Author Topic: Netherlands to Build First Solar Farm That Will Float in the Ocean  (Read 925 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Netherlands has a problem. There’s no space in the country to put a giant solar farm. Land is at a premium in the Low Countries, and so the cost of building large solar farms is much higher than practically anywhere else in the world. So far, this trouble has caused the Netherlands to lag behind other countries when it comes to transitioning to renewable energy.

As a solution, the Netherlands is considering building its solar farms on the surface of the ocean. Reuters is reporting that an offshore seaweed farm will be turned into a floating solar farm over the next three years, paving the way for a solar-powered Dutch future.

The project will begin with a test, a 30 square meter solar farm about nine miles off the coast of the Hague. The farm will be positioned between two existing offshore wind turbines and connected to the same cables, meaning the project won’t require any additional infrastructure.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a18197171/netherlands-to-build-a-solar-farm-that-will-float-in-the-ocean/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=021918
Can anybody think of something that can wrong here or an unintended consequence of placing it here?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Re: Netherlands to Build First Solar Farm That Will Float in the Ocean
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:06 pm »
I put solar (usually combination wind/solar) units on remote offshore platforms for years.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:43:36 pm »
I put solar (usually combination wind/solar) units on remote offshore platforms for years.
Like this?

This does seem a bit more dramatic than simply using a solar grid to assist on a platform.

What I read they are envisioning a huge solar farm floating in the water to power communities.

Huges swaths of water will have considerable changes in temperature and sunlight penetration, which is likely to affect life in the ocean.

Think windmills that chop up bird life as an example.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:18:50 pm »
Because the Netherlands has so much solar?   **nononono*