Author Topic: Couple sells everything for sailboat. It sinks on day 2  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Couple sells everything for sailboat. It sinks on day 2
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 05:20:10 pm »
@Wingnut
They didn't make it out of the inter coastal water way.    Which means they went about 2 miles and certainly didn't get into the gulf proper.

I can go further in a kayak.

Isn't it painful to be this stupid so publicly?

That explains why they "hit something."  They weren't in deep water.  Either they didn't have a chart of the channel or they could not read it, there's really no excuse for hitting something.  It's like my brother used to tell me about driving my car:  "Bro, there's no excuse for a one-car crash."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 05:26:18 pm »
The GoFundMe is pushing $15K.  Maybe this time they can afford some sailing lessons, nav gear and some insurance.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »
The GoFundMe is pushing $15K.  Maybe this time they can afford some sailing lessons, nav gear and some insurance.

Hell no. They are going to buy the same shitty  boat without any navigation equipment, but they are going to get it wrapped in loud colors with Zen sayings.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
Hell no. They are going to buy the same shitty  boat without any navigation equipment, but they are going to get it wrapped in loud colors with Zen sayings.

Honestly you don't need nav gear to go from where they started to the Keys.   You just follow the coast line and stop when you smell Margaritas.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:17 pm »
@Frank Cannon

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-hunter-260-103094214/?refSource=standard%20listing

An example of what you can get for under 15k.   Not really that bad.   

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:35:58 pm by driftdiver »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 05:54:09 pm »
Honestly you don't need nav gear to go from where they started to the Keys.   You just follow the coast line and stop when you smell Margaritas.

Apparently a chart to tell them where underwater obstacles are located would have been at least a minor help.  (I guess the boat they had had a deep draft.)  And their eventual plans were/are for deep water once they got the hang of not hitting underwater obstacles.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 06:00:01 pm »
@Frank Cannon

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-hunter-260-103094214/?refSource=standard%20listing

An example of what you can get for under 15k.   Not really that bad.

LOL. Yeah right. I have been screwing around with boats for years. The pictures always look better than the actual boat in person. I'll also bet that motor is shot because salt water eats the shit out of them if you don't do constant maintenance, which most sail boat owners never do.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 06:02:55 pm »
Apparently a chart to tell them where underwater obstacles are located would have been at least a minor help.  (I guess the boat they had had a deep draft.)  And their eventual plans were/are for deep water once they got the hang of not hitting underwater obstacles.

IF they knew how to read the chart it might have helped.  I doubt they could and further doubt they had the skills to avoid it even if the had the chart and could read it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 06:03:17 pm »

lol you don't even need that.   That pass is marked with bouys.   Just keep between the red one and green one and you are fine.  At least until you get out into the deep water.   You know where its maybe 20ft deep.   Out a few miles and it gets up to about 50 feet deep.  Not all sandbars are on the charts.

The draft for those size of boats is 2-3 feet.  Definitely a problem at low tide if you are out of the channel.

Oceander

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 06:07:51 pm »
Wow.  The nastiness quotient is high today.  There’s nothing wrong with feeling some sympathy for them, even if their ignorance was their undoing. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 06:15:51 pm »
Wow.  The nastiness quotient is high today.  There’s nothing wrong with feeling some sympathy for them, even if their ignorance was their undoing.

OK, I have sympathy for the ignorant fools.  It's a sad story of millennials, whaa.  They should pay for the costs of their rescue out of the GoFundMe cash before they go buy another boat, and get some lessons and insurance, too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:16:21 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:15 pm »
The draft for those size of boats is 2-3 feet.  Definitely a problem at low tide if you are out of the channel.

You have to account for the keel on a sailboat.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »

Correct.  The story says they hit something in 8-9 feet of water.
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:31 pm »
OK, I have sympathy for the ignorant fools.  It's a sad story of millennials, whaa.  They should pay for the costs of their rescue out of the GoFundMe cash before they go buy another boat, and get some lessons and insurance, too.

@Cyber Liberty
Well the good news is they didnt make it out of the pass, so the rescue was basically throwing them a flotation ring.... ok it was a little more but not much.

I would love a sailboat.   Sail down to the Bahamas or similiar.   But the first step for me to do that is take sailing lessons.

Getting caught in a storm scares the heck outta me.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 06:20:08 pm »

Normally I would agree..but the stupidity of these two is breath taking....

It's like me buying a small airplane and going to start flying... :smokin:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 06:22:25 pm »

@edpc
So about the only sailboats you can get for 15k is up to about a 25' thats 20 to 30 years old.

If you look up 25' sailboats they indicate the draft is between 2 to 3 feet depending on the model.  Some go to 5' with the keel but it really depends on the model.

There are plenty of places in that area which are not that deep, unless you stay in the channel.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 06:26:36 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
Well the good news is they didnt make it out of the pass, so the rescue was basically throwing them a flotation ring.... ok it was a little more but not much.

I would love a sailboat.   Sail down to the Bahamas or similiar.   But the first step for me to do that is take sailing lessons.

Getting caught in a storm scares the heck outta me.

You've told me your hobby is ocean kayaking, IIRC, and if you say something about the sea scares you, then it scares me too.  If I had a question about seafaring, you are probably the guy I'd ask.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:40 pm »
@edpc So about the only sailboats you can get for 15k is up to about a 25' thats 20 to 30 years old.

If you look up 25' sailboats they indicate the draft is between 2 to 3 feet depending on the model.  Some go to 5' with the keel but it really depends on the model.

There are plenty of places in that area which are not that deep, unless you stay in the channel.

The draft and potential keel length sounds like they were just asking for it, with any irregularities on the bottom, given the reported depth.  Almost no margin for error.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 06:30:13 pm »
@edpc
So about the only sailboats you can get for 15k is up to about a 25' thats 20 to 30 years old.

Story says the boat is a 28-footer, so I'd buy your estimates.  Apparently it's a pretty old boat, because they had to put another $5K into it to get it seaworthy.
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »
You've told me your hobby is ocean kayaking, IIRC, and if you say something about the sea scares you, then it scares me too.  If I had a question about seafaring, you are probably the guy I'd ask.

@Cyber Liberty

I went spear fishing with a friend.  He has an old 1960s boat with two newer engines.  We went out 56 miles and the waves were about 8ft.   We'd drop off the boat and he'd throw a weighted plastic jug in to mark us.  With the waves you couldnt see the jugs.   I trust him but wouldnt do it that way with anyone else.  Thinking about being out 56 miles kinda scares me though.

I've been in 4 to 5 foot seas in a kayak.   That was sporty with the wind blowing the waves over the bow.

That said  I'm an amateur when it comes to saling.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 06:41:23 pm »
We still have the Sailboat  Phantom Of the Aqua beached about two miles up the coast from my house.  This Howdy Doody was the guy the Coast Guard plucked of his boot during a Hurricane last summer.   Everyone figured the boat had sunk.  Nope.  Bitch washed up next to the Sandestin Hilton and proceeded to drift up to Miramar Beach where she is catching some rays on the beach.   Owner also Sunk his life saving into the boat and can't afford the money to salvage it.   Couple weeks ago the Coast Guard from Pensacola came over and drained all the Gas, Oil, Coolant took the batteries and hazardous stuff off so it didn't contaminate the beach.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 06:46:55 pm »
We still have the Sailboat  Phantom Of the Aqua beached about two miles up the coast from my house.  This Howdy Doody was the guy the Coast Guard plucked of his boot during a Hurricane last summer.   Everyone figured the boat had sunk.  Nope.  Bitch washed up next to the Sandestin Hilton and proceeded to drift up to Miramar Beach where she is catching some rays on the beach.   Owner also Sunk his life saving into the boat and can't afford the money to salvage it.   Couple weeks ago the Coast Guard from Pensacola came over and drained all the Gas, Oil, Coolant took the batteries and hazardous stuff off so it didn't contaminate the beach.

Can't anybody with the bucks come and salvage it now, or does this guy have to officially sign off his rights to the vessel?  Seems to me at some point it should be considered abandoned.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:10 pm »
LOL. Yeah right. I have been screwing around with boats for years. The pictures always look better than the actual boat in person. I'll also bet that motor is shot because salt water eats the shit out of them if you don't do constant maintenance, which most sail boat owners never do.

When he was in high school, my bother was friends with the son of a retired Master Chief.  Once his friend went to college, the dad sold their sailboat, since he no longer had dependable free maintenance.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:39 pm »
These idiots remind me of some folks outside of Sacramento.
They got lost in one of those corn maze things, and called 9-1-1 to help get 'em out.
(Paid to go into the cornfield maze thing, no less).
I laughed my rear end off, and turned to my friend, and said "Well, it's over. It was fun while it lasted, but humanity is done".

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 06:52:58 pm »
Can't anybody with the bucks come and salvage it now, or does this guy have to officially sign off his rights to the vessel?  Seems to me at some point it should be considered abandoned.

I seem to recall the cost to salvage is 20 to 30K   Boat is worth 5.   Guy walked away
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."