Author Topic: Gridiron dinner: Trump teases Jared Kushner and Jeff Sessions, tells 'straight' joke about Mike Penc  (Read 600 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gridiron dinner: Trump teases Jared Kushner and Jeff Sessions, tells 'straight' joke about Mike Pence
by Daniel Chaitin | Mar 4, 2018, 12:16 AM | Updated Mar 4, 2018, 1:44 AM

President Trump rubbed elbows with the Washington press corp on Saturday and cracked some jokes at the expense of top members of his administration.

Speaking at his first Gridiron dinner event, Trump joked about his son-in-law Jared Kushner's struggles with his security clearance in the White House.

“We were late tonight because Jared could not get through security," Trump said. The president also said Kushner is a “great guy” who has “suffered." The event this weekend follows a report from the New York Times that said Trump is quietly angling to have his daughter, Ivanka Trump, and her husband, Kushner, removed from their roles at the White House.

Trump made a funny in regards to his attorney general, Jeff Sessions, whom he excoriated again on Twitter this past week over the investigation into alleged FISA abuses.

“I offered him a ride over and he recused himself,” Trump said after noting Sessions was in attendance and had offered to bring him to dinner. That was a reference to Sessions recusing himself from the federal investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election season because he was a member of Trump's campaign — a move which evoked Trump's ire.

Meanwhile, Vice President Mike Pence got tossed into a clever "straight" joke.

Trump brought up how he was planning his routine and sought the advice of the “funniest” people in the White House, including Pence, according to the press pool report.

Trump called Pence a good “straight man," adding “he is straight!” The mention of a "straight main" references someone who sets up a joke, while the second "straight" appears to be a quip about Pence's sexual orientation. Pence has tangled with a number of gay icons and activists who have taken issue with his past opposition to gay rights and rumors that he backed conversion therapy, which his office has denied is true.

Trump offered another Pence jape, saying his VP starts every day asking, “Is he impeached yet?”

“You can’t be impeached when there’s no crime. Put that down!” Trump said.

First lady Melania Trump, also in attendance, wound up in a joke about who would be next to leave the White House.

The president asked whether it would be “[policy adviser] Steve Miller or Melania,” and later referenced the #FreeMelania hashtag. “She’s actually having a great time,” Trump said of his wife, the pool report said.

Other people who were mentioned in Trump's remarks included former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon [“That guy leaked more than the Titanic"], Democrats like Nancy Pelosi and Adam Schiff, and former White House aide and "Apprentice" contestant Omarosa Manigault. Various news outlets also got ribbed.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gridiron-dinner-trump-teases-jared-kushner-and-jeff-sessions-tells-straight-joke-about-mike-pence/article/2650636
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Concerned

Looks like the President did a great job last night including even some self-deprecating humor!

:thumbsup:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Read Trump's remarks at Gridiron dinner
The Hill, Mar 4, 2018

President Trump on Saturday took part in the Gridiron Club dinner's tradition of presidential speeches filled with self-deprecating humor and casting barbs at his own White House and his usual targets.

You can read Trump's comments below:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376673-read-trumps-remarks-at-gridiron-dinner

A couple of favorites from the President:

After all, you the New York Times are an icon. I’m a New York icon, you’re a New York icon, and the only difference is, I still own my buildings.

I especially have a place in my heart for Arthur Sulzberger. ... Our stories are almost mirror images. I inherited a million dollars from my father—had a great father—gave me a million dollars and I turned it into billions. True story. Arthur inherited billions of dollars and he turned his into millions. Hello Arthur.

And it’s been a very tough year. Jeff Zucker’s here. ... CNN, it lost a tremendous amount of credibility this year, but they also lost one of their true stars, the guy who got you the most scoops, inside info ... your really very best reporter. There was nobody like him—Steve Bannon. That guy leaked more than the Titanic ...

I thought my State of the Union address was actually extraordinary. One of the best ever given. in fact Luis Gutierrez was so overcome with emotion at how good this particular speech was that he had to leave the chamber. He left and wept.

But we had, ‘Drain The Swamp,’ we had, ‘Lock Her Up, we had, ‘Build The Wall.’ Build the wall! Nancy Pelosi has been trying to come up with a line that’s equal. And her line that she announced last week is, ‘Mow The Grass!’ It doesn’t work. ..

We’re talking about the Dreamers and, quite honestly, Democrats can fantasize all they want about winning in 2020. Those are the Dreamers

I won't rule out direct talks with Kim Jong Un. I just won't. As far as the risk of dealing with a madman is concerned, that's his problem, not mine.

Many people have asked me how my time as a reality TV star prepared me for the presidency, the truth is there’s very little overlap between the two. Very little. In one job, I had to manage a cutthroat cast of characters desperate for TV time, totally unprepared for their jobs, and each week afraid of having their asses fired. In the other job, I was the host of a smash television hit. …

For example, we’ve got a new plan to tackle global warming, one of my favorite subjects. We’re going to reduce the carbon footprint when we travel by shrinking the press pool so that we only have room for Sean Hannity, Lou Dobbs, and Judge Judy. ...

But I do want to say this is one of the best times I can ever remember having with the media. This might be the most fun I’ve had since watching your faces on election night. ...

Offline corbe

Thanks for providing the best @Right_in_Virginia, those are some good zingers.  I really didn't think he could do self-depreciating humour, he proved me wrong.  Oh yea, Great Writers, too.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

I inherited a million dollars from my father—had a great father—gave me a million dollars and I turned it into billions. True story.

He can't resist lying even in this venue.

He got money from his father as loans and gifts.  He took over his father's business.  He got an inheritance that was surely more than $1 million, given what was left.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Concerned

At the dinner, the President also praised the press and noted how much respect he has for a lot of them.  He also thanked the press for all they do "to support and sustain our democracy":

But you know, I’ll tell you what, I do have a lot of respect for a lot of the people in this room. Even people that have been very strong opponents, I’ve developed a lot of respect. Fairness is important to me, but you know, you’ve got your point of view. And a lot of you cover things very squarely and there are few professions that i respect more. And I’d like to thank the Gridiron Club and Foundation—foundation does an incredible job—for this wonderful evening. I want to thank all of the amazing speakers and, really, performers. Some very good performers ... they really are. ...

I want to thank the press for all you do to support and sustain our democracy. I mean that. I mean that. Some incredible people in the press ... brilliant, powerful, smart, and fair people in the press. And I want to thank you.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376673-read-trumps-remarks-at-gridiron-dinner

He can't resist lying even in this venue.  He got money from his father as loans and gifts.  He took over his father's business.  He got an inheritance that was surely more than $1 million, given what was left.

Oh for Cripes sake @Suppressed    "He got an inheritance more than $1 million" .... like you effing know.  And please, don't waste my time quoting from the likes of Salon as the source of your "knowledge".

Donald Trump turned the business into a billion dollar enterprise.  He wasn't afraid to move into Manhattan, expand the portfolio to include golf courses and communications .... and then take the businesses global.

Try and give credit where credit is due ... even if it personally burns your arse.

At the dinner, the President also praised the press and noted how much respect he has for a lot of them.  He also thanked the press for all they do "to support and sustain our democracy":

Wait, what?  Doesn't your crew skewer the President for dueling with the media?  Now you're skewering the President for this?

That's one too many skewers @Concerned   But no worries, all it's cost you is credibility.

Offline Concerned

Wait, what?  Doesn't your crew skewer the President for dueling with the media?  Now you're skewering the President for this?

That's one too many skewers @Concerned   But no worries, all it's cost you is credibility.

I didn't "skewer" the President in any way, shape or form in the post you quoted.  I simply reported the facts.  In fact, I provided absolutely no personal commentary whatsoever.  Please don't lie about me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:02:06 pm by Concerned »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

That right there was funny I don't care who you are!   :silly:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

Oh for Cripes sake @Suppressed    "He got an inheritance more than $1 million" .... like you effing know.  And please, don't waste my time quoting from the likes of Salon as the source of your "knowledge".

LOL!

So you discount the fact that he got a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars?

I give credit where due.  But this guy can't stick with facts...he always has to embellish!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn