day one. He had to be briefed on a number of issues, assemble his cabinet, and select a Supreme Court Justice.  However, given the fact he made a point of bringing up Saucier's situation in the election, that should have been his first pardon, when one was considered.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:03:50 am by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I have no way of divining what you understood from the article. ...

No, you didn't, but, nonetheless you just assumed I was wrong.  That kind of myopia makes for difficult communication. 

Offline edpc

No, you didn't, but, nonetheless you just assumed I was wrong.  That kind of myopia makes for difficult communication.

A forum of typed words with indirect communication makes it difficult.  In this type of discussion, I can only go by my understanding of words as typed.  I'm not going to apologize for a literal interpretation of 'released,' as it pertains to someone convicted.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:09:25 am by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

A forum of typed words with indirect communication makes it difficult.  In this type of discussion, I can only go by my understanding of words as typed.  I'm not going to apologize for a literal interpretation of 'released,' as it pertains to someone convicted.

Hey, if you don't want to get it, you won't get it.   :shrug:

Offline edpc

Hey, if you don't want to get it, you won't get it.   :shrug:

No, I get it. You said released, but meant free from monitoring, but it's my fault you weren't clear. Understood.

Offline Stevensr123

I don't get why people are happy? He took images of a classified area and tried to destroy all evidence of it.

Ofcourse it was probably an innocent objective from him, but law is law and at the end of the day those laws are in place to stop spies etc which he could well have been.

That said, he made his mistake and paid for his crimes, so hopefully he moves on with his life and things work out for him.

But he HAD to pay for his crimes, otherwise if he didn't every tom, dick and harry would start to take pictures of classified material/weapons etc and have a precedent of getting away with it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:57:41 am by Stevensr123 »

Offline Night Hides Not

I don't get why people are happy? He took images of a classified area and tried to destroy all evidence of it.

Ofcourse it was probably an innocent objective from him, but law is law and at the end of the day those laws are in place to stop spies etc which he could well have been.

That said, he made his mistake and paid for his crimes, so hopefully he moves on with his life and things work out for him.

But he HAD to pay for his crimes, otherwise if he didn't every tom, dick and harry would start to take pictures of classified material/weapons etc and have a precedent of getting away with it.

I'm with you. I remember young officers' careers being ruined after losing a confidential radio call signs booklet in the field. We hung it around our necks, and the "necklace" was prone to break during field exercises. It had approximately the same dimensions as a pack of cigarettes. It became a reflex reaction, checking every half hour to make it was securely on my person.

He was an E-6, not an inexperienced sailor. Heck, I was a platoon leader with three squad leaders who were "acting jacks", E-4s in an E-6 position.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Stevensr123

I'm with you. I remember young officers' careers being ruined after losing a confidential radio call signs booklet in the field. We hung it around our necks, and the "necklace" was prone to break during field exercises. It had approximately the same dimensions as a pack of cigarettes. It became a reflex reaction, checking every half hour to make it was securely on my person.

He was an E-6, not an inexperienced sailor. Heck, I was a platoon leader with three squad leaders who were "acting jacks", E-4s in an E-6 position.
Exactly.

My dad was in the parachute regiment of the British military and he has told me even making his bed "wrong" would get him disciplined. never mind taking photos of a classified weapon/material/area. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:15:40 am by Stevensr123 »

Offline Night Hides Not

Exactly.

My dad was in the parachute regiment of the British military and he has told me even making his bed "wrong" would get him disciplined. never mind taking photos of a classified weapon/material/area.

The good old days...I have fond memories of a joint field exercise when I was stationed in Germany. We were invited to join the British officers for dinner: white tablecloths, gin and tonics before, during, and after dinner.

During REFORGER '77, we came across another British unit. A young trooper saw my baseball cap with jump wings, and he insisted I trade it for his field jacket. I objected a couple of times before finally assenting to the trade.  The day before, I traded for a Belgian army beret, so it wasn't like I had no other headgear.

A few weeks later, I made the mistake of wearing the beret with our Battalion Commander in the area. lol
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline edpc

Mostly, it has to do with a comparison and contrast around the circumstances of Hillary's situation.  Yes, what he did was wrong and he compounded it with the destruction of the devices.  Howerver, the actions of Mrs. Clinton were deemed to have not been done with intent.  That's absurd, given what we know about her private server and the handling of it.

People are generally tired of seeing the Clintons and people around them skate on blatant violations of national security, while others are punished for lesser offenses.  This young man served jail time, while Sandy Berger only had his clearance revoked and called 'sloppy.'  The man was caught red handed stealing documents from the National Archive and attempting to destroy them, for crying out loud - and nothing. 

As far as I'm concerned, Jeffrey Sterling should be pardoned, as well.  If ever someone deserved whistleblower protection for releasing information, it's him.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Well said.

Offline Axeslinger

Now he needs to work on getting his discharge upgraded.
@txradioguy
It’s a common misconception that discharges can be upgraded.  About the only way they can be upgraded is if a person can demonstrate that the service made an error in the discharge that was given.  In this case, I don’t see any way of that happening.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy
It’s a common misconception that discharges can be upgraded.  About the only way they can be upgraded is if a person can demonstrate that the service made an error in the discharge that was given.  In this case, I don’t see any way of that happening.

I've seen a few instances where it happened.

Believe it or not former Sergeant Major of The Army Gene McKinney got discharge upgraded and his last highest rank (E-9) back as well. Though it was done very very quietly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

... Howerver, the actions of Mrs. Clinton were deemed to have not been done with intent. 

That is a complete and total crock.

I held a Secret Clearance, and had it drilled into my head that it was very serious business. As in be careful with the Germans down town. Etc.

Professors, the military and my father drilled thngs into me, like:

"You can delegate authority but you can't delegate responsibility" and

"You are responsible for what you know, and what you should know."

I government these days (and increasingly in society too), neither of those are enforced.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Night Hides Not

I held a Secret Clearance, and had it drilled into my head that it was very serious business. As in be careful with the Germans down town. Etc.

I government these days (and increasingly in society too), neither of those are enforced.

I had a NATO TS clearance, received it about the same time that Warren Zevon recorded the song “Lawyers, Guns, & Money.” I was thinking about that song when, during a 3 month TDY in Northern Germany, I went home with a waitress...she wasn’t with the Russians, thankfully. Lol

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

It is.  That was the conclusion drawn by Comey and the FBI - it certainly isn't my opinion.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.

I think you're right.  The military may be the only segment of society left that takes these issues seriously and holds people to account.

I don't think the Obama administration, including Hillary Clinton, was more corrupt than the one before it and certainly not more than the current set.  There have been email issues in the Bush, Obama, and Trump White Houses; either a lot of people should be in jail or no one should.  There have clearly been major issues at all govt levels in dealing with technology, much like in society. 

It looks like the military is the only group that expects people to take tech security seriously.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I had a NATO TS clearance, received it about the same time that Warren Zevon recorded the song “Lawyers, Guns, & Money.” I was thinking about that song when, during a 3 month TDY in Northern Germany, I went home with a waitress...she wasn’t with the Russians, thankfully. Lol

Mine was TS Crypto.  (I don't think they went much beyond that at the time but not sure about it.) I can tell you this, if I had done 1/100th of what Hillary has done I would still be trying to dig may way out from under Leavenworth.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:42:41 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Mine was TS Crypto.  (I don't think they went much beyond that at the time but not sure about it.) I can tell you this, if I had done 1/100th of what Hillary has done I would still be trying to dig may way out from under Leavenworth.

@Bigun

That's the same one my dad had in the USAF. He was a Morse Code Intercept Operator.

They went back and talked to people down to his first grade teacher.

When he got out in 1965 he couldn't leave the U.S. for months and for 12 months after he got out if he had required surgery with general anesthesia it would have required a Major or higher to be in the OR.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:23:07 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!