Author Topic: House Freedom Caucus opposes GOP budget proposal  (Read 605 times)

Offline Concerned

House Freedom Caucus opposes GOP budget proposal
« on: February 08, 2018, 01:19:01 pm »
The conservative House Freedom Caucus (HFC) on Wednesday came out in opposition to the GOP's budget proposal that raises debt limits and does away with government spending caps.

The caucus tweeted its official position against the measure, citing the bipartisan Senate deal's massive expansion of the federal government.

"Official position: HFC opposes the caps deal. We support funding our troops, but growing the size of government by 13 percent is not what the voters sent us here to do," the caucus said.

I'm glad to see this.  How can any true conservative support this level of spending, much less sign it into law (assuming it passes)?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-freedom-caucus-opposes-gop-budget-proposal/ar-BBIPVwT
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: House Freedom Caucus opposes GOP budget proposal
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:06:24 pm »
This is not a budget.  It is simply another proposal to fund the government with limited exceptions.

Until we get a Congress willing to actually spell out what costs we should be funding or not, this is Kabuki theater run by McConnell and Ryan.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Concerned

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:12:36 pm »
This is not a budget.  It is simply another proposal to fund the government with limited exceptions.

Until we get a Congress willing to actually spell out what costs we should be funding or not, this is Kabuki theater run by McConnell and Ryan.

It's a budget proposal as noted in the OP.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 02:15:27 pm »

@IsailedawayfromFR

For the first time in a LONG time the House actually passed a budget this year and sent it to the senate where it resides without action!  I think Ryan is not the culprit this time!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:15:32 pm »
Will their opposition be enough? I respect and support their opposition. But the writing is already on the wall where this is heading
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:27:06 pm »
It's a budget proposal as noted in the OP.
You can call it a budget if you like, but it is not.

A budget is one which discretely looks at expenditures during the course of the year.  This 'budget', besides being more than a year, is more of continuing resolution of expenditures from prior years.

All these departments made requests to be included within the budget.  Little real work has been done by Congress to investigate the worthwhileness of the expenditures.

At the very least, any item within the budget should have a remark by Congress on its constitutional basis; if it does not contain, it should be discarded.

To demonstrate how laughable this 'budget' is considered by Congress, a 'cut' in the budget merely means that approval is made of a lower number not from prior years, but of the requested amount of the department which may be much higher than last year. In other words, a 'cut' can actually increase the budget.  Only in DC.

That is asinine and indicative of how we have become a top-heavy bureaucratic nation instead of a republic nation, and why we have a runaway debt we have to service.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Concerned

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 05:38:24 pm »
You can call it a budget if you like, but it is not.

A budget is one which discretely looks at expenditures during the course of the year.  This 'budget', besides being more than a year, is more of continuing resolution of expenditures from prior years.

All these departments made requests to be included within the budget.  Little real work has been done by Congress to investigate the worthwhileness of the expenditures.

At the very least, any item within the budget should have a remark by Congress on its constitutional basis; if it does not contain, it should be discarded.

To demonstrate how laughable this 'budget' is considered by Congress, a 'cut' in the budget merely means that approval is made of a lower number not from prior years, but of the requested amount of the department which may be much higher than last year. In other words, a 'cut' can actually increase the budget.  Only in DC.

That is asinine and indicative of how we have become a top-heavy bureaucratic nation instead of a republic nation, and why we have a runaway debt we have to service.

I simply quoted "The Hill" article that noted it was a "budget proposal".  Perhaps you like the President's term better:  "Budget Agreement" (which is also what Breitbart called it):

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

The Budget Agreement today is so important for our great Military. It ends the dangerous sequester and gives Secretary Mattis what he needs to keep America Great. Republicans and Democrats must support our troops and support this Bill!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:56:09 pm »
I'm glad to see this.  How can any true conservative support this level of spending, much less sign it into law (assuming it passes)?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-freedom-caucus-opposes-gop-budget-proposal/ar-BBIPVwT

:amen:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 11:36:14 pm »
In view of this "proposal", the "1% reduction alternative" that Rand Paul introduced a few days' back doesn't seem that bad, after all...

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 04:30:09 pm »
I simply quoted "The Hill" article that noted it was a "budget proposal".  Perhaps you like the President's term better:  "Budget Agreement" (which is also what Breitbart called it):
At the very best, it is a supplement to spending.

It simply raises what we already were spending without a budget to a higher level without a budget.  It does NOT fund the government, just authorizes more spending.

See details  https://twitter.com/thomaskaplan