Author Topic: Georgia lawmakers pass tax bill without Delta break  (Read 387 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Georgia lawmakers pass tax bill without Delta break
« on: March 02, 2018, 01:13:46 pm »
March 1 (UPI) -- Georgia lawmakers passed a tax overhaul bill Thursday after cutting a tax exemption that would benefit Delta Airlines.

House Bill 918, which includes the first income tax cut in state history, passed Georgia's Senate by a vote of 44-10 and its House by a vote of 135-24.

"What is important is not that [tax break] any more but that Georgians are going to get their tax relief and we couldn't let that fall victim to everything that was going on with Delta," Republican House Speaker David Ralston said.

Georgia's Senate Rules Committee voted to strike a part of the bill that would have eliminated the state's tax on jet fuels, resulting in a $50 million tax break for Delta Airlines after the company decided to cut a discount program for National Rifle Association members.

After Delta's decision, Republican Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said he would "kill" any legislation benefitting Delta.

Gov. Nathan Deal supported the jet fuel tax break, but said he would sign the bill without it, as he couldn't veto a measure that also amounted to a sweeping tax cut for residents.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/03/01/Georgia-lawmakers-pass-tax-bill-without-Delta-break/6891519951582/

Boo Hoo Delta.   You screwed the pooch with your stupid little game. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Georgia lawmakers pass tax bill without Delta break
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:20:55 pm »
Bad idea. As much I hated Delta for no longer giving NRA members discounts, I don't like the idea of the Government punishing companies any political stance they don't approve of.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 01:24:33 pm »
Bad idea. As much I hated Delta for no longer giving NRA members discounts, I don't like the idea of the Government punishing companies any political stance they don't approve of.

Delta could always leave the state and set up shop in some other state. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:48:55 pm »
The number of Delta Air Lines passengers who bought tickets with NRA discount: 13
The number of Delta fliers who bought tickets with NRA discount: Only 13 [sic]
Author: Bart Jansen, USA TODAY
Published: 10:21 AM EST March 2, 2018
Updated: 2:33 PM EST March 2, 2018
http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/nation-now/the-number-of-delta-air-lines-passengers-who-bought-tickets-with-nra-discount-13/465-f3c2431b-ec3d-469e-8799-5060e998ecb2

How many airline passengers does it take to kill a $40 million tax break for Delta Air Lines? Only 13.

The Georgia legislature removed a jet-fuel tax break from a larger tax package Thursday. Lawmakers were upset that Delta, which is headquartered in Atlanta, dropped the National Rifle Association from a discount-fare program in an effort to appear neutral on gun policy.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:18:15 pm »
Supressed wrote:
"How many airline passengers does it take to kill a $40 million tax break for Delta Air Lines? Only 13."

This is rich.
Serves 'em right!
(Delta, that is)