Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 11623 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
    @Wingnut You are way out of line if you are inferring that @LauraTXNM is anything other than a New Member worthy of all of ours respect. Your attitude is incomprehensible, to me anyway.

Laura you have officially meet one of the curmudgeons here (there's not many), The rest of US Love you and give you the benefit of the doubt as a Newbie.   

Thank you, Corbe, and Mystery, and everyone!  I am sure there are things I agree and disagree with some posters about.  But I appreciate the fact that Mystery's site is not an echo chamber, and you all have substantive discussions and disagreements.  I don't know answers to many if any questions, and I'd like to learn from you all.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline RoosGirl

Does a background check access that info, in case the purchaser lies?  If a crazy person is buying a gun, I'm not sure why s/he'd tell the truth on the form.

It does, if the info has been reported.

Offline LauraTXNM

Concealability

Really?!  That seems even crazier.  They trust 18-year-olds enough to vote and enlist, but not to carry a handgun?  Doesn't FL have concealed carry?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

It does, if the info has been reported.

So the problem is reporting requirements for mental illness?

Offline corbe

Are you one of those 'first sight' saps...?    :tongue2:

No @edpc Couldn't find my glasses this morning took the Blue Pill instead of the red one, I even proposed to the girl at the grocery store this afternoon.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

So the problem is reporting requirements for mental illness?

I think the problem is enforcement of the requirement to report mental illness.

Offline RoosGirl

Really?!  That seems even crazier.  They trust 18-year-olds enough to vote and enlist, but not to carry a handgun?  Doesn't FL have concealed carry?

Yes, we have concealed carry.

Offline LauraTXNM

No @edpc Couldn't find my glasses this morning took the Blue Pill instead of the red one, I even proposed to the girl at the grocery store this afternoon.

I bat my lashes at you, sir ;).

Offline LauraTXNM

Yes, we have concealed carry.

I thought so.  Why the ban on 18-21 year olds and handguns?  It's a crime prevention measure? 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Yes, but the school is 'gun-free zone' anyway.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RoosGirl

I thought so.  Why the ban on 18-21 year olds and handguns?  It's a crime prevention measure?

I'm not really sure, but I suspect it's for the same reason that 18 year olds can't drink.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:02:26 am by RoosGirl »

Offline LauraTXNM

I'm not really sure, but I suspect it's for the same reason that 18 year olds can't drink.

So ridiculous ;(.

Offline edpc

That's OK.  Every six weeks, I am on after hours on-call duty for technical support. A couple years ago, I was full of Percocet after minor surgery.  I got a call from a hospital in Boston at 2AM.

Somehow, I managed to help them through their problem successfully.  The nurse said, "Thank you, goodnight."

I replied, "Good night, love you."

Offline LauraTXNM

Yes, but the school is 'gun-free zone' anyway.

I know the school had one(!) armed security guard.  Doesnt FL now allow teachers to carry on campus?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Do you have any idea why they created the different rules?

@LauraTXNM

Yes the higher age for handguns was enacted as part of a gun control law.   They thought it would keep handguns away from gangbangers.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

In FL there is no waiting period to buy a rifle/AR15.  Only a handgun. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- this seems really stupid.

He had talked about this for months and owned the rifle for at least months.  3 day waiting period would have had no impact.  Don't ask for new laws that just pretend to but make no real difference.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Right_in_Virginia

They also don't trust 18 year olds enough to purchase alcohol.  Does this upset you?

Offline edpc

They also don't trust 18 year olds enough to purchase alcohol.  Does this upset you?

If you can legally enter a contract, be tried as an adult, or serve your country, you should be able to have a drink.  Make it one consistent standard, not arbitrary numbers for different things.

Offline RoosGirl

Yep.

Offline LauraTXNM

I think it's kind of stupid; my husband is Canadian, and I have friends in Western Europe.  I generally think the inconsistencies here are just silly.

Offline LauraTXNM

He had talked about this for months and owned the rifle for at least months.  3 day waiting period would have had no impact.  Don't ask for new laws that just pretend to but make no real difference.

Sorry, I was unclear.  The discrepancy just seems pointless to me.  You have to wait to buy a handgun, but not an AR15?  (I mean, an adult over 21.).  That just seems pointless.   Waiting period for all or none.

Offline driftdiver

Sorry, I was unclear.  The discrepancy just seems pointless to me.  You have to wait to buy a handgun, but not an AR15?  (I mean, an adult over 21.).  That just seems pointless.   Waiting period for all or none.

@LauraTXNM

The round an ar15 fires is actually less powerful then almost every other round.  Ar15s function the same as many other guns.   They just look different.

Offline LauraTXNM

@LauraTXNM

The round an ar15 fires is actually less powerful then almost every other round.  Ar15s function the same as many other guns.   They just look different.

Right!  So why the change in waiting time?  It seems like a distinction without a difference. 

Offline driftdiver

@LauraTXNM

In Florida you have to wait 3 days for all gun purchases unless you have a concealed permit.

Waiting periods don't do anything.

Offline driftdiver

Right!  So why the change in waiting time?  It seems like a distinction without a difference.

@LauraTXNM

Because gun laws are a hodge podge mess.   Gun controllers have tried to pass any law to make firearm ownership more difficult for law abiding people.  So we end up with a very complicated and useless laws.