Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 11719 times)

Offline roamer_1

Roamer, would you want a twelve-year-old packing at school?  What is your lower age limit on carrying at school?

I ran a trap line after school. I would get off the bus at a farm up the way, and chase the creek home, cleaning and setting my traps. That necessarily means I carried a .22 pistol (for dispatch on the line) in my pack dang near every day to school. And yeah... I was about 12. Maybe even 10...

You obviously don't come from the country. Guns are just a part of living. As are knives. I have never spent a day one since I was a lad without at least one knife in my pocket... School rules be damned.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:59:47 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think it is a huge mistake to focus on the guns and think that can keep people safe from those who have chosen to kill and injure large numbers of innocent.

Restricting the guns will make more people unable to defend themselves.

And we have several demonstrations of recent mass murder without using a gun.  We need to learn how to stop those that will kill others.  We need to learn to not tolerate insane behavior because it might hurt their feelings.

I agree with you.  Instead of pampering certain individuals,  they ALL need to be taught that they alone are responsible for their actions and will suffer consequences if they make bad choices.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I think it is a huge mistake to focus on the guns and think that can keep people safe from those who have chosen to kill and injure large numbers of innocent.

Restricting the guns will make more people unable to defend themselves.

And we have several demonstrations of recent mass murder without using a gun.  We need to learn how to stop those that will kill others.  We need to learn to not tolerate insane behavior because it might hurt their feelings.

I totally agree. I see this as more about mental illness.  But I’m sure there will a few ways it will touch different  parts of our society including education, housing,  gun ownership, etc.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

I ran a trap line after school. I would get off the bus at a farm up the way, and chase the creek home, cleaning and setting my traps. That necessarily means I carried a .22 pistol (for dispatch on the line) in my pack dang near every day to school. And yeah... I was about 12. Maybe even 10...

You obviously don't come from the country. Guns are just a part of living. As are knives. I have never spent a day one since I was a lad without at least one knife in my pocket... School rules be damned.

I’m what you can get about one generation removed from the country.  My family is from Waco, TX, and Salida, CO.   My grandfather rode his horse to school from his dad’s farm — which is still in the family.  We went back annually for “Homecoming” at the family cemetery.  I grew up on the TX NM MX border, about five minutes into the country.  You bet my dad had protection.  My sister owned a pecan farm and kept a sawed-off under her bed and a couple of big dogs for protection — she never ended up using the shotgun, but one of her dogs wounded an intruder who later returned just to killthe dog.   We never traveled without a gun in the car.  When my mom moved to Los Angeles I had to warn her about driving around with it.  Same with knives.  I had to explain to my sister why my son couldn’t carry a pocket knife to school.   

I grew up around guns, but I was always too busy reading to be really interested.  I am trying to educate myself, and since my family has all died off, you are the intelligent people who have the same background as my family and discuss these issues.  There are a lot of Americans out there who no longer have that connection. I, for one, am trying to bridge the gap.  I am here to learn.

Sorry I wasted your time.

Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline aligncare

Ok, we’re in a morally bankrupt society.  So for dealing with the dangerous mentally ill, we need to create more institutions and also empower police and social services to step in when parents won’t or can’t?

Use of socratic debate is a nice touch. I hope that’s because it’s just how you roll and not because you’re doing a paper for poly sci. By some of those questions one might be drawn to suspect the latter if one were suspicious by nature. As it happens, I’m not. ^-^

Offline LauraTXNM

Use of socratic debate is a nice touch. I hope that’s because it’s just how you roll and not because you’re doing a paper for poly sci. By some of those questions one might be drawn to suspect the latter if one were suspicious by nature. As it happens, I’m not. ^-^

Since I just turned 48, it would be unlikely for me to be doing a paper.  And I was a history major.  PoliSci?  Meh.

Offline roamer_1

I grew up around guns, but I was always too busy reading to be really interested.  I am trying to educate myself, and since my family has all died off, you are the intelligent people who have the same background as my family and discuss these issues.  There are a lot of Americans out there who no longer have that connection. I, for one, am trying to bridge the gap.  I am here to learn.

You are not wasting my time.
'Bridging the gap' is impossible, because the more urbane believe in a false sense of security, and a dependence upon services that skew their thinking.

The principles remain the very same. Your folks no doubt taught you to do for yourself, And that necessarily remains, no matter where you are.

NO ONE will protect you in the city, any more than in the country (in fact, I would assert even less in the city). As always, you must protect yourself. What you propose limits your own ability to do so in context.

Offline LauraTXNM

You are not wasting my time.
'Bridging the gap' is impossible, because the more urbane believe in a false sense of security, and a dependence upon services that skew their thinking.

The principles remain the very same. Your folks no doubt taught you to do for yourself, And that necessarily remains, no matter where you are.

NO ONE will protect you in the city, any more than in the country (in fact, I would assert even less in the city). As always, you must protect yourself. What you propose limits your own ability to do so in context.

Never mind. 

Offline roamer_1

Never mind.

Let me ask you a question:

Say your own child was inside the school in Florida as the shooter was on his rampage.
Say you are out front with the other parents, not knowing what was going on...
Would you be more or less comforted knowing that your own baby in there was packing a pistol?

The answer is self evident.

Offline LauraTXNM

Let me ask you a question:

Say your own child was inside the school in Florida as the shooter was on his rampage.
Say you are out front with the other parents, not knowing what was going on...
Would you be more or less comforted knowing that your own baby in there was packing a pistol?

The answer is self evident.

My son goes to a Jewish day school.  We’ve been dealing with this kind of threat for years.  Our kids drill for this WEEKLY.

This was on my school’s radar before Columbine happened. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:31:11 am by LauraTXNM »

Offline roamer_1

My son goes to a Jewish day school.  We’ve been dealing with this kind of threat for years.  Our kids drill for this WEEKLY.

This was on my school’s radar before Columbine happened.

Nice. but that did not answer my question.

Offline thackney

I’m what you can get about one generation removed from the country.  My family is from Waco, TX, and Salida, CO.   My grandfather rode his horse to school from his dad’s farm — which is still in the family.  We went back annually for “Homecoming” at the family cemetery.  I grew up on the TX NM MX border, about five minutes into the country.  You bet my dad had protection.  My sister owned a pecan farm and kept a sawed-off under her bed and a couple of big dogs for protection — she never ended up using the shotgun, but one of her dogs wounded an intruder who later returned just to killthe dog.   We never traveled without a gun in the car.  When my mom moved to Los Angeles I had to warn her about driving around with it.  Same with knives.  I had to explain to my sister why my son couldn’t carry a pocket knife to school.   

You have been a good part of the discussion.  Even when we don't agree, if we can keep the discussion civil, we can all benefit from the discussion.

Cheers!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline LauraTXNM

Nice. but that did not answer my question.

My point is, that my son would never be IN that situation.  It is impossible for me to stand in those shoes.   Sorry if that’s not the answer you’re looking for.

Offline roamer_1

My point is, that my son would never be IN that situation.  It is impossible for me to stand in those shoes.   Sorry if that’s not the answer you’re looking for.

Forgive me, but a fallacy.  :shrug:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@LauraTXNM

Why do you say that
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline LauraTXNM

Forgive me, but a fallacy.  :shrug:

I utterly cannot imagine the situation you describe.  So I can’t answer your question.  Sorry. 

Offline LauraTXNM

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It is passed time, for more of this. I believe firmer hands of adult parenting, and less coddling, will go a great distance to managing "mental illness," in youths. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

I utterly cannot imagine the situation you describe.  So I can’t answer your question.  Sorry.

Neither could all those other parents in Florida.
Normalcy bias - It's a bitch.

No one is ever ready for disaster. But disaster inevitably comes.
No offense meant, but up in here, with thinking like that, you die.

No one ever thinks they are the ones who will be caught out with a busted car in a blizzard.
Reality ensues, and determines whether you are to be a victim, or not.  :shrug:

Offline LauraTXNM

Neither could all those other parents in Florida.
Normalcy bias - It's a bitch.

No one is ever ready for disaster. But disaster inevitably comes.
No offense meant, but up in here, with thinking like that, you die.

No one ever thinks they are the ones who will be caught out with a busted car in a blizzard.
Reality ensues, and determines whether you are to be a victim, or not.  :shrug:

I understand "never saying never;" we live in the anticipation and with the expectation of disaster.  It's not a question of "if" but rather "when".  In our situation, there is much more danger from bombs than guns.  So your question is still outside my ability to answer.  I don't know whether it would be better for my son to have a gun _at school for protection_, with all of the intent and knowledge that entails, or not.  Sometimes there are worse things than death.

Offline roamer_1

I understand "never saying never;" we live in the anticipation and with the expectation of disaster.  It's not a question of "if" but rather "when".  In our situation, there is much more danger from bombs than guns.  So your question is still outside my ability to answer.  I don't know whether it would be better for my son to have a gun _at school for protection_, with all of the intent and knowledge that entails, or not.  Sometimes there are worse things than death.

WOW.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"Please, this is the 18th one this year. That's unacceptable. We are children. You guys are the adults," David Hogg said during an interview on CNN.

First, there have not been 18 this year.  That is a talking point he's getting from an irresponsible adult, somewhere.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/02/16/parkland-school-shooting-no-there-have-not-been-18-school-shootings-already-year-column/343100002/

Also, he says it's the adults that must do something, but he and the Rose McGowan wannabe have been all over television trying to tell us about life.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:00:00 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
"Please, this is the 18th one this year. That's unacceptable. We are children. You guys are the adults," David Hogg said during an interview on CNN.

First, there have not been 18 this year.  That is a talking point he's getting from and irresponsible adult, somewhere.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/02/16/parkland-school-shooting-no-there-have-not-been-18-school-shootings-already-year-column/343100002/

Also, he says it's the adults that must do something, but he and the Rose McGowan wannabe have been all over television trying to tell us about life.

It's a talking point that got started by those two Bloomberg sponsored anti gun organizations and has since been furthered with no research into whether they are factually correct or not by the media.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I bet they'd do just fine on Key Deer.  :laugh:
Any month with an 'R'....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis