Author Topic: Austinites must work 64 hours to pay a month’s rent  (Read 889 times)

Offline corbe

Austinites must work 64 hours to pay a month’s rent
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:30 pm »

By Kate Winkle
 Published: February 13, 2018, 12:45 pm  |  Updated: February 13, 2018, 1:50 pm 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The average Austinite must work more than a normal work week in order to cover just a month of rent, according to a study examining housing costs in big cities.

With an average hourly wage of $18.64 (with taxes accounted for) and the median price of rent at $1,194 in Austin, SmartAsset calculated it would take about 64 hours for those living in Austin to make enough to cover their housing bills.

<..snip..>

http://kxan.com/2018/02/13/austinites-must-work-64-hours-to-pay-rent/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Austinites must work 64 hours to pay a month’s rent
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:22 pm »

By Kate Winkle
 Published: February 13, 2018, 12:45 pm  |  Updated: February 13, 2018, 1:50 pm 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The average Austinite must work more than a normal work week in order to cover just a month of rent, according to a study examining housing costs in big cities.

With an average hourly wage of $18.64 (with taxes accounted for) and the median price of rent at $1,194 in Austin, SmartAsset calculated it would take about 64 hours for those living in Austin to make enough to cover their housing bills.

<..snip..>

http://kxan.com/2018/02/13/austinites-must-work-64-hours-to-pay-rent/

They say this like this is shocking news (or just news). Housing is generally one's largest expense and on average. I believe the average ratio one looks at for qualifying is 35% (56 hours). Austin is a bit of a higher cost of living town so 64 hours makes complete sense to be above average (but not much).  The Bay Area of California is closer to 50% or 80 hours.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:47 pm »
Those guys panhandling at the I-35 off ramps will have to up there hours.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:02 pm »
Love it.

The top of the article is labelled "kxan,  In Depth.  Investigative".

The article is an entire three paragraphs, which simply quotes someone else's work.

An nowhere in the actual study do they mention accounting for multiple incomes.  Unless that median income is for one bedrooms only, or is average paid by renter, those figures are going to be skewed.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:53 pm »
Then move.