Author Topic: Gulf Coast LNG exports soon expected to dominate global market  (Read 937 times)

Offline thackney

Gulf Coast LNG exports soon expected to dominate global market
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:07:09 pm »
Gulf Coast LNG exports soon expected to dominate global market
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Gulf-Coast-LNG-exports-soon-expected-to-dominate-12611461.php
February 14, 2018

The U.S. is soon expected to become a dominant player in the global market for liquefied natural gas as Gulf Coast companies build massive terminals to serve overseas markets and the federal government considers looser regulations for small-scale exports closer to home.

Officials, executives and consultants at the S&P Global Platts annual LNG conference in Houston agreed that the ongoing production boom in West Texas and other shale basins across throughout the country has already begun to transform LNG into a global commodity by shifting trade patterns and longstanding business models elsewhere in the world. They said the U.S. will need to ramp up exports in the coming years as increasingly efficient drilling methods create a domestic supply glut.

"We're going to have too much gas with nowhere to go," said Renato Pereira, vice president of business development and marketing for Houston's Tellurian Inc., an LNG upstart.

The interest in LNG exports, pioneered by Houston's Cheniere Energy in 2016, has intensified amid an ongoing renaissance in U.S. energy production. In West Texas, energy companies have found cheap and effective ways to tap the rich Permian Basin, creating a steady supply of affordable oil and gas for Gulf Coast refiners and exporters....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Gulf Coast LNG exports soon expected to dominate global market
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:08:51 am »
While I applaud the energy here to increase the export side of the equation for the USA, I am somewhat skeptical of the scale being envisioned.

Some or a lot of this may be hyperbole.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Re: Gulf Coast LNG exports soon expected to dominate global market
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:36 pm »
While I applaud the energy here to increase the export side of the equation for the USA, I am somewhat skeptical of the scale being envisioned.

Some or a lot of this may be hyperbole.

Between 2016 and 2020, the United States is expected to account for about half of the 20 billion cubic feet per day of new LNG export capacity worldwide.

https://instituteforenergyresearch.org/analysis/u-s-become-major-lng-exporter/

United States expected to become a net exporter of natural gas this year
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=32412

The United States is currently the world's largest natural gas producer, having surpassed Russia in 2009.

Based on construction plans, EIA expects that by 2020 the United States will have the third-largest LNG export capacity in the world after Australia and Qatar.

- - - - - - - - -

But you are right, rarely do you find third place described as dominating the field.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer