Author Topic: Republicans consider the unthinkable: A gas tax increase to pay for infrastructure  (Read 4088 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I've spent most of my life in places where I drive quite a ways daily, in TX, NM, and now CA, and I'm still not sure what the answer is for the road use tax.  A mileage tax makes the most sense to me, because it affects people in electric and hybrid as well as gas vehicles.  But it is regressive, and people who pay less for housing outside the city then have to pay more to commute.  Here in the Los Angeles area, housing is so expensive that working class people often have to travel long distances to work. 

One thing that always surprises me, is how few people here carpool.

In the DC area, there is a concept known as "slugging".  Basically, drivers pick up "slugs" to give them access to the HOV lanes.

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/how-virginians-slug-more.asp
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

If you bother to read the article Trump isn't proposing this tax. It's your white bread pals in the Chamber of Commerce. You know. The guys who back all of your favorite candidates.

Are you sure Trump doesn't support this idea?  Have any of our so-called journalists bothered to ask? 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I've spent most of my life in places where I drive quite a ways daily, in TX, NM, and now CA, and I'm still not sure what the answer is for the road use tax.  A mileage tax makes the most sense to me, because it affects people in electric and hybrid as well as gas vehicles.  But it is regressive, and people who pay less for housing outside the city then have to pay more to commute.  Here in the Los Angeles area, housing is so expensive that working class people often have to travel long distances to work. 

One thing that always surprises me, is how few people here carpool.
It may be related to the word 'Freedom'.  As long as people can still afford it, it will endure.
Liberals wish all people to be chained into living in big cities and use mass transit in order to control the populace.

We here in the wide-open spaces are here as we enjoy another style of living.

Welcome to GBR, BTW.  Hope your stay is a pleasurable one.
@LauraTXNM
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
By the way, welcome!

Welcome @LauraTXNM

I think you'll like it here
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I agree it is simple, as it forces oil companies to be the tax collectors.  No tax should ever to hidden like that,  One reason I would never favor a VAT.

Fair?

In what way is that fair to people who utilize the highways for their job?

There is zero chance that any added taxes would be targeted for infrastructure anyway.  It doesn't happen now as it simply goes into the general kitty, so why should it be for the new taxes?
Another bout of silence to a question directed at our resident lib.

Why am I surprised?

@Jazzhead
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DB

One could pretty easily argue that everyone benefits from public roads even if they don't have a car. Nearly all the food and other supplies they use are transported over them.

The gas tax isn't a very accurate indicator of the roads required maintenance costs relative to the vehicle the gas is going into.

I'm not very fond of a mileage tax. It gives incentives to hack the odometer to cheat the tax man. It also doesn't discriminate on where those miles were driven. How much on private property, how much in another state or tax district. It will lead to GPS tracking of all cars so that the car is taxed "properly" no matter where it goes... And with that any privacy on your movements. And then insurance companies will demand access to the data so that people who drive fast, go to higher risk areas, etc. can be billed accordingly... The law of unexpected consequences...

Offline DB

One other note... Illegals and similar can avoid the mileage tax by simply doing what they already do, ignore the law. It would be just another benefit to them.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler