Author Topic: Couple sells everything for sailboat. It sinks on day 2  (Read 3991 times)

Oceander

Re: Couple sells everything for sailboat. It sinks on day 2
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
Normally I would agree..but the stupidity of these two is breath taking....

It's like me buying a small airplane and going to start flying... :smokin:

You mean like in the good old days, before goobmint regulation, when anybody with a couple of bucks could pick up a surplus Jenny and become a barnstormer?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 07:01:34 pm »
I seem to recall the cost to salvage is 20 to 30K   Boat is worth 5.   Guy walked away

A lot of the boats for sale have some hurricane damage.   I've seen some that had water stains in the cabin.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 07:04:24 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Lee_Graham

"Robin Lee Graham (born March 5, 1949) is an American sailor. He set out to sail around the world alone as a teenager in the summer of 1965. National Geographic Magazine ( Oct. '68, April '69, Oct. '70) carried the story, and he co-wrote a book, titled Dove, detailing his journey.

Before beginning his around-the-world journey, Graham had sailed alone from California to Hawaii on July 21, 1965. However, he declared the official starting point of his around-the-world journey to be Hawaii, where he and his family lived at the time. At the age of sixteen, he started out heading west in his 24-foot sloop. He was originally given two kittens for company, that he named Joliette and Suzette, and through his travels lost and gained several more, ultimately docking with Kili, Pooh, and Piglet. He married along the way and, after almost five years, ended his journey in Los Angeles instead of finishing his around-the-world journey where he started in Hawaii. He and his wife, Patti Ratterree, briefly attended Stanford University, then settled in Montana.

Graham's book about his voyage, Dove, was published in 1972. His voyage was depicted in a film, The Dove (1974). A follow-up book, Home Is The Sailor, was published in 1983."

-------------------------------------

For a time, I was fascinated with sailing.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 07:13:03 pm »

"Robin Lee Graham (born March 5, 1949) is an American sailor. He set out to sail around the world alone as a teenager in the summer of 1965. National Geographic Magazine ( Oct. '68, April '69, Oct. '70) carried the story, and he co-wrote a book, titled Dove, detailing his journey.

Before beginning his around-the-world journey, Graham had sailed alone from California to Hawaii on July 21, 1965. However, he declared the official starting point of his around-the-world journey to be Hawaii, where he and his family lived at the time. At the age of sixteen, he started out heading west in his 24-foot sloop. He was originally given two kittens for company, that he named Joliette and Suzette, and through his travels lost and gained several more, ultimately docking with Kili, Pooh, and Piglet. He married along the way and, after almost five years, ended his journey in Los Angeles instead of finishing his around-the-world journey where he started in Hawaii. He and his wife, Patti Ratterree, briefly attended Stanford University, then settled in Montana.

Graham's book about his voyage, Dove, was published in 1972. His voyage was depicted in a film, The Dove (1974). A follow-up book, Home Is The Sailor, was published in 1983."

-------------------------------------

For a time, I was fascinated with sailing.

I loved the book about his trip when I was young. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 07:16:19 pm »
You have to account for the keel on a sailboat.

They cut the Keel off the boat because the word sounded racist to them and they didn't want to be triggered on their trip.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 07:19:07 pm »
They cut the Keel off the boat because the word sounded racist to them and they didn't want to be triggered on their trip.

Hope they never go to Scotland.  Hearing 'kilt' might cause permanent damage.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »

Didn't Graham grow up in a boating family and was extremely experienced for his age, unlike these inland Snowflakes?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 07:32:21 pm »
Didn't Graham grow up in a boating family and was extremely experienced for his age, unlike these inland Snowflakes?

And not once did he receive a Participation Trophy.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 07:45:08 pm »

That is probably correct. But a 16 yr. old in a 24 ft. vessel, was very noteworthy at the time, and remains so in my view.

Top is a 23 ft. Marlin.

First singlehanded circumnavigation: Joshua Slocum, Canadian by birth, American by naturalization.

Spray

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Slocum
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln