Author Topic: 'Twin Peaks dam' breaking with dismissal of 13 cases, biker's lawyer says  (Read 791 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Waco Trib by Tommy Witherspoon 2/8/2017

An attorney for one of the bikers indicted in the deadly 2015 Twin Peaks shootout said it appears the “Twin Peaks dam” is starting to break with the dismissal of charges against 13 bikers Thursday.

Meanwhile, the same attorney, Brian Bouffard, said McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna only dropped the cases in a show of “moral cowardice by an elected official” to avoid adverse testimony at a scheduled Thursday hearing to disqualify his office.

Two district judges signed orders submitted to them by the DA’s office Thursday morning dismissing charges against 13 bikers arrested in the May 17, 2015, Twin Peaks shootout and two recusing the McLennan County District Attorney’s Office in two other biker cases.

Besides the 13 dismissals, prosecutor Michael Jarrett told the judges that Reyna also intends to formally refuse eight more cases against bikers who were arrested, but have not been indicted in the shootout that left nine dead and dozens injured.

The dismissals came hours before a hearing scheduled for Thursday afternoon at which two bikers were asking to disqualify Reyna from handling their cases on a variety of grounds.

That hearing was canceled in light of Reyna’s actions.

Reyna did not return phone calls seeking comment Thursday and declined to provide the Tribune-Herald with a written statement he prepared about the dismissals.

Judge Ralph Strother, of Waco’s 19th State District Court, said Thursday he plans to ask the Texas Attorney General’s Office prosecutorial assistance division to take over prosecution of the case against biker Billy McRee. Reyna agreed to recuse his office in that case, while he dismissed the case against Jorge Salinas.

More: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/twin-peaks-dam-breaking-with-dismissal-of-cases-biker-s/article_bf4f69ad-bcd8-53f6-bb8c-6386003f1477.html

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: 'Twin Peaks dam' breaking with dismissal of 13 cases, biker's lawyer says
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:12:17 pm »
http://www.centexproud.com/news/local/several-twin-peaks-cases-dismissed/960784936

Abel Reyna's Statement:

"Earlier today, my office filed 13 motions to dismiss, 2 voluntary recusals, and 8 Refusals for
Prosecution on cases stemming from the violence that occurred at Twin Peaks. As stated in
each of the motions, “While probable cause for the Defendant’s arrest and prosecution remains,
based on continued investigation, the State is exercising its prosecutorial discretion in dismissing
this matter in order to focus its efforts and resources on co-defendants with a higher level of
culpability.” These dismissals should not be considered an exoneration of the individual
defendants or the gangs they belong to."

"As District Attorney, my sole driving force is to see that justice is served for the good people of
McLennan County. While the arrest and indictments of these individuals was soundly based in
the law, I have made the decision to dismiss these matters in order to focus our attention on
defendants even more culpable in the Twin Peaks violence."

"This effort to narrow our focus has been ongoing since the trial that took place last fall. While
the result of the trial was not what we desired, the information gleaned through trial was
invaluable in our continued investigation of these matters."

"This decision should not be viewed as “folding” or “giving up” by any means. Rather, this is an
effort to narrow in on those more culpable without expending your precious judicial resources on
lower level gang members. I firmly believe this strategy can still achieve the impact of the
message that our community will not tolerate gang violence in any form."

"We will continue to review and investigate the pending cases. It is entirely possible that other
cases may require similar action while others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
As the public is aware, we have been awaiting evidence in the possession of the U.S. Attorney’s
office in San Antonio. We have requested this evidence, but will not be permitted to view this
evidence until the conclusion of the federal trial sometime in March. We anticipate that this
long awaited evidence will be released within 60 to 75 days. Once received, we will commit to
making additional decisions in each of the Twin Peaks cases within 30 days from receipt of that
evidence. Each of those decision will be with the original objective in mind: to see that justice
is brought to the individuals and groups responsible for these killings."

"While outlaw motorcycle gang defense attorneys and their sympathizers may say that this is an
effort to avoid a hearing, this is simply not the case. The continued abuse of the criminal justice
process and repeated attempts at political smear tactics are nothing more than an attempt to vote
me out of office, avoid justice and distract from the events of May 17th, 2015."

"I have seen and heard the allegations made against me. Let me be clear, I have NEVER shown
favoritism to friends or supporters. I have followed my oath to do the right thing at every turn.
I do not use, nor have I ever used drugs and in fact, sit on the Cenikor board dealing with drug
and alcohol abuse. I have no higher political ambition than to serve each of you as the District
Attorney of McLennan County. I was born here. I grew up here. I live here. I will give my
all to make sure McLennan County is a better place for our children to grow up. McLennan
County justice is not just a passion for me; it is in my blood, my soul and heart. Justice is not a
political game. It is at the heart of everything we do. I will not be deterred by the political
opportunism of my opponents and their ilk. We will push back and in the end, we will prevail.
With God as my witness, justice will be served in this matter."

- Abel Reyna