Author Topic: What's wrong with Obama's hand in that official portrait?  (Read 539 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What's wrong with Obama's hand in that official portrait?
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:44:49 pm »
February 13, 2018
What's wrong with Obama's hand in that official portrait?
By Monica Showalter

I'm gonna go out on a limb here: I generally like the Obama official portrait.  It's an odd style, but it expresses him, and what's more, it reflects the art of his era.  It has a background that appears computer-generated as a flowey pattern, with a quite flattering visage of the first black president in a realistic rendition in the foreground.  It's a composition that creates the appearance of vector art mixed with a photograph, very modern in the era of cell phones and quite similar to the mixed-media animation being produced by Hollywood.  I can feel the vibe of Playa del Rey and South Central and Melrose Avenue through this piece. And Obama, of course, spent massive time during his presidency hobnobbing with the likes of Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood bigs at fundraisers around Los Angeles, so it's very him.

It's good just as Peter Hurd's official portrait of Lyndon Baines Johnson was good.  (That was a more-flattering-than-he-deserved portrait, done in the most modern representational style of the era, which was done in the characteristic renditions of this Western artist, who also did this beautiful piece.)  Johnson, inexplicably, hated it and got a poem about it by Richard Wilbur for his idiocy.  Obama, on the other hand, loved his image, which says something about him as well, in more ways than one.

more
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/02/is_something_wrong_with_obamas_hand_in_that_official_portrait.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: What's wrong with Obama's hand in that official portrait?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:52:12 pm »
I suspect this artist(sic) used a projector and copied the painting of Obama off a photo of him sitting (fairly common technique among 'pot boiler' artists). The photo may have been a composite of two images and they didn't fix the hand. You may actually see the hand in two different positions combined into one as it looks like it was rotated down in one and what you are seeing is the pinkey from the composited image. It almost makes him look like he has two pinkeys.

I may want to dig around and see if I can find the source photo unless the artist did his own sitting.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:56:35 pm »
He doesn't have opposable thumbs.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:00:43 pm »
I suspect this artist(sic) used a projector and copied the painting of Obama off a photo of him sitting (fairly common technique among 'pot boiler' artists). The photo may have been a composite of two images and they didn't fix the hand. You may actually see the hand in two different positions combined into one as it looks like it was rotated down in one and what you are seeing is the pinkey from the composited image. It almost makes him look like he has two pinkeys.

I may want to dig around and see if I can find the source photo unless the artist did his own sitting.

Obama claimed yesterday to have sat for the portrait:

Obama quipped that as he sat for the portrait, he tried to “negotiate” that he have less gray hair and smaller ears, but Wiley had too much integrity to make the change.

<snip>

He said that he was not a great subject because “I don’t like posing. I get impatient. I look at my watch and think, ‘This must be done. One of those pictures must have worked. Why is this taking so long.’ So it is pretty tortious trying to take a picture of me, much less paint a portrait.”

http://variety.com/2018/politics/news/obamas-national-portrait-gallery-photos-1202695053/
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:07:37 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:36:30 pm »
Nothing's wrong with it.

The left thumb is wrapped around the arm, which blocks the view of it. The hand is pressed up against the right arm, pushing the soft tissue outward and creating the bulge.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline Millee

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 05:50:50 pm »
He looks like some new age deity in that portrait. 

A reminder of what a anti-American POS he really is.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 05:52:59 pm »
Nothing's wrong with it.

The left thumb is wrapped around the arm, which blocks the view of it. The hand is pressed up against the right arm, pushing the soft tissue outward and creating the bulge.

He must have really soft hands.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »
He must have really soft hands.
A man as vain as he is surely uses lots of moisturizer.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:53 pm »
Like Tom Bradey he had a extra finger added to his hand for a sixth SB ring. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:08:42 pm »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:31:31 pm »
It's not on my wallet?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 12:50:42 am »
He doesn't have opposable thumbs.

Wearing the wedding ring of a Kaffir during Ramadan burned his thumb off.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: