Author Topic: McConnell: GOP expects to lose Senate, House seats in midterms  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: McConnell: GOP expects to lose Senate, House seats in midterms
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2018, 06:45:52 pm »
Yeah, but...that would be work – and hard, too.

Hm, maybe that’s why it’s called hard work?

Yep.  So much easier to whine and do nothing.  (unless you count the tilting at windmills thing)
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online DB

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2018, 06:52:50 pm »
I'm glad Invar has a friend in the Doom and Gloom world.

Things are not that bad and they're getting better.  Trump IS doing some good, at least on the economic front.  I watched Rush on Chris Wall-ass (as they call him on TOS) and he cheered me up.  He thinks Trump has made enormous strides.

For example, Chris brought up the 'not getting rid of Obamacare' thing and Rush pointed out that the very worst part of it is gone.

I think it is tilting at windmills to vote for Mickey Mouse because we have too many selfish, cowardly people in the Senate.  You will only enable Dems to take over.  How about working hard to get real conservatives elected?

Invar has far more than one or even a few friends here. Spending more borrowed money growing government is not "a good thing". It is the single biggest threat to destroy our and our children's future. It is not mathematically possible to continue doing what we're doing - no matter how well we party living on borrowed time in the meantime.

Regarding Obamacare having the worst taken away... Wow... No... All the government mandates are still there run by the federal government dictating what is and isn't covered and what policies can be offered. But now instead of pseudo medical welfare (a mandate that you pay something in for your guaranteed subsidized care) they turned it into full welfare. And you think that is a "good thing"... Just wow...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2018, 06:53:57 pm »
What you're hanging your hat on are not permanent legislative accomplishments.

There are no "permanent" legislative accomplishments.  You do the best you can, with what you have.

This site appears a gathering place, for many who throw their hands up in despair, at anything short of 100% of what they want.

Almost all of the disappointment with the legislature by "conservatives," ought to be centered on about 5 Senators.

They are allowed to wear the label Republican, but they fail to support the Republican policy positions much of the time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2018, 06:55:26 pm »

Your normalcy bias is a freight train bearing down on you.  But, hey - if you want to pretend the railroad tracks you are standing on is the Yellow Brick Road - who are we to stop you?

For example, Chris brought up the 'not getting rid of Obamacare' thing and Rush pointed out that the very worst part of it is gone.

Republicans are discussing the need to bring it back because the insurance companies cannot cover the costs without healthy people being part of the risk pools.  They concede only way to achieve that is government mandated participation in the risk pool - or, a complete and total multi-trillion dollar health insurance industry taxpayer bailout.

The 'worst part' is not gone.  Like Dracula - it will come back, bigger, badder and meaner than before - probably with a big fat "R" in the sponsorship.

You will only enable Dems to take over.

We no longer see a difference.

How about working hard to get real conservatives elected?

The Republican party has changed its rules to prevent that in national contests and has worked tirelessly in concert with Democrats to destroy and defeat Conservative candidates with Establishment liberals.  They have also openly advocated voting for the Democrat in general elections when their candidates lost to a real Conservative.

The suggestion is pointless.  Real Conservatives are marginalized and neutered by their own party leadership if they make it through an election.

Our memories are not limited to last week. 

That reality freight train is about to become a very rude experience for you in November, because the GOP's former Conservative base is not bothering with voting for them anymore.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Concerned

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2018, 07:02:36 pm »

Things are not that bad and they're getting better.  Trump IS doing some good, at least on the economic front.  I watched Rush on Chris Wall-ass (as they call him on TOS) and he cheered me up.  He thinks Trump has made enormous strides.

I think it is tilting at windmills to vote for Mickey Mouse because we have too many selfish, cowardly people in the Senate.  You will only enable Dems to take over.  How about working hard to get real conservatives elected?

Look, if you're happy with Trump's level of fiscal conservatism, you're entitled to that opinion.  I'm not.  He said he would attack the debt.  in fact, he said he could eliminate it in 8 years instead he's adding to it........massively.  He said he would propose a Constitutional Amendment within the first 100 days establishing term limits.  This was 100% within his control.  He chose not to do it (without term limits many hard choices just won't get made).  He said he'd "lock her up".  She's still walking around. He said "Mexico will pay for the wall" (over and over and over again he said it).  Instead he wants to appropriate $25B for US taxpayers to pay for the wall.   He insists on not tackling entitlements. 

Fiscally, I don't think it matters if the Dems or the Reps are in power, they just all want to spend, spend spend......and spend money we don't have.  Would Hillary really have put together a budget that added more to the debt than the $7T Trump's own budget recognizes he'll add to it?  I have my doubts about that.   JMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2018, 07:15:40 pm »
There are no "permanent" legislative accomplishments.  You do the best you can, with what you have.

This site appears a gathering place, for many who throw their hands up in despair, at anything short of 100% of what they want.

Almost all of the disappointment with the legislature by "conservatives," ought to be centered on about 5 Senators.

They are allowed to wear the label Republican, but they fail to support the Republican policy positions much of the time.

It's far from 100% for me, but things are certainly a matter of priority.  My personal top 5 issues (in no particular order) are:  fiscal responsibility, national security, truthfulness and honesty, law and order, and term limits.

I'm a fiscal conservative.  In this regards, Trump has failed miserably IMO.  On truthfulness and honesty, Team Trump has failed miserably over and over and over and over again.  Trump has done well on national security issues (e.g., removing rules of engagement in the fight against ISIS), and I've given him credit for that.  On law and order, I really looked forward to "lock her up", and Trump's attacks against the FBI are self-serving rather than constructive IMO.  Trump promised to propose a Term Limit Constitutional Amendment within his first 100 days.  He chose not to.

During the campaign he said that he alone could fix Washington.  I suspected him to be a liar and a self-centered charlatan, and I believe his words and his actions in office have proven me correct.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online libertybele

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:10 am »

Doom and gloom?????  Things are pretty darn gloomy when we are potentially looking at losing our rule of law as there seems to be complete failure to hold those within the DOJ (pas and present) responsible for their corruption. Also, we can work as hard as we can to try to get real conservatives elected; but when you have the leader of the Senate and the NRSC working to ensure that conservatives DO NOT get in, it makes it very difficult to do so. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2018, 08:47:40 am »

Do you believe I am getting 99% of what I want and whining about the missing 1%?  I think that is hysterical hyperbole, but despite this, I do not think you are irrational.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2018, 12:46:49 am »
Are you reading this @Mesaclone?  This is the overwhelming response and reaction we are receiving when discussing the failure of the Republican party and brand in our efforts to get these Conservatives out of your wholly-corrupted and useless party and into a third party that you fear and despise so much.

There is absolutely no reason any Conservative should vote for a Republican when the Republican Party holds them in contempt while passing the Democrat agenda.

And you and your party are about to discover just how disgusted and finished with it many Conservatives are.

Fool us once, shame on us.  Fool us countless times over decades - we are just practicing insanity voting for Republicans expecting Conservative results.

That message now resonates because the fruits of your party being just another arm of Big Government Statism is become self-evident.

If, by "overwhelming", you mean 2-3% of conservatives...sure. And if everyone you consider a "pure" conservative joined your little imaginary 3rd party...you'd top out at, maybe, 30%. Probably a good bit less. So, please inform us how you plan to implement a conservative agenda with nowhere near 50% support... amongst the populace without destroying Constitutional government.

How do you plan to govern with a minority? Let me help you on that one...you can't. You'd have to form a coalition that would pull in the other 20...but as you've made clear...such coalitions are the root of all evil. In short...you "plan" absolutely stinks.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain