Author Topic: Trump administration takes aim at California desert protection plan  (Read 1128 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
The Trump administration is threatening to scrap a major Obama-era agreement that sought to protect millions of acres of the California desert by placing sensitive areas off-limits to major solar- and wind-energy installations.

The Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan covers more than 10.8 million acres and was designed to guide energy facilities to parcels where they are least likely to cause environmental damage. The administration's announcement that it will reconsider the plan touched off an immediate backlash in the West. The Trump administration's action could also open up sensitive desert areas to off-road vehicles, mining and grazing.

"Scrapping the plan now is a complete waste of time and money, and I oppose this," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.). Other leaders in California agreed. The California Energy Commission, which took a lead role in developing the desert management plan, says the state will have no problem meeting its aggressive clean-energy goals without rolling back the protections.

The move by the administration comes as some energy firms and local governments complained the plan was too restrictive, placing off-limits land they have been seeking to develop.

[excerpted]

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-desert-solar-20180201-story.html

Yet, the Antelope Valley (where I reside) is being plowed under to make room for apparently thousands of acres of solar farms without a damn thing being done to abate the dust lifted up as a result of their clearing the land.  Cases of Valley Fever (a fungal infection of the lungs) is skyrocketing in the area and it appears that no one in Sacramento gives a damn.  So, clean air and peoples' health are secondary in the leftist's quest for "clean" energy.  Will regulate diesels and autos to death but do nothing about the dust and fungal spores.  Spit.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Trump administration takes aim at California desert protection plan
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:50:29 pm »
The Trump administration is threatening to scrap a major Obama-era agreement that sought to protect millions of acres of the California desert by placing sensitive areas off-limits to major solar- and wind-energy installations.

The Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan covers more than 10.8 million acres and was designed to guide energy facilities to parcels where they are least likely to cause environmental damage. The administration's announcement that it will reconsider the plan touched off an immediate backlash in the West. The Trump administration's action could also open up sensitive desert areas to off-road vehicles, mining and grazing.

"Scrapping the plan now is a complete waste of time and money, and I oppose this," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.). Other leaders in California agreed. The California Energy Commission, which took a lead role in developing the desert management plan, says the state will have no problem meeting its aggressive clean-energy goals without rolling back the protections.

The move by the administration comes as some energy firms and local governments complained the plan was too restrictive, placing off-limits land they have been seeking to develop.

[excerpted]

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-desert-solar-20180201-story.html
I'm kind of torn on this one, I hate seeing so much land being put off limits to use by the public and would like to see that stopped, but I really hate the idea of more solar and wind farms. It's not OK for weekenders to off road and ride in these sensitive environmental areas but it's not only OK by, but advocated by many Gaia worshipers to destroy and cover acre upon acre of these so important eco systems and habitats to build giant Mr. Chop Cops and solar ovens to destroy  avians, including protected raptors important pollinators.