Author Topic: Trump Pardons Kristian Saucier, Former Sailor Jailed For Submarine Pictures  (Read 1789 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
President Trump issued the second pardon of his presidency Friday to former Navy sailor Kristian Saucier.

Saucier was sentenced to a year in prison during the 2016 campaign for taking pictures inside a nuclear submarine. Trump invoked his case repeatedly on the campaign trail, saying he was “ruined” for doing “nothing” compared to Hillary Clinton. Saucier was 22 years old when he took the cellphone photos in 2009.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-pardons-kristian-saucier-former-sailor-jailed-for-submarine-pictures/article/2651195
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:49:55 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Way overdue. He should’ve been pardoned long before Arpaio.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Excellent!

What this guy did was wrong but he didnt deserve to have his life ruined.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Good to hear..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Good

Offline edpc

Sarah had mentioned this at the start of the briefing, but I couldn't find a source to post it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
EXCELLENT news!  Good job Mr. President!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Excellent!

What this guy did was wrong but he didnt deserve to have his life ruined.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Excellent news.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

Just more tangible proof......Trump is God!

Offline edpc

"In looking back into our investigations into the mishandling or removal of classified information, we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts," Comey said. "All the cases prosecuted involved some combination of: clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of information exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice. We do not see those things here."

Sounds a lot like the circumstances of this case.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Now he needs to work on getting his discharge upgraded.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Jailed sailor reacts to being cited by Trump on Twitter

Former Navy Machinist Kristian Saucier speaks out on being mentioned by the president as an example of a Clinton double standard.

Kristian Saucier, the former U.S. Navy sailor who served a year behind bars for taking photos of classified areas in a nuclear submarine, has been pardoned, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Friday.

Saucier recently received a letter from the Department of Justice saying it was taking a new look at his request for a pardon. Although he was released from jail last year, he remained under house arrest.

Trump had denounced the government’s handling of Saucier’s case, calling it a political move and saying it contrasted with the velvet-gloved response to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s mismanagement of classified information through a private server....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/09/trump-pardons-former-navy-sailor-imprisoned-for-taking-photos-on-nuclear-submarine-white-house-says.html

Offline edpc

Now he needs to work on getting his discharge upgraded.

Would it be general or honorable?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Would it be general or honorable?

Given his rank at the time (E-6) and what was said today by Ms Sanders as well as what I can only assume are good fitness reports prior to this incident. I'd go for honorable and full reinstatement of pay and benefits.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Given his rank at the time (E-6) and what was said today by Ms Sanders as well as what I can only assume are good fitness reports prior to this incident. I'd go for honorable and full reinstatement of pay and benefits.

He did break the law and do something stupid and potentially harmful.

Offline edpc

He made a mistake with the photos.  He probably should have known better, but there was no determination of intent to distribute them.  They were also not that damaging in relation to espionage value, as determined by the Navy.

Court filings say the photos were clear enough that they reveal classified details about the submarine that could be of use to foreign governments, such as the vessel’s maximum speed.

However, the Navy says the photos are classified “confidential,” which is the lowest tier of protection for classified information and is designated for information that could cause some damage to national security but not “serious” or “exceptionally grave” damage.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/kristian-saucier-investigation-hillary-clinton-223646

The worst thing he did was destroy the computer, phone, and memory card once he learned about the investigation.  Another dumb mistake that earned him an unnecessary obstruction charge.  This absolutely pales in comparison to the classified information in Hillary's server and her very obvious attempt to hide it. It's pretty much the definition of intent.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:52:40 pm by edpc »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
So glad to hear this!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Frank Cannon

So glad to hear this!

You will also be glad to hear that Trump saved a bundle of money by switching the WH limo to Gieco.

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah, I'm not sure what is good about this.  Was the punishment extraordinary for the crime?

Offline edpc

Yeah, I'm not sure what is good about this.  Was the punishment extraordinary for the crime?

There’s obviously a political component, related to the contrast of the way Hillary’s case was handled. However, in the end, I believe it’s about the discharge conditions and letting him get on with his life.  As far as national security and classified breaches go, Saucier deserves the pardon a lot more than Manning deserved a commuted sentence.  Just my 2¢.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:18:40 am by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He made a mistake with the photos.  He probably should have known better, but there was no determination of intent to distribute them.  They were also not that damaging in relation to espionage value, as determined by the Navy.

Court filings say the photos were clear enough that they reveal classified details about the submarine that could be of use to foreign governments, such as the vessel’s maximum speed.

However, the Navy says the photos are classified “confidential,” which is the lowest tier of protection for classified information and is designated for information that could cause some damage to national security but not “serious” or “exceptionally grave” damage.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/kristian-saucier-investigation-hillary-clinton-223646

The worst thing he did was destroy the computer, phone, and memory card once he learned about the investigation.  Another dumb mistake that earned him an unnecessary obstruction charge.  This absolutely pales in comparison to the classified information in Hillary's server and her very obvious attempt to hide it. It's pretty much the definition of intent.

I understand all of that, but disagree that the worst he did was try to cover up.  He did something stupid and criminal.  As we know, intent does not matter here.

Some punishment was appropriate and the fact that Hillary is getting away with much worse does not change that.

All that being said, I'm glad he was pardoned and will be released with time served.

Offline Applewood

Just more tangible proof......Trump is God!

Well, HE thinks he is.

Offline edpc

I understand all of that, but disagree that the worst he did was try to cover up.  He did something stupid and criminal.  As we know, intent does not matter here.

Some punishment was appropriate and the fact that Hillary is getting away with much worse does not change that.

All that being said, I'm glad he was pardoned and will be released with time served. 

Saucier was sentenced during the 2016 campaign and served the full term.  He was released last September.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:14:47 am by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

He was sentenced during the 2016 campaign and served the full term.

So, you agree with me.